Education & Training
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
- Christian Medical College
- University of Missouri School of Medicine GME
- Duke University Medical Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
University of Missouri neurologist Dr. Pradeep Sahota is advancing sleep research.
Sahota has more than 25 years of experience in academic neurology, as well as sleep medicine: the diagnosis and treatment of sleep-related conditions. Through his research and publications, he works to bring greater awareness to the treatment of sleep disorders, as well as treatments of neurological, medical and psychiatric disorders that can affect sleep quality.
For a number of years, Sahota has collaborated with fellow neuroscientist Dr. Mahesh Thakkar to examine the role of sleep in addiction, including alcohol addiction. The researchers discovered that alcohol interferes with homoeostasis, the sleep regulatory system, which causes insomnia and sleep disruptions. Their work suggests that such using alcohol as a sleep aid can cause long-term sleep problems — important information for the 20 percent of adult Americans who use alcohol to fall asleep.
Sahota, who has won several awards for excellence in teaching, is recognized as a leader by his peers. He has served on numerous committees for the American Academy of Neurology and other prominent organizations, and he has chaired the Sleep Research Group of the World Federation of Neurology.
Dr. Pradeep Sahota is a professor of neurology in the School of Medicine. He serves as director of MU’s Sleep Disorders Center and Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program.
- Clinical researchs that focuses on sleep disorders, specifically narcolepsy with or without cataplexy, hypersomnolence, restless leg syndrome and disorders of rircadian rhythm
- Basic science mouse model analyzing the effect of alcohol on sleep, sleep and memory and/or sleep and traumatic memories
Areas of Expertise
- Sleep and sleep disorders
- Sleep apnea
- Restless leg syndrome
- Periodic Limb movements in sleep, parasomnias