Education & Training
University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Virginia
- University Of Illinois College Of Medicine At Urbana
- Florida Hospital - Orlando
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Neurocognitive disorders / dementia
- Cognitive/behavioral neurology
- Cognitive/biological psychology
- Higher education
- Advocacy / public speaking on neurocognitive disorders / dementia
Areas of Expertise
- Cognitive psychology
- Behavioral neurology
- Cognitive brain disorders
- Public speaking
Awards & Honors
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2017, Jane Hickman Teaching Award, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri
- 2017, Outstanding Clinical Faculty Educator, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri
- 2016, Alpha Omega Alpha, Faculty Honoree, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri
- 2015, Excellence in Education – Clinical Faculty, Medical Student Affairs Council, Univ. Missouri
- 2014, Outstanding Pre-Clinical Faculty Educator, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri
- 2012, Outstanding Teacher, Neurology Residency, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri
- Alzheimer Research Update: Invited keynote, Alzheimer Association Annual Donor Reception, Columbia, MO (March, 2018)
- The Broken Present: Understanding how people experience, and respond to, memory loss and dementia. Invited address. Provision Health Residential Care Facility, Columbia, MO (January, 2018)
- Dementia Diagnosis and Treatment. Invited address. University of Missouri, Annual Neurosciences CME Update (September 2017).
- Dementia, lecture series for Osher Institute, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (March-April 2017)
- Broken Social Brains. Invited keynote. Southwest Psychology Association, San Antonio, TX (April 2017).
- Current Research in Alzheimer Disease. Invited address at Alzheimer’s Hope Forum invited by US Congressional Representative Vicky Hartzler, Sedalia, MO (November, 2016).
- The Spectrum of Parkinsonism. Invited address. Parkinson Disease Support Group, Columbia, MO (August, 2016)
- Eight Big Things to Do About Dementia. Invited address. Provision Health Residential Care Facility, Columbia, MO (August, 2016)
- Past, Current, and Future Treatment of Alzheimer Disease. Invited plenary. 26th Annual Caring for the Frail and Elderly Conference, Family Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (August, 2016)
- Parkinsonism. Invited address. Parkinson Disease Support Group, Columbia, MO (December, 2015)
- Sight vs. Vision. Invited grand rounds, Family Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (October, 2015)
- The Eight Big Things to Do About Dementia. Invited address. 25th Annual Caring for the Frail and Elderly Conference, Family Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (August, 2015)
- Communicating the Alzheimer Disease Diagnosis, Invited grand rounds, Family Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (July, 2015)
- Stroke Ethics. Invited address. Annual Stroke Review and Update. Boone Hospital Center, Columbia MO (February, 2015).
- What’s New in the Diagnosis & Treatment of Alzheimer Disease? Invited address. 25th Annual Gerontology Clinical Update, Sinclair School of Nursing, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (December, 2014).
- Parkinsonian Memory Loss. Invited address. Parkinson Disease Support Group, Columbia, MO (December, 2014)
- Memory Loss. Invited address. Alzheimer Association, Mid-Missouri Chapter (July, 2014)
- Double Dissociation of Sight vs. Vision in Healthy and Diseased Brains. Neurology grand rounds, School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (May, 2014)
- Brain-Mind-Behavior in 21st Century: A Neurologist’s View on Why We Need Psychology, Invited address, National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Petersburg Beach, FL (January, 2014)
- Cognitive Behavioral Neurology and Traumatic Brain Injury, Invited talk, Brain Injury Support Group, Columbia MO (November, 2013)
- The Woman Who Thought My Nose Was a Hand, and Other Cognitive Neurology Syndromes You'll Actually See ... If You Look, Invited grand rounds, Internal Medicine, Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati, OH (October, 2013)
- Memory Loss. Invited address. Alzheimer Association, Mid-Missouri Chapter (April, 2013)
- The Clinical Construct of Alzheimer Disease. Invited Address. Seminars in Translational Neuroscience, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (February, 2013)
- Memory Loss. Invited address. Alzheimer Association, Mid-Missouri Chapter (June, 2012)
- The Differential Diagnosis of Dementia. Invited address, Primary Care Conference, Audrain Medical Center, Mexico, MO (December, 2012)
- Cognitive Deficits in Parkinson Disease. Invited address, Parkinson Disease Association, Columbia, MO (August, 2012)
- Differentiating Dementias. Invited address. 22nd Annual Caring for the Frail and Elderly Conference, Family Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (August, 2012)
- The Depressed Lady Who Wasn’t: A Behavioral Neurology Live Case Presentation. Neurology grand rounds. School of Medicine, Univ. Missouri, Columbia, MO (July, 2012)
- Famous Frequent Frightening Phenotypical Faces of Fickle FTD. Invited address. Boone County Medical Society, Columbia, MO (March, 2012)
- Delivering Bad News. Invited address, Palliative Care Conference, Boone Hospital Center, Columbia, MO (November, 2011)
- Shenker, J.I. and Singh, G. (2017). Sleep and dementia. Missouri Medicine, 114(4), 299-303.
- Roberts, M.H. & Shenker, J.I. (2016). Non-optic vision: Beyond synesthesia. Brain & Cognition, 107, 24-29. doi: 10.1016/j.bandc.2016.05.007
- Shenker, J.I. & Roberts, M.H. (2016). Simultanagnosia: When all you can see are trees, the forest still rules. Neurocase, 22(3), 289-293. doi 10.1080/13554794.2015.1137949
- Ghacibeh, G., Shenker, J.I., Winter, K.H., Triggs, W. J., & Heilman, K.M. (2007). Dissociation of neglect subtypes with transcranial magnetic stimulation. Neurology, 69(11), 1122-1127. doi: 10.1212/01.wnl.0000276950.77470.50
- Ghacibeh, G.A., Shenker, J.I., Shenal, B., Uthman, B.M., & Heilman, K.M. (2006). The influence of vagus nerve stimulation on memory. Cognitive & Behavioral Neurology, 19(3), 119-122. doi: 10.1097/01.wnn.0000213908.34278.7d
- Ghacibeh, G.A., Shenker, J.I., Shenal, B., Uthman, B. & Heilman, K.M. (2006). Effect of vagus nerve stimulation on creativity and cognitive flexibility. Epilepsy & Behavior, 8(4), 720-725. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2006.03.008
- Shenker, J.I. (2005, Epub). Teaching biology in a psychology class: How to use Case Stories and Other Methods to Delight Yourself and Your Students. American Psychological Society Teaching Tips (http://www.psychologicalscience.org/teaching/tips)
- Shenker, J.I., Wylie, S.A., Fuchs, K., Manning, C.A., & Heilman, K.M. (2004). Online anosognosia: Unawareness for chorea in real time but not on videotape delay. Neurology, 63 (1), 159-160.
- Banich, M.T., Milham, M.P., Atchley, R., Cohen, N.J., Webb, A., Wszalek, T., Kramer, A.F., Liang, Z.-P., Wright, A., Shenker, J., & Magin, R. (2000). fMRI studies of Stroop tasks reveal unique roles of anterior and posterior brain systems in attentional selection. J. Cog. Neurosci., 12 (6), 988-1000.
- Gabriel, M., Cuppernell, C., Shenker, J.I., Kubota, Y., Henzi, V., & Swanson, D. (1995). Mammillothalamic tract transection blocks anterior thalamic training-induced neuronal plasticity and impairs discriminative avoidance behavior in rabbits. J. Neurosci., 15(2), 1437-1445.
- Banich, M.T. & Shenker, J.I. (1994b). Dissociations in memory for item identity and item frequency: Evidence from hemispheric processing. Neuropsychologia, 32(10), 1179-1194.
- Banich, M.T. & Shenker, J.I. (1994a). Investigations of interhemispheric processing: Methodological considerations. Neuropsychology, 8(2), 263-277.
- Fridlund, A.J., Sabini, J.P., Hedlund, L.E., Schaut, J.A., Shenker, J.I., & Knauer, M.J. (1990). Audience effects on solitary faces during imagery: Displaying to the people in your head. J. Nonverbal Behavior, 14, 113-137.
- Rozin, P. & Shenker, J. (1989). Liking oral cold and hot irritant sensations: Specificity to type of irritant and locus of stimulation. Chemical Senses, 14(6), 771-779.
- Lawless, H., Rozin, P. & Shenker, J. (1985). Effects of oral capsaicin on gustatory, olfactory and irritant sensations and flavor identification in humans who regularly or rarely consume chili pepper. Chemical Senses, 10(4), 579-589.