Our speech therapists provide effective patient care in collaboration with referring physicians and other clinical practitioners. Our mission is to help patients achieve their goals and improve their quality of life.
We provide therapy services for the following:
- Swallowing Disorders
Speech therapists, also known as speech language pathologists, are experts in helping patients regain speech, language and swallowing skills.
As part of University Hospital, we have speech therapists who specialize in providing care for various medical services, including trauma, orthopaedics, cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, neurology, neurosurgery, family medicine, general medicine, oncology and burn and wound care.
In addition to working with patients at the bedside, our speech therapists may also conduct diagnostic testing of swallowing abilities.
For more information about inpatient speech therapy, please contact:
Mizzou Therapy Services
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Speech-language pathologists specialize in the treatment of speech and language, cognition related to language, voice, social interaction, fluency (stuttering) and swallowing disorders. Therapists help patients regain function for success at home, school or work, and improve their overall quality of life.
At Mizzou Therapy Services -Business Loop, many of our patients have deficits that are directly caused by disorders such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, head and neck cancer, and Parkinson’s Disease, but we also treat more isolated problems. We treat patients with the following difficulties:
- Speech and language: slurred or abnormal sounding speech, word-finding difficulties, difficulties with reading and writing and difficulties producing sentences or conversation.
- Cognitive-linguistic skills: attention, memory, thinking, reasoning, safety awareness, decision making, planning and organizing.
- Voice: changes in voice quality, loudness, pitch range, overuse and strain, difficulty with coordinating breathing and speaking.
- Social interaction: difficulty recognizing appropriate behaviors or comments, difficulty interpreting or controlling emotions, difficulty interpreting body language and interactions.
- Fluency: stuttering, difficulty producing normal speech rate and rhythms.
- Swallowing: coughing and choking during meals, difficulty chewing or moving food in the mouth, facial droop, swelling or numbness and sensation of food sticking in the throat.
We have therapists who are certified in the following advanced treatments:
- VitalStim swallowing treatment using electrical stimulation: electrodes are placed on the area of muscle weakness which helps the muscle and nerve work together better for improved function.
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment LOUD: Voice treatment specialized for Parkinson’s Disease.
- Myofascial release: stretching method for improving muscle elasticity, strength, and range of motion for improved swallowing, voice, and speech production.
To schedule an appointment, please contact:
Mizzou Therapy Services-Business Loop
315 Business Loop 70 W.
Columbia, MO 65203
(The Business Loop clinic is located within Rusk Rehabilitation Center.)