Education & Training
Al-Arab Medical University
- University of New Mexico
- University of Florida College of Medicine-GME
Internal Medicine, Hepatology
- Mayo Foundation Rochester
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Biliary Disease
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Liver Cancer
- Liver Disease
- Pancreatic Diseases
Areas of Expertise
- Liver Disease and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma
- Advanced therapeutic and innovative endoscopy
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) of early esophageal and colorectal tumors
- Endoscopic overstitch
- Celiac Plexus block
- Biliary, pancreatic disease, and endoscopic management
- Pancreatic mucinous cysts ablations
- Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- EUS-guided biliary drainage
- Bariatric endoscopy
- Endoscopic management of post bariatric complications
Awards & Honors
- 05/2020 ASGE Committee Service – DDW Hands-On/Simulation-Based Education Committee
- 05/2019 Most Outstanding Pre-Clinical Educator Award, Medical Student Affairs Council
Current Professional Societies
- 2002 – current American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
- 2007 – current American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- 2015 – current American Gastroenterology Association (AGA)
- 2015 – current American College of Gastroenterology (ACG)
- Moore MP, Cunningham RP, Meers GM, Johnson SA, Wheeler AA, Ganga RR, Spencer NM, Pitt JB, Diaz-Arias A, Swi AIA, Hammoud GM, Ibdah JA, Parks EJ, Scott Rector R. Compromised hepatic mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation and reduced markers of mitochondrial turnover in human NAFLD. Hepatology. 2022 Jan 9. doi: 10.1002/hep.32324. Online ahead of print
- Takamaru H, Saito Y, Hammoud GM, Mizuguchi Y, Cho H, Sekiguchi M, Yamada M, Sakamoto T, Matsuda T. Comparison of postpolypectomy bleeding events between cold snare polypectomy and hot snare polypectomy for small colorectal lesions: a large-scale propensity score-matched analysis.. Gastrointest Endosc. 2021 Dec 28:S0016-5107(21)01931-3. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2021.12.017. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34971668
- Ali AH, Petroski GF, Diaz-Arias AA, Al Juboori A, Wheeler AA, Ganga RR, Pitt JB, Spencer NM, Hammoud GM, Rector RS, Parks EJ, Ibdah JA. J Clin Med. 2021 Jul 27;10(15):3311. doi: 10.3390/jcm10153311. PMID: 34362095
- Mankoo R, Ali AH, Hammoud GM. Use of artificial intelligence in endoscopic ultrasound evaluation of pancreatic pathologies. Artificial Intelligence in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Volume 2 Number 3 June 28, 2021.
- Akin H, Kurt R, Tufan F, Swi A, Ozaras R, Tahan V, Hammoud G. Newly Reported Studies on the Increase in Gastrointestinal Symptom Prevalence withCOVID-19 Infection: A Comprehensive Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Diseases. 2020 Nov 10;8(4):41. doi: 10.3390/diseases8040041. PMID: 33182651
- Majid M. Syed-Abdul , Elizabeth J. Parks , Ayman H. Gaballah, Kimberlee Bingham, Ghassan M. Hammoud, George Kemble, Douglas Buckley, William McCulloch, and Camila Manrique-Acevedo. Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibitor TVB-2640 Reduces Hepatic de Novo Lipogenesis in Males With Metabolic Abnormalities. Hepatology. 2020 Jul;72(1):103-118. doi: 10.1002/hep.31000. Epub 2020 May 7. PMID: 31630414
- Pasha SB, Swi A, Hammoud GM. Gastrointestinal and hepatic manifestations of COVID-19 infection: Lessons for practitioners. World J Meta-Anal 2020; 8(5): 348-374.
- Naren Nallapeta, Deepthi Rao, Ahmad H. Ali, Neal Sharma, Jamal A. Ibdah, Ghassan M. Hammoud. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Liver Biopsy; the Pathologist’s Perspective. J Exp Pathol. 2020; (1): 1-10.
- Neal Sharma, Ahmad Ali, Ghassan M. Hammoud. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Liver Biopsy, Is It Ready for Prime Time? Arch Gastroenterol Res. 2020; (1): 47-51. https://doi.org/10.33696/Gastroenterology.1.010]
- Ali AH, Panchal S, Rao DS, Gan Y, Al-Juboori A, Samiullah S, Ibdah JA, Hammoud GM. The efficacy and safety of endoscopic ultrasound-guided liver biopsy versus percutaneous liver biopsy in patients with chronic liver disease: a retrospective single-center study. J Ultrasound. 2020 Jun;23(2):157-167. doi:10.1007/s40477-020-00436-z. Epub 2020 Mar 5. PMID: 32141043.
- Khare T, Khare S, Angdisen JJ, Zhang Q, Stuckel A, Mooney BP, Ridenhour SE, Gitan RS, Hammoud GM, Ibdah JA. Defects in long-chain 3-hydroxy acyl-CoA dehydrogenase lead to hepatocellular carcinoma: A novel etiology of hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2020 Sep 1;147(5):1461-1473. doi: 10.1002/ijc.32943. Epub 2020 Mar 16. PMID: 32115688.
- Gan Y, Hammoud G, Esebua M. A rare case of plexiform fibromyxoma in stomach: FNA diagnosis with histological correlation and differential diagnoses. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2020 Feb;44:151453. doi: 10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2019.151453. Epub 2019 Dec 14. PMID: 31864161
- Syed-Abdul MM, Parks EJ, Gaballah AH, Bingham K, Hammoud GM, Kemble G, Buckley D, McCulloch W, Manrique CM: First-in-class fatty acid synthase inhibitor TVB-82640 reduces hepatic de novo lipogenesis in males with metabolic abnormalities. [PMID: 31630414]. Hepatology, doi: 10.1002/hep.31000, 2019
- Esebua M, Binz K, Hammoud GM. Mycobacterium Avium-Intracellulare Granulomatous Pancreatitis in HIV-Infected Patient: A Rare Case Report of EUS FNA. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 May 8. pii: S1542-3565(19)30505-1. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2019.04.073.
- Ali, Ahmad, Al-Juboori, A, Rao, D, Ibdah, J, Deepa, N, Gaballah, A, Hammoud, G. Clinical Features and Outcomes of Patients with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis at the University of Missouri-Columbia-A retrospective Study. World Journal of Hepatology. Submitted 2019
Abstracts and Presentations
- Ali AH, Panchal S, Chen D, Gan Y, Deepthi RA, Al-Juboori A, Samiullah S, Mahdi A, Tahan V, Ibdah JA, Hammoud GH.
The efficacy and safety of endoscopic ultrasound-guide liver biopsy versus percutaneous liver biopsy in patients with chronic liver disease, a retrospective single center study.
Publication # 0644. Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) 2020 at at McCormick Place Chicago, IL May 2-5, 2020. Accepted as Poster but the conference cancelled due to COVID-19.
- Hiroyuki Takamaru, Yutaka Saito, Kazumasa Kawashima, Hourin Cho, Ghassan M. Hammoud, Masau Sekiguchi, Masayoshi Yamada, Taku Sakamoto, and Takahisa Matsuda.
COLD SNARE POLYPECTOMY OF COLORECTAL LESIONS LESS THAN 10 MM IS SAFE IN PATIENTS ON ANTICOAGULATION THERAPY: A LARGE SCALE ANALYSIS USING THE JAPAN ENDOSCOPY DATABASE.
Lecture Presentation, session, May 3, 2020 from 8:05 AM to 9:35 AM.
- Ahmad Ali, MBBS, Francis Dailey, MD, Ghassan M. Hammoud, MD, Alhareth Al-Juboori, MD, Deepthi S. Rao, MD, Veysel Tahan, MD, FACG, Togla Tuncer, MD
Idiopathic Eosinophilic Syndrome With Hepatic Involvement.
P2575. American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) 2019 at Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas, October 25- 30, 2019.
- Yousef MH, Albarrak AA, Tahan V, Romana BS, Yousef Mousa, Esebua M, Samiullah S, Ibdah JA, Hammoud GM.
Utility of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration in the evaluation of periportal lymphadenopathy in patients with chronic liver disease.
Abstract # 3154054. Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) 2019 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA, May 18-21, 2019 (accepted)
- Dailey FE, Turse EP, Hammoud GM, Tahan V.
The clinical utility of endoscopic ultrasound for rectal and perirectal lesions: a large center experience.
Abstract # 3137271. Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) 2019 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA, May 18-21, 2019 (accepted)
- Romana BS, Yousef MH, Jasmine Hundal, Boumitri C, Tahan V, Samiullah S, Hammoud GM.
The outcome of endoscopic mucosal resection of cecal polyps involving the appendiceal orifice.
Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) 2019 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA, May 18-21, 2019 (accepted)