Education & Training
University of California San Francisco, Med Sch
- University of Missouri Health Care
- University of Michigan Medical School
Post Graduate School
Master of Science in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
One Hospital Drive
MA306 Medical Sciences Building, DC032.00
Columbia, MO 65212
David R. Mehr, MD, MS, is a family physician, geriatrician and health services researcher. He has an extensive history of funded research with a focus on improving care of older adults. He has received four major federal grants, several foundation grants and has been a co-investigator on numerous other projects.
Dr. Mehr’s major studies have included projects on outcomes of lower respiratory infections in nursing home residents, pneumonia as a terminal event in dementia (in collaboration with Dutch researchers), and using health information technology innovations at MU to improve ambulatory chronic illness care. He was awarded a $4.5 million R24 grant from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) in September 2013 to develop infrastructure to support patient-centered outcomes research.
Dr. Mehr has more than 100 publications, serves as a standing member on AHRQ and National Institutes of Health study sections, and has been a reviewer for the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI).
- Improving ambulatory chronic illness care
- Improving primary care involvement in end-of-life care
- Care of patients with dementia and their caregivers at the end of life
- Infections in nursing home residents
- Outcomes research
Areas of Expertise
- Quality improvement
- Infections in Nursing Home Residents
- Using Health Information Technology to Improve Care
- Improving Chronic Disease Care
- End‐of‐Life Care
- Clinical Prediction Rules
- Dementia Care
- Predicting Mortality in Nursing Home Residents with Dementia and Pneumonia Treated with Antibiotics: Validation of a Prediction Model in a More Recent Population.
The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 2019;74(12):1922-1928.
Rauh SP, Heymans MW, van der Maaden T, Mehr DR, Kruse RL, de Vet HCW, van der Steen JT.
- Caregivers’ Experiences Regarding Training and Support in the Post-Acute Home Health-Care Setting.
Journal of Patient Experience. 2019; DOI: 10.1177/2374373519869156.
Chase J-AD, Russell D, Rice M, Abbott C, Bowles KH, Mehr DR.
- Reengineering skilled nursing facility discharge: Analysis of reengineered discharge implementation.
J Nurs Care Qual. 2019; DOI: 10.1097/ncq.0000000000000413.
Popejoy LL, Wakefield BJ, Vogelsmeier AA, Galambos CM, Lewis AM, Huneke D, Petroski G, Mehr DR.
- Lay advisor interventions in rural populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2019;57(1):117-126.
Patil SJ, Lewis M, Tallon EM, Wareg NK, Murray KS, Elliott SG, Stevermer JJ, Kruse RL, Mehr DR.
- Caregivers’ perceptions managing functional needs among older adults receiving post-acute home health care.
Research in Gerontological Nursing. 2019;12(4):174-183.
Chase JAD, Russell D, Rice M, Abbott C, Bowles KH, Mehr DR.
- Stakeholder perspectives on the biopsychosocial and spiritual realities of living with ALS: implications for palliative care teams.
American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2019; DOI: 0.1177/1049909119834493.
Kukulka K, Washington KT, Govindarajan R, Mehr DR.
- Adapting project RED to skilled nursing facilities.
Clinical Nursing Research. 2018; DOI: 10.1177/1054773818819261.
Popejoy LL, Vogelsmeier AA, Wakefield BJ, Galambos CM, Lewis AM, Huneke D, Mehr DR.
- Effect of peer support interventions on cardiovascular disease risk factors in adults with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
BMC Public Health. 2018;18(1):398.
Patil SJ, Ruppar T, Koopman RJ, Lindbloom EJ, Elliott SG, Mehr DR, Conn VS.
- Exploring lived experiences of chronic pain through photo-elicitation and social networking.
Pain Medicine. 2018;DOI: 10.1093/pm/pny175.
Rolbiecki AJ, Teti M, Crenshaw B, LeMaster JW, Ordway J, Mehr DR.
- Hip fractures in patients with advanced dementia: What treatment provides the best palliation?
JAMA Internal Medicine. 2018;178(6):780-781.
Mehr DR, Tatum PE, III, Crist BD.
- Improvement science takes advantage of methods beyond the randomized controlled trial.
Pediatric Quality & Safety. 2018;3(3):e082.
Bartman T, DeWalt DA, Johnson DP, Mehr DR, Payne AS, Provost LP.
- A qualitative exploration of resilience among patients living with chronic pain.
Rolbiecki A, Subramanian R, Crenshaw B, Albright DL, Perreault M, Mehr DR.
- Medication adherence interventions among hypertensive black adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Journal of Hypertension. 2017;35(6):1145-1154.
Ruppar TM, Dunbar-Jacob JM, Mehr DR, Lewis L, Conn VS.