Child Life Educational Opportunities
The University of Missouri provides a 100-hour practicum experience for MU students majoring in Child Life. Our practicum experience encompasses developmental ages including infant, toddler, school age and adolescent patients. Practicum students are provided with learning opportunities on our Pediatric Unit, Adolescent Unit, Children's Blood and Cancer Unit, Pediatric/Adolescent Specialty Clinic and Pediatric Short Stay.
Goals and expectations of the practicum include:
- Exhibit general playroom management
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding therapeutic play
- Opportunity to enhance rapport building skills
- Asses patient's adjustment to hospitalization/diagnosis
- Asses and engage patients in developmentally appropriate activities
- Demonstrate skills in preparation and medical play
- Opportunity to enhance personal and professional growth within the hospital environment
- Develop and implement health promotion activities
Our Child Life Practicum experience attempts to provide students with a well-rounded experience that will prepare them for both internship and employment.
Child Life Internship
MU Children's Hospital offers a Child Life internship to individuals pursuing a Child Life career.
- Applicant must be under college/university supervision for the duration of the internship, and be at the end of all coursework in Child Life, Child Psychology, Child Development, Education or other child-related field. Priority is given to applicants with previous child life practicum experience.
- Overall GPA must be 3.00 or higher.
- Applicants will be interviewed by the Child Life Team.
- Only ONE applicant will be accepted during summer semester.
- The following information must be send to the Child Life team for application:
a. A letter of intent
b. Two letters of recommendation (One from a person who knows the applicant academically, and one who knows the applicant on a professional basis).
c. A professional quality resume.
d. An official college transcript.
For more information about the practicum and internship opportunities with the Child Life Program at MU Children's Hospital, please contact:
Angie Ball, CCLS - Child Life Coordinator
University of Missouri Children's Hospital
404 N. Keene Street
Columbia, MO 65212
Phone: (573) 219-4264