Education & Training
- Tulsa Psychiatric Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Dr. Beck has an ongoing research program pertaining to violent behavior on the part of institutionalized psychiatric patients that has been funded by the Missouri Department of Mental Health/State Hospital at Fulton for over 20 years.
Areas of Expertise
- Violent behavior
- Risk prediction and management
- Beck, NC, Tubbesing, T, Lewey, JH, Ji, P, Menditto, AA, Robbins, SB Contagion of Violence and Self-Harm Behaviors on a Psychiatric Ward Journal of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology, in press
- Beck, N. C., Hammer, J. H., Robbins, S., Tubbesing, T., Menditto, A. A., & Pardee, A. (2017). Highly Aggressive Women in a Forensic Psychiatric Hospital. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.
- Hammer, J. H., Springer, J., Beck, N., Menditto, A., & Coleman, J. (2010). Seclusion and restraint: Relationship with childhood sexual and physical abuse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol. 26, No. 3, 567-579.
- Newbill, W. A., Coleman, J. C., Carson, S. J., Marth, D., Menditto, A. A., Beck, N. C. (2010). Direct Observational Coding of Staff Who Are the Victims of Assault. Psychological Services, Vol. 7, No. 3, 177-189.
- Lyskowski, J.L., Menditto, A.A., & Csernansky, J.G. (2009). Treatment of violent behavior in patients with combined psychiatric illness and cognitive impairment: a case series. Mental Health Aspects of Developmental Disabilities, 12, 1-9.
- Beck, N.C., Durrett, C., Stinson, J., Coleman, J., Stuve, P., & Menditto, A.A. (2008). Trajectories of Seclusion and Restraint Use at a State Psychiatric Hospital. Psychiatric Services, 59, 1027-1032.
- Menditto, A. A., Beck, N. C., & Stuve, P. R. (2000). A social-learning approach to reducing aggressive behavior among chronically hospitalized psychiatric patients. In M. Crowner and L. Burney (Eds.), Understanding and Treating Violent Psychiatric Patients (pp 87-104). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc.
- Beck, N. C., Greenfield, S. R., Gotham, H., Menditto, A. A., Stuve, P., & Hemme, C. A. (1997). Risperidone in the management of violent, treatment-resistant schizophrenics hospitalized in a maximum security forensic facility. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 25, 461-468.
- Menditto, A. A., Beck, N. C., Stuve, P. R., Fisher, J., Stacy, M., Logue, M. B., & Baldwin, L. J. (1996). Effectiveness of clozapine and a social learning program for severely disabled psychiatric inpatients. Psychiatric Services, 47, 46-51.
- Beck, N. C., Menditto, A. A., Baldwin, L. J., Angelone, E., Maddox, M. (1991). Reduced frequency of aggressive behavior in forensic patients in a social-learning program. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 42, 750-752.