High Risk Scenarios
There are many different types of clinical events which can evoke a second victim response. Examples of high risk situations that may induce a stress response include the following:
- Patient who 'connects' to health care professional's own family.
- Unanticipated clinical event involving a pediatric patient.
- Unexpected patient death.
- Preventable harm to patient.
- Multiple patients with bad outcomes within a short period of time within one clinical area.
- Long term care relationship with patient death.
- Clinician experiencing his or her first patient death.
- Failure to detect patient deterioration in timely manner.
- Death in a young adult patient.
- Notification of pending litigation plans.
- Community high-profile patient/event.
- Health care professional who experienced needle stick exposure with high-risk patient.
- Death of a staff member or spouse of a staff member.