As the only academic health center in the region, our advanced medical technology, expert-trained doctors and full range of vision care services make MU Health Care a trusted choice for your eye care.
We offer expertise you can’t find anywhere else in mid-Missouri, including:
- The region’s most experienced care team, with the only fellowship-trained pediatric ophthalmologists (specialists in eye and vision care) and specialists in glaucoma and plastic (oculoplastic) surgery.
- Comprehensive diagnostic services in our technologically advanced visual electrophysiology lab.
- The latest treatments to improve eyesight, including laser cataract surgery, laser eye surgery, and more.
- Cornea transplant surgery to improve eyesight after traumatic injury or disease. We’re among only a few centers in the region that can perform this procedure.
- Complete care for all eye conditions, including specialized eye care services just for kids and convenient, full-service optical shops.
Leading eye care specialists backed by research
When you choose MU Health Care for eye care, you can be confident you’re being treated by leading specialists in ophthalmology. As researchers and educators, our doctors are not only knowledgeable about the latest innovations in eye care, but they also conduct research to prevent, treat and cure eye disease.
That’s important for you because it means you get the most medically advanced care, including today’s most progressive therapies through clinical trials. We’re exploring new treatments for retinal disease, cataracts, glaucoma, cornea disease and more. You’ll find eye services and treatments at MU Health Care before they’re widely available.
Complete eye and vision care services
Your ophthalmologist will design treatment that fits your lifestyle. When we create your care plan, we consider what activities you enjoy, how much time you spend on the computer, or whether you play sports. We work with you to enhance your eyesight and improve your quality of life.
We offer expert care for all eye conditions, including advanced expertise in:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Laser eye surgery
- Low vision
- Macular degeneration
- Pediatric eye and vision
- Eye exams and testing
Our doctors work closely with specialists in other areas to provide you with complete care and support, such as cancer experts for eye cancer, endocrinologists for diabetes-related eye conditions and other specialists as needed.
MU Health Care is the only center in the region with oculoplastic expertise. Oculoplastic surgeons are ophthalmologists who complete additional training to refine their skills in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery. They’re highly experienced performing surgery on the eyelids, tear ducts and delicate skin around your eyes and on your face
Whether you need reconstructive surgery after cancer, a traumatic injury or a facial nerve disorder, it’s comforting to know you’re being treated by experts.
Full-service optical shops
At MU Health Care, we make taking care of your vision and eye health easy. After your doctor’s appointment, you can fill any eyeglass or contact lens prescription conveniently at one of our Mizzou Optical shops.
Our clinics offer:
- Children’s fittings and a wide selection of frames
- Customized lens coatings and tints to minimize glare and light sensitivity
- Eyeglass repair
- Fashion frames for eyeglasses and sunglasses
- Safety glasses fittings
- Same-day service available for select prescriptions
- Specialized designs for thinner lenses