If you have been diagnosed with a cancer of the digestive system, you want excellent treatment from an experienced cancer care team. The University of Missouri’s Ellis Fischel Cancer Center gastrointestinal cancer program serves as the regional treatment center for the diagnosis and treatment of all cancers of the digestive system.
Our facility has a team of medical, radiation and surgical oncologists with practice specialties in gastrointestinal cancers. Through screening, diagnosis, surgical intervention, staging, treatment and long-term, follow-up care, our interdisciplinary team of physicians and health care providers provide you with an individualized treatment plan and comprehensive care as well as access to the most advanced treatments possible.
Cancers we treat
The providers at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center offer a wide variety of advanced treatment options for:
- Appendiceal (appendix) cancer
- Bile duct cancer
- Colon cancer
- Duodenal and small bowel cancer
- Gallbladder cancer
- Gastric (stomach) cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Liver cancer (primary and metastatic)
- Pancreatic cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Stomach cancer
Treatments we offer
Our gastrointestinal cancer care team offers a variety of treatment options, such as:
- Chemotherapy/biotherapy. Simply put, this is the use of a medication to treat cancer. Chemotherapy or biotherapy medicines can work throughout the body to attack cancerous cells.
- Hepatic arterial infusion pump. In this treatment for liver cancer, a pump is placed inside the body to deliver chemotherapy right to the site of the tumor. This is intended for long-term treatment, and you will need to regularly see your oncologist to have the pump filled with chemotherapy medication.
- Chemoembolization therapy. This is a cancer treatment that delivers high doses of medicine to directly target cancerous tissue.
- Radiation therapy. In this treatment, the oncologist uses radiation to remove, kill or damage cancerous cells in a targeted area of the body.
- Surgery. In some cases, the oncologist can remove cancerous cells using surgical intervention.
Leading-edge research and clinical trials
In addition to highly specialized diagnosis and treatment options, physicians at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center lead clinical trials for various types of cancer, including gastrointestinal and pancreatic.
Related Conditions & Treatments
- Blood Cancers
- Brain Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Gastrointestinal/Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Cancer
- Gynecologic Cancers
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Lung, Esophageal and Chest Cancers
- Orthopaedic Oncology
- Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorder Care
- Skin Cancer and Melanoma
- Urologic Cancer