26 Ellis Fischel Physicians Certified by MD Anderson Cancer Network®
COLUMBIA, Mo. (Sept. 17, 2015) ― Twenty-six physicians at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center have been certified by MD Anderson Cancer Network®, a program of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, as meeting MD Anderson’s nationally recognized standards in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
The MU physicians were recognized today, Thursday, Sept. 17, during a ceremony led by R. Bowen Loftin, University of Missouri chancellor; Mitch Wasden, chief executive officer and chief operating officer of MU Health Care; and Kevin Staveley-O’Carroll, M.D., Ph.D., chair of the MU School of Medicine Hugh E. Stephenson Jr., M.D., Department of Surgery and director of Ellis Fischel Cancer Center.
“At MU’s academic medical center, we’re working to create a world without cancer,” Loftin said. “Ellis Fischel Cancer Center and MD Anderson share this common goal. We recognize that winning the fight against cancer requires innovation, continuous quality improvement and teamwork. That’s why this collaboration between the experts at Ellis Fischel Cancer Center and the MD Anderson Cancer Network® is so important for our patients.
MD Anderson Cancer Network® was created to advance MD Anderson’s mission to eliminate cancer by collaborating with community hospitals and health systems nationwide on quality improvement and best practices. Since U.S. News and World Report began its annual “Best Hospitals” survey 25 years ago, MD Anderson Cancer Center has been one of the top two hospitals in cancer care.
In March 2014, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center became the first academic certified member of MD Anderson Cancer Network®. To become a certified physician of MD Anderson Cancer Network®, Ellis Fischel physicians underwent a comprehensive review in which educational background and the performance and quality of patient care were evaluated.
“When you see one of our physicians wearing this pin, you can be sure that he or she has met MD Anderson Cancer Network®’s standards for exceptional care,” Wasden said. “By delivering expert cancer care in collaboration with MD Anderson, MU Health Care is carrying out our mission of advancing the health of all Missourians.”
Certified physicians of MD Anderson Cancer Network® have access to a wide range of multidisciplinary care resources, including disease-specific and evidence-based guidelines, treatment plans and best practices developed by MD Anderson experts. Physicians have access to regular peer-reviews on patient cases in which specialists nationwide are able to offer insight and collaborate on treatment protocols for Ellis Fischel patients.
“The University of Missouri is home to a multidisciplinary team dedicated to providing comprehensive cancer care and lifesaving research,” Staveley-O’Carroll said. “We’re proud that MD Anderson has recognized and certified the depth and breadth of our many cancer specialists, the compassionate care they provide to patients, and the success they are having by following the latest care and research protocols to achieve the best possible outcomes.”
In December 2013, Bill Ratliff, a lobbyist for the Missouri Bankers Association, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a rare form of blood cancer. Ratliff has undergone treatments at Ellis Fischel with Donald Doll, M.D., a certified physician of the MD Anderson Cancer Network®. Since undergoing treatments, his blood work has improved from approximately 90 percent cancer to about 11 percent.
“When you get a diagnosis like that, it’s like getting hit out of nowhere with a sledgehammer,” Ratliff said. “But when you have a hematology expert like Dr. Doll on your side, who is so upbeat and positive, you’re able to think positively and realize that you can deal with this.”
The 26 physicians recognized during today’s ceremony include:
- Kara Braudis, M.D., dermatologist
- Normand Caron, M.D., cardiothoracic surgeon
- Kevin Craig, M.D., family and community medicine, geriatric medicine, and hospice and palliative medicine physician
- Donald Doll, M.D., hematologic oncologist
- Kristen Fernandez, M.D., dermatologist
- Nicholas Golda, M.D., dermatologist
- Jonathan Harrison, M.D., hematologic oncologist
- Mosharraf Hossain, M.D., hematologic oncologist
- Mark Hunter, M.D., gynecologic oncologist
- Harold Johnson, M.D., radiation oncologist
- Jeffrey Jorgensen, M.D., head and neck surgical oncologist
- Uzma Khan, M.D., endocrinologist
- C. Daniel Kingsley, M.D., hematologic oncologist
- Debra Koivunen, M.D., surgeon
- N. Scott Litofsky, M.D., neurosurgeon
- Camila Manrique-Acevedo, M.D., endocrinologist
- Puja Nistala, M.D., medical oncologist
- Yuji Oba, M.D., pulmonologist
- Naveen Pokala, M.D., urologic surgeon
- Gregory Renner, M.D., head and neck surgical oncologist
- Ramez Sunna, M.D., pulmonologist
- Erin Tuller, M.D., gynecologic oncologist
- Dana Ward, M.D., dermatologist
- Steven Westgate, M.D., radiation oncologist
- Zihao Wu, M.D., colon and rectal surgeon
- Robert Zitsch III, M.D., head and neck surgical oncologist
Photo: Click here to download a high-resolution photo (above).