Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
University of Alabama School of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
American Board of Surgery - Surgical Critical Care, American Board of Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Barnes led a national team funded by a $5.3 million federal grant to improve training for combat medics. With the United States Department of Defense funding, MU established the Combat Casualty Training Consortium (CCTC). The consortium represented a coalition of nationally recognized experts in trauma and combat casualty care and worked to further research in the area of combat medic training through simulation. Led by a team at MU's Frank L. Mitchell Jr., MD, Trauma Center, the consortium performed collaborative, multi-institutional research to improve care for wounded warriors.
- Micro RNA regulation of post-injury inflammation
- High fidelity simulation/virtual reality medical training
Areas of Expertise
- Surgical critical care
- General surgery
- Barnes SL, Bukoski A, Kerby JD, Llerna L, Armstrong JH, Strayhorn C, and the MU CCTC Investigators. Live Tissue vs Simulation Training for Emergency Procedures: Is Simulation ready to replace live tissue? Surgery 2016, in press.
- Bartels AN, Johnson C, Lewis J, Clevenger JS, Barnes SL, Hammer RD, Ahmad S. Platelet adenosine diphosphate inhibition in trauma patients by thromboelastography correlates with paradoxical increased platelet dense granule content by flow cytometry. Surgery 2016, in press.
- Barnes SL. Acute Care Surgery and emergency general surgery: Addition by subtraction. Invited Editorial Comment – Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Jul;81(1):131-6. doi: 10.1097/TA.0000000000001016.
- Lifofsky NS, Martin SA, Diaz, J, Ge, B, Petroski, G, Miller DC, Barnes SL, The Negative Impact of Anemia on Outcome from Traumatic Brain Injury. World Neurosurg. 2016 Feb 24. pii: S1878-8750(16)00321-1. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2016.02.076.
- Bukoski A, Uhlich R, Tucker J, Cooper C, Barnes SL. Recognition and treatment of nerve agent casualties: evidence of reduced learner engagement during video based training. Mil Med. 2016 May;181(5 Suppl):169-76. doi: 10.7205/MILMED-D-15-00145
- Quick JA, Uhlich RM, Ahmad S, Barnes SL, Coughenour JP. In-flight Ultrasound Identificatoin of Pneumothorax. Emerg Radiol. 2016 Feb;23(1):3-7. doi: 10.1007/s10140-015-1348-z. Epub 2015 Sep 25.
- Bartels A, Sarpong Y, Coberly J, Hughes N, Litt J, Quick J, Nelson C, Coughenour J, Barnes SL, Litofsky NS, Hammer R, Ahmad S. Failure of the Platelet Function Assay (PFA-100) to Detect Anti-platelet Agents. 2015 Oct;158(4):1012-9. Epub 2015 Aug 20.
- Quick JA, Meyer JM, Coughenour JP, Barnes SL. Less is More: Low-dose prothrombin complex concentrate is effective in acute care surgery patients. Am Surg. 2015 Jun;81(6):646-50.
- Gillis J, Prasad C, Bartels A, Popescu M, Barnes SL, Doty J, Higbee D, Ahmad S. Panacea’s Glass: Mobile Cloud Framework for Communication in Mass Casualty Disaster Triage. IEEE Mobile Cloud, 2015:128-134. DOI: 1109/MobileCloud.2015.39
- Quick JA, Barnes SL. Correct coagulopathy: quickly and effectively. 2015 Feb 26. pii: S0140-6736(14)61934-6. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61934-6.
- Skolnick BE1, Maas AI, Narayan RK, van der Hoop RG, MacAllister T, Ward JD, Nelson NR, Stocchetti N; SYNAPSE Trial Investigators. A clinical trial of progesterone for severe traumatic brain injury. N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 25;371(26):2467-76. doi: 1056/NEJMoa1411090. Epub 2014 Dec 10. Collaborators (160) Marmarou A, Maas AI, Narayan R, Skolnick BE, Ward J, Stocchetti N, Dearden NM, Clarence-Smith K, Genazzani AR, Grady MS, Steyerberg EW, Okonkwo D, Grieve G, Zaaroor M, Levi L, Smrcka M, May A, Pachl J, Manji M, Chen J, Pichon N, Lobato RD, Norasetthada T, Puybasset L, Petit L, Meisel H, Fakhry S, Wilberger J, Sahuquillo J, Rabb C, Walsh J, Mokry M, Yutthakasemsunt S, Huynh T, Rumana C, Audibert G, Citerio G, Agazzi S, Gruen J, O'Leary S, Ransom K, Trimmel H, Turner M, Zucker L, Umansky F, Nardi G, Dominguez JI, Zauberman J, Claridge J, Bulters D, Mace JC, McCarthy M, Colpaert K, Ratanalert S, Couture D, Choi K, Verma V, Cheng Y, Wang E, Rosen C, Medow J, Patterson L, Alberico A, Avila RA, Vega E, Unterberg A, Stocchetti N, Zhou L, Wong S, Beretta L, Laskowitz D, Vincent JL, Dominguez-Roldán J, Molina JM, Wang Z, Coimbra R, German J, Emhoff T, Boakye M, Surdell DL, García E, Leone M, Nimsky C, Sandesc D, Nagy L, Badenes R, Öhman J, Barnes SL, Jacoby M, Shillinglaw W, Orlandi C, Vander Laenen M, Grigoriev R, Rohde V, Vajkoczy P, Raventós AA, Minguillón MA, Oram J, Kuang Y, Chou N, Grindlinger G, Rodgers R, Tinti M, Nagy K, Pellegrini J, George R, Brevard SB, Barbozà A, Payen JF, Troubleyn J, Lavicka P, van der Naalt J, Spoelstra-de Man A, Molina JA, Miranda P, Lopez PM, Wright J, Thambinayagam H, Cheng W, Fulda G, Garrote M, Schmutzhard E, Depreitere B, Greiner C, Zacharowski K, Nevo M, Kang D, Yu R, Alias A, Nor MM, Espinosa J, Shaffrey M, Beauchamp K, Faber T, Dailler F, Cejpek P, Belkin S, Sardaryan I, Kobyakov G, Orel V, Weber F, Procaccio F, Della Corte F, Barzó P, Laha S, Zhang B, Cheang V, Arnold P, Badr A, Andersen B, Putnam A 2nd, Murali R, Videtta W, Regelsberger J, Rappaport ZH, Büki A, Mendiluce RM, Kumar D, Ng I, Tu YK.
- Uhlich R, Konie J, Davis W, Misfeldt M, Callaluce R, Barnes SL. Novel microRNA correlations in the severely injured. 2014 Oct;156(4):834-40. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2014.06.017.