Education & Training
Mansoura Medical School Faculty of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Egyptian Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Evaluation of cardiac graft function after re-animation of hearts from human DCD (donation after cardiac death) donors utilizing ex-vivo normothermic perfusion (EVNP)
- Clinical outcomes after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Quality improvement of cardiac surgical critical care
- EXPAND heart trial: To evaluate the effectiveness of the OCS™ Heart to recruit, preserve and assess donor hearts that may not meet current standard donor heart acceptance criteria for transplantation to potentially improve donor heart utilization for transplantation; Co-principal investigator. (2015-2017)
- Perfusix Toronto EVLP trial: This is a safety study to compare the safety of receiving a lung treated with the Toronto EVLP System™ by SPONSOR in SPONSOR's dedicated facility against standard lung transplantation; Co-principal investigator. (2015-2017)
- CTSN Cell Therapy LVAD Trial II: Safety & Efficacy of Intra-myocardial Injection of Mesenchymal Precursor Cells on Myocardial Function in LVAD Recipients, Co-principal Investigator. (2015-2017)
- MOMENTUM 3 Continued Access Protocol: Non-inferiority to the HMII LVAS (HMII) when used for the treatment of advanced, refractory left ventricular heart failure, Co-principal Investigator. (2015-2017)
- Evaluation of cardiac graft function after re-animation of hearts from human DCD (Donation after Cardiac Death) donors utilizing ex-vivo normothermic perfusion (EVNP). Principal Investigator.
- Left ventricular assist device infection treated with pump exchange: timing, technical considerations and outcomes.
Areas of Expertise
- Adult surgery
- Mitral valve repair
- Aortic surgery
- Coronary artery bypass grafting with total arterial revascularization
- Mechanical circulatory support
- Ex-vivo organ perfusion
- Stulak, A. Abou El Ela, F.D.Pagani: How I Teach It: Implantation of a Durable Left Ventricular Assist Device: Accepted for publication in the Annals of Thoracic surgery, on March 12th 2017.
- Hasan, A. Abou el ela, D. Goldstein. Innovations in Cardiac Transplantation, Current Opinion in Cardiology. 32(3):336-342.
- L. Koch, A. Abou el ela, R. Hasan, E. Sarosi, F. Pagani, J. Haft. Clinical Predictors of Pump Thrombosis in Explanted Ventricular Assist Devices presented at the International society of heart and lung transplantation meeting 2016.
- M. Peer, J. W. Haft, A. Abou el ela, R. G. Ohye, F. D. Pagani, M. Si. Ventricular Assist Device Therapy in Patients with Complex Congenital Heart Defects (CHD) A Single Institutional Experience Abstract submitted for publication.
- Abou el ela A., Peer M., Haft J., Pagani F. â€œLeft ventricular Assist Device: “ Related Infection: Long-term Treatment Efficacy with Pump Exchangeâ€ Accepted for presentation at the International society of heart and lung transplantation meeting 2016.
- Shigemura, N., J. Dâ€™Cunha, A. Hackman, Abou el ela A., Shiose A., Bhama J., Gries C. et al. "Lobar Lung Transplantation for High Risk Patients: “Lessons from the Initial Experience." The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 32, no. 4 (2013): S61-S62.
- Itoh, A., A. Keith, S. M. Prasad, A. Abou el ela, S. M. Joseph, G. A. Ewald, S. C. Silvestry, and K. R. Balsara. "Severity of Mitral Valve Regurgitation at the Time of LVAD Implant Does Not Alter Mid-Term Clinical Outcomes."Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 4, 34 (2015): S166.
- BalsaraR., Keith A, Abou el ela A, Joseph S.M., Ewald G.A., Silvestry S.C., Itoh A. Pre-Op Renal Failure Is Not Associated With Increased Mortality Following LVAD Implantation." The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 34.4 (2015): S224.
- Abou el ela A, Balsara R., Lee A., Joseph S.M., Vader J., LaRue S.J., Ewald G.A., Keith A., Silvestry S.C., Itoh A. Drive Line Infections in Left Ventricular Assisted Devices: Review of Management strategies.
- Abou el ela A, Hamza U, Kadry A. Surgical Treatment of Pulmonary Hydatid Cysts, Thesis submitted for fulfillment of M.Sc. degree (Master degree of general surgery), Mansoura University- Egypt.
- Shigemura N, D'Cunha J, Bhama JK, Shiose A, Abou el ela A, Hackmann A, Zaldonis D, Toyoda Y, Pilewski JM, Luketich JD, Bermudez CA. Lobar Lung Transplantation: A Relevant Surgical Option in the Current Era of Lung Allocation Score. The Annals of thoracic surgery 96 (2), 451-456.