Sinus and Rhinology
The Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery clinics provides comprehensive diagnoses and treatment of nasal and sinus disorders.
Nasal disorders include:
- Obstructive sleep disorders
- Deviated septum
- Turbinate hypertrophy
- External nasal deformity
- Adenoid hypertrophy
The sinuses are air spaces located around the nose.
These sinuses are divided into four main areas
- Ethmoid sinuses are located between the eyes.
- Maxillary sinuses are located in the cheek area.
- Frontal sinuses are located in the forehead.
- Sphenoid sinuses are located in the center of the head above the back of the nose.
The sinuses connect to the nasal cavity by small drainage pathways. Abnormal structure, acute or chronic infections, or allergies may cause swelling of the nasal lining, which can lead to obstruction of the flow of drainage. This can set the stage for an infection within the sinuses.
Factors that can contribute to sinusitis include:
- Frequent upper respiratory infections
- Gastric Reflux
- Cystic fibrosis
- Immune deficiencies
- Structural defects of the nasal bones
To make an appointment with one of our nasal and sinus providers, please call the ENT and Allergy Center of Missouri at (573) 817-3000 or the University Physicians ENT and Otolaryngology Clinic at (573) 882-7903.