Education & Training
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Los Angeles
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
205 Portland Street
Columbia, MO 65201
Dr. Mussey is licensed clinical psychologist with expertise in assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), and other neurodevelopmental disabilities. She is an independent trainer on diagnostic measures for ASD, such as the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, 2nd Edition (ADOS-2).
Her research and clinical pursuits have focused on ASD symptom manifestations in individuals across the lifespan and at different levels of ability, differentiating between ASD and other neurodevelopmental disabilities across the lifespan, diagnosis and treatment of co-occurring conditions such as anxiety, implementing evidence-based psychological, developmental, behavioral, and skills interventions, and examining professional development needs and programming to address the needs and increase the quality of life of individuals with ASD/IDD across the lifespan. Her research interests include behavioral phenotyping of ASD across the lifespan, evaluating best practices in assessment and treatment of ASD/IDD, and investigating moderators (such as age, sex/gender, IQ, language) of ASD symptom manifestation.
- Behavioral phenotyping and clinical characteristics of ASD across the lifespan
- Best practices in assessment and treatment of ASD/IDD
- Moderators (such as age, sex/gender, IQ, language) of ASD symptom manifestation
Areas of Expertise
- Assessment and differential diagnosis of ASD and other neurodevelopmental differences across the lifespan
- Evidence based assessment of and interventions for ASD/IDD
- Sex/gender differences in the clinical presentation of ASD symptomatology
- Assessment and treatment of co-occurring conditions and mental health needs in ASD/IDD, such as anxiety
Awards & Honors
- American Psychological Association (APA) Early Career Achievement Award (2020)
- APA Committee on Early Career Psychologists Outstanding Poster Award (2018)
- National Register Early Career Psychologist Credentialing Scholarship (2014)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- International Society for Autism Research (INSAR)
- American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD)
- North Carolina Psychological Association (NCPA)
- Missouri Psychological Association (MOPA)
- Mussey, J.L., & Klinger, L.G., (2020).
Imitation in ASD: Performance on an imitation choice task.
Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2020.101530
- Mussey, J.L., Ginn, N.C., & Klinger, L.G. (2017).
Short Report: Are males and females with ASD more similar than we thought?
Autism, 21, 733-737. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361316682621
Books and chapters
- Klinger, L. G, Mussey, J. L., & O’Kelley, S. E. (2018).
Assessment of Intellectual Functioning in Autism Spectrum Disorders. In S. Goldstein, J. Naglieri, & S. Ozonoff (Eds.)
Assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorders, 2nd Edition. Guilford.
- Mussey, J.L. (2018).
In E. Braaten (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders (pp. 1328-1332). SAGE Publications, Inc. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781483392271.n410
- Mussey, J.L. (2018).
Wechsler adult intelligence scale.
In E. Braaten (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders (pp. 1715-1718). SAGE Publications, Inc. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781483392271.n535
- Mussey, J.L., & Miller, K.M. (2018).
Media portrayals of individuals with developmental disabilities.
In E. Braaten (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders (pp. 994-996). SAGE Publications, Inc. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781483392271.n310
- Mussey, J.L. (2018).
Media portrayals of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
In E. Braaten (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders (pp. 997-999). SAGE Publications, Inc. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781483392271.n311
Digital and other novel forms of scholarship
- Mussey, J., Dawkins, T., & AFIRM Team. (2017).
Cognitive behavioral intervention.
Chapel Hill, NC: National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorder, FPG Child Development Center, University of North Carolina. Retrieved from http://afirm.fpg.unc.edu/cognitive-behavioral-intervention
Invited non-refereed publications
- Azad, G., Mussey, J., Rodriguez, G., & Zeedyk, S. (2020, Summer)
An ECP Guide to Navigating Your First Pandemic: Survival First, Then Tenure?
Article in Summer 2020 APA Division 33 Newsletter.
- Azad, G., Mussey, J., Rodriguez, G., & Zeedyk, S. (2019, Winter)
Destigmatizing Academic Experiences of Tenure-Track Faculty in the Field of IDD/ASD: Lessons Learned from Junior Faculty.
Article in Winter 2019 APA Division 33 Newsletter.