If you need care for a psychological condition, a mental disorder or an addiction disease, our behavioral health team can help.
A behavioral health condition can make you feel helpless and hopeless. At University of Missouri Health Care, we provide compassionate care and support, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. We offer expert behavioral care for children, adolescents and adults.
Our board-certified psychiatrists (medical doctors who specialize in mental health) and psychologists (mental health therapists) are faculty members at the University of Missouri. As educators, our clinicians conduct research and are current on the latest treatments. That means you receive today's most effective therapies — including treatments that aren’t widely available — from behavioral health experts. We draw from the medical and research resources of the MU Health Care system to develop your personalized care plan.
A full spectrum of behavioral health care
We treat all behavioral health illnesses, including substance abuse problems that occur with other psychiatric disorders such as depression or anxiety. Our behavioral health clinicians work with doctors, nurses, social workers, counselors, occupational therapists and other specialists to treat the whole person — physically, emotionally and spiritually.
We offer inpatient and outpatient behavioral health care services, including:
- Leading-edge treatment with psychiatric medicines (psychopharmacology). Our psychiatrists use the latest, most effective medicines — including progressive new therapies available only through clinical trials.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) expertise. This therapy uses electric currents in the brain to help relieve symptoms of severe depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and other conditions that don’t respond to medications or other treatments. As the largest provider of ECT in Missouri, our doctors have advanced experience.
- Behavioral health services for children and adolescents. We offer both inpatient care at Missouri Psychiatric Center and outpatient services at Psychiatry Clinic, as well as community-based programs to ensure children and young adults get the care they need.
- Specialized therapies. Our behavioral health clinicians have extensive experience with various types of psychotherapy, which helps you learn about your thoughts, feelings and behaviors. We provide individual, family and group therapy, personalized to your needs. We offer assessments and work closely with other experts for specialized testing such as sleep disorders studies, neuropsychological assessments (to test cognitive function) and more.
- Outpatient mental health services. At our South Providence Psychiatry clinic, our psychiatrists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and social workers provide a broad range of therapies and services, including counseling, medications and evaluations. As part of the MU Health Care system, our outpatient services connect you with the expertise and resources you can only find at an academic health center.