Volunteer at University of Missouri Health Care
Giving back to the community through volunteering can bring great joy and self-esteem.
If you have ever thought about volunteering, University of Missouri Health Care is a great place to start. There are many opportunities to choose from. You can volunteer in one of the many areas throughout the hospital -- during the day, in the evening or on the weekends -- whatever is most convenient for your schedule.
You will meet many different people and build valuable skills while gaining hospital experience.
The mission of the Volunteer Services department is to support the services of University of Missouri Health Care by providing assistance with trained volunteers dedicated to enriching the lives of patients, families, visitors, and staff and offering specially designed volunteer programs. The commitment of time and service by volunteers supports the quality of services provided by staff and results in enhanced satisfaction by patients and families. Volunteer services and our volunteers serve as liaisons in the community, advocating for the patients we serve, strengthening our community partnership and educating our future health care professionals.
We rely on volunteers to staff many of our programs and services so please don't just think about volunteering, take the first step and do it. We invite you to become a part of the University of Missouri Health Care volunteer team.
- Adult Volunteers - You may be able to work directly with patients and their families. You will have the opportunity to work independently, with others, with patients or doing clerical tasks.
- Youth Volunteers - If you are between the ages of 15 and 18, we have a Summer Youth Program. Students come from all over the area to volunteer at University of Missouri Health Care in many different departments.
If you volunteer at University of Missouri Health Care you will receive:
These are just a few of the volunteer opportunities available:
- Patient Amabassadors - Escort visitors/patients to departments and nursing stations for testing or admissions.
- Emergency Department - Work as an assistant to the triage nurse or other Emergency Department staff. Greet patients, compile information on patients, assist family members, run errands and assist nursing personnel.
- Gift Shop - Stock shelves, price merchandise, operate cash register and assist customers.
- Surgery Waiting Room Assistants - Assist surgery staff by keeping patients' families informed of patient's status.
- Information Desk - Welcome patients, visitors and family members to the hospital. Answer phones and give directions along with other volunteers. (Computer skills are necessary.)
- Mail Delivery - Pick up, sort and deliver mail to patient rooms.
Join the Service League Auxiliary
The Service League Auxiliary (SLA) is an established, growing, volunteer organization that supports the mission of the hospital. The SLA encourages volunteerism and strives to increase awareness in the community of the growing services and programs of University Hospital and Ellis Fischel Cancer Center.
For more information
For additional information, please contact Kay Steward or Cherrel Rybolt at (573) 882-4714, University of Missouri Health Care, Office of Volunteer Services, One Hospital Drive, DC013.0, Columbia, MO 65212.