To set yourself up for a successful hip surgery, your University of Missouri Health Care hip replacement team recommends you do the following:
- Avoid smoking and excess alcohol use during recovery
- Communicate with us often, especially if you have specific questions
- Exercise muscles before surgery, upper and lower body
- Get recommended medical, dental and other checks to ensure safety
- Inform yourself about outcomes and risks of surgery
- Maintain good hygiene and reasonable body weight
- Participate in scheduling, planning, discharge and related processes
- Select a surgeon in whom you have confidence and trust
- Understand and follow discharge instructions when you leave the hospital
The decision to have elective surgery should be made after careful thought and deliberation.
Learn more about hip replacement surgery at MU Health Care.