Education & Training
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Surgery (General Surgery)
- Maine Medical Center
Surgical Critical Care
- University Of California, Davis
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Medical informatics, artificial intelligence, data analytics
- Cardiac resuscitation and monitoring
Areas of Expertise
- Elective and emergency general surgery
- Burns and wounds
- Surgical critical care
Awards & Honors
- Central Surgical Association Member 2016
- Academic Surgical Association Member 2016
- National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) Surgeon Champion 2014-2016
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) Member 2005
- Chair Membership Committee of Surgical Section 2015-Present
- Co-Chair Membership Committee of Surgical Section 2014-2015
- Coordinator Annual Top Gun Competition for Surgical Section 2014-2016
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) Fellow 2010
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST) Member 2005
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) – Inaugurated as attending at the University of Missouri School of Medicine by medical students. Columbia, MO 2015.
- LEAN Rapid Improvement Experiment – Sterile Processing Department Prep & Pack Value System – Winner Baystate Medical Center President’s Quality Award 2011
- 12th Annual Tufts/NEMC Surgical Resident/Fellow Research Presentation Day – May 27, 2005. Honorable Mention Clinical Science Presentation - “Noninvasive Cerebral Oximetry in the Assessment of Patients with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury”.
- 11th Annual Tufts/NEMC Surgical Resident/Fellow Research Presentation Day – May 21, 2004. First Place for Outstanding Clinical Science Presentation - “Use of the Esophageal Doppler and Sublingual Capnometer in the Hemodynamic Assessment of Mechanically Ventilated Surgical Patients."
- Annual Maine Medical Center Research Forum – April 24th, 2004. Surgical representative presentation at plenary session with same study as above.
- Lockheed-Martin Senior Spacecraft Design Competition – First-Place Team. Purdue University, 1995.
- American institution of Aeronautics and Astronautics – Third-Place at 1994 Regional Student Paper Conference on Mach 4 wind tunnel test of hypersonic scramjet engine inlet model.
- Sigma Gamma Tau – National Aerospace Engineering Honorary Society induction as sophomore in 1991.
- Tau Beta Pi – National Engineering Honor Society induction as junior in 1993.
- Bartels A, Johnson C, Lewis J, Clevenger JW, Barnes S, Hammer R, Ahmad S. Platelet adenosine diphosphate inhibition in trauma patients by thromboelastography correlates with paradoxical increase in platelet dense granule content by flow cytometry. Surgery 2016. 160(4):954-959. PMID:
- Bartels A, Sarpong Y, Coberly J, Hughes N, Litt J, Quick J, Kessel J, Nelson C, Coughenour J, Barnes S, Litofsky NS, Hammer R, Ahmad S. Failure of the Platelet Function Assay (PFA-100) to Detect Anti-Platelet Agents. Surgery 2015. 158(4):1012-1019. PMID:
- Vassell, O. Apperson, P. Calyam, J. Gillis, S. Ahmad. Intelligent Dashboard for Augmented Reality based Incident Command Response Co-ordination. IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2016. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7444921/?arnumber=7444921
- Gillis J, Prasad C, Bartels A, Popescu M, Barnes S, Doty J, Higbee D, Ahmad S. Panacea’s Glass: Mobile Cloud Framework for Communication in Mass Casualty Disaster Triage. IEEE Mobile Cloud, 2015:128-134. DOI: 1109/MobileCloud.2015.39. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7130877/
- Quick J, Uhlich R, Ahmad S, Barnes S, Coughenour J, et.al. In-flight ultrasound identification of pneumothorax. Emergency Radiology. 23(1); 3-7. PMID 26407979.
- Kim P, Huh H, Cohen H, Feinberg E, Ahmad S, Coyle C, Teperman S, Boothe H. Intracolonic Vancomycin Enemas for Severe Clostridium Difficile Colitis. Surgical Infections. 14(6):532-539. PMID: 23560732.