MU Health Care To Sponsor Free Skin Cancer Screenings, Other Community Health Activities, At Missouri State Fair
COLUMBIA, Mo. — University of Missouri Health Care is sponsoring several community health events at the Missouri State Fair this year, including free skin cancer screenings from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13.
In addition, MU Health Care will co-sponsor a blood drive with the American Red Cross from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9.
“This is our seventh year co-sponsoring the blood drive at the fair,” said David Kubiak, patient care coordinator at University Hospital’s George David Peak Memorial Burn and Wound Care Center, and organizer of MU Health Care’s fair activities. “As an academic medical and referral center, we care for people from every county in the state, so we enjoy coming here each year and meeting people from all across Missouri.”
MU Health Care staff and physicians also will be available during the fair to provide:
• Education about Ellis Fischel Cancer Center and oncology services from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10
• Information about The Staff for Life Helicopter Service for emergency medical transport from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11
• Information about University Hospital’s Frank L. Mitchell Jr., MD, Trauma Center and the treatment of traumatic injuries from 1 to 7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 12
• Healthy eating and dietary information by an MU Health Care dietitian from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15
• Education about stroke and MU Health Care’s Missouri Stroke Program from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16
• Child safety and injury prevention information from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17
All the MU Health Care-sponsored events will take place at MU Health Care’s booth in the Mizzou Central area of the MO-Ag Theatre, located near the fair’s Centennial Entrance.
One of the most comprehensive health care networks in Missouri, MU Health Care includes seven hospitals and numerous clinics, all staffed by University Physicians. As an academic medical center, MU Health Care provides state-of-the-art primary, secondary and tertiary health care services, along with education of future health care providers and medical research to advance the health of people in Missouri and beyond.
For more information about the Missouri State Fair, please visit www.mostatefair.com/home.