What can I do to improve my chances of my fracture healing?
Remember these facts:
* Risk factors that have been associated with problems with fracture healing include tobacco use, diabetes, vitamin D deficiency, poor nutrition, prolonged use of anti-inflammatories, and infection.
* Discontinue the use of Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin), Naproxen (Aleve), Celebrex, Aspirin, or other non-steroidals.
* Discontinue any tobacco products—cigarettes, chewing tobacco, cigars.
* Eat a healthy and nutritional diet. Consider using nutritional drinks and vitamins to supplement your diet if you have difficulty eating healthy.
* If you have diabetes, be sure to control your blood sugar as previously directed by your physician.
* Keep your incision, external fixator pins, wires, splint, or cast clean and dry.