MU Health Care's Joint Camp is designed to educate and engage patients and their loved ones so that surgery, recovery and rehabilitation are easier to understand, and to work together toward a successful outcome from the operations. Our team and staff help patients recover and get back on their feet.
Joint Camp participants will:
- Learn about joint anatomy, exercises, medications, and pain control. If the patient is interested, we offer classes describing physical therapy, occupational therapy, assistive devices like crutches and walkers, and other matters relating to the surgery.
- Meet other patients undergoing similar surgery.
- Hear from an inpatient registered nurse, physical and occupational therapists and a social worker.
- Tour our state-of-the-art Missouri Orthopaedic Institute.
- Meet nurses and other professionals who specialize in hip and knee surgery.
- Participate in group activities with similar patients.
- Educate the patients' loved ones to be part of their recovery teams.