Pain Management Clinic
Pain is the second most common reason people visit a doctor. Usually it is a protective sign, warning of disease or injury. However, when pain persists or worsens despite treatment of disease or recovery from injury, it may become an overwhelming and confusing disability. This is chronic pain.
More than 50 million Americans suffer from some form of chronic pain, which may affect every part of life. Unrelieved pain has many negative effects on an individual, including withdrawal from normal activities like work or hobbies, inactivity, drug dependence and disruptions in relationships with family members and friends.
At University Physicians Anesthesiology Pain Management Clinic, we help patients by easing or eliminating their pain while teaching them skills that will make living with pain easier. Inpatient and outpatient services are available to those who experience acute or chronic pain. Our team is led by anesthesiologists who specialize in pain management.
Robert Fisher, DO
University Physicians Anesthesiology Pain Management Clinic specializes in providing diagnosis and treatment of:
- Post-trauma pain
- Spinal pain, including neck. lower back and thoracic pain
- Facial and myofacial pain
- Limb pain caused by diabetes neuropathy
- Chronic regional pain syndrome I and II (reflex sympathetic dystrophy and causalgia)
- Joint and arthritic pain
- Cancer pain
- Trigger point pain
- Herpes zoster or post-herpetic neuralgia
- Neuropathies such as diabetic and peripheral conditions
Methods of treatment include:
- Nerve blocks such as epidural steroids, facet joint injections and sympathetic blocks
- Trigger point injections associated with muscle spasms
- Implantable drug delivery systems to relieve intractable pain
- Augmentative nerve stimulation to interfere with pain impulses
- Behavioral therapies such as exercise, physical therapy and behavioral modification
Our team also consults with other physician specialists as needed to establish effective treatment plans.
In addition to outpatients services, our anesthesiologists also provide inpatient pain relief services for cancer, intensive care and postoperative patients.
Inpatient services include the delivery and maintenance of intravenous, epidural, spinal and oral medications as well as a variety of peripheral nerve blocks. Physicians also explore pain management options with surgical patients in the Preoperative Clinic at University Hospital.
Consultations and appointments
To schedule a consultation with an anesthesiologist at University Physicians Anesthesiology Pain Management Clinic, physician referral is necessary. To make an appointment or for more information, please call (573) 884-9381.
Inpatient consultations at University Hospital, Children's Hospital, the Ellis Fischel Oncology Unit at University Hospital and Columbia Regional Hospital are available 24 hours a day by calling (573) 977-7197, Pager 3999.
Inpatient consultations for chronic pain problems can be obtained from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday by calling (573) 884-9381.
University Physicians Anesthesiology Pain Management Clinic is located at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, One Hospital Drive, Columbia, Missouri 65212