1. Cooper County Memorial Hospital
Education & Training
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Michigan Medical School
Mayo Medical School, Mayo Medical School
American Board of Internal Medicine, American Board of IM - Cardiovascular Disease
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Vascular biology
Awards & Honors
- 1978 B.S., Magna cum Laude, University of Illinois
- 1980 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1981 Alpha Omega Alpha
- 1982 President, Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Illinois Chapter
- 1982 M.D. with Honors, University of Illinois
- 1982 Finalist, William J. Grove Award (Outstanding Graduate), University of Illinois
- 1989 Finalist, Young Investigators' Award Competition, American College of Cardiology
- 1990 Outstanding Achievement Award for a Subspecialty Trainee in Cardiovascular Disease (Research), Mayo Clinic
- 1992 Winner, Young Investigator Prizes in Thrombosis, American Heart Association
- 1994 Academic Exchange Award, American College of Cardiology/European Society of Cardiology
- 1998 Finalist, Update in Thrombolysis 1998 Research Award Competition
- 2004- J.W. and Lois Winifred Stafford Distinguished Chair in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Research, University of Missouri
- 2006 Thrombosis Special Recognition Award, ATVB Council of American Heart Association
- 2011 Visiting Professor, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2016 Chair, NIH Special Emphasis Panel ZRG1 VH-J, October 27 2016
- NIH R01
“Roles of Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 and Vitronectin in Failure of Coronary Revascularization”
- NIH/NHLBI Program Project Grant
“Molecular Genetics of Coagulation Disorders” PI: D. Ginsburg
Dr. Fay is Co-Investigator (10% effort) on Project 3: (“Thrombosis and Hemostasis in Host Defense from Bacterial Infection”, PI: H. Sun)
- NIH R44
“Improved long-term biocompatibility of coronary stents by plasma coating process” PI: M. Chen (APT Therapeutics). Missouri Life Sciences Trust Fund. “Targeting Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 to Inhibit Restenosis”
- Ji* Y, Weng* Z, Fish P, Goyal N, Luo M, Myears SP, Strawn TL, Chandrasekar B, Wu J, Fay WP (*these authors contributed equally to this article). Pharmacological Targeting of Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Decreases Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Migration and Neointima Formation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2016;36:2167-2175. PMCID: PMC5102271.
- Khoobchandani M, Katti K, Maxwell A, Fay WP*, Katti KV* (*co-senior author). Laminin Receptor-Avid Nanotherapeutic EGCg-AuNPs as a potential alternative therapeutic approach to prevent restenosis. Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Mar 1;17. doi: 10.3390/ijms17030316.
- Somanna NK, Valente AJ, Krenz M, Fay WP, Delafontaine P, Chandrasekar B. The Nox1/4 Dual Inhibitor GKT137831 or Nox4 Knockdown Inhibits Angiotensin-II-Induced Adult Mouse Cardiac Fibroblast Proliferation and Migration. AT1 Physically Associates With Nox4. J Cell Physiol. 2016;231:1130-41. doi: 10.1002/jcp.25210.
- Chen N, Ren M, Li R, Deng X, Li Y, Yan K, Xiao L, Yang Y, Wang L, Luo M, Fay WP, Wu J: Bevacizumab promotes venous thromboembolism through the induction of PAI-1 in a mouse xenograft model of human lung carcinoma. Molecular Cancer 2015; 14:140. PMCID: PMC4517418.
- Wu J, Strawn TL, Luo M, Wang L, Li R, Ren M, Xia J, Zhang Z, Ma W, Luo T, Lawrence DA, Fay WP: Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Inhibits Angiogenic Signaling by Uncoupling VEGF Receptor-2-αVβ3 Integrin Cross-talk. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015; 35:111-120. PMCID: PMC4270947.
- Ji Y, Fish PM, Strawn TL, Lohman AW, Wu J, Szalai AJ, Fay WP: C-reactive protein induces expression of tissue factor and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and promotes fibrin accumulation in vein grafts. J Thromb Haemost. 2014;12:1667-77. PMCID: PMC4194135.
- Sidhu MS, Aggarwal K, Fay WP: Acute Isolated Right Ventricular Myocardial Infarction Masquerading as Acute Anterior Myocardial Infarction. BMJ Case Reports. 2014; doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-008087.
- Zuidema MY, Peyton K, Fay WP, Durante W, Korthuis, RJ: Antecedent hydrogen sulfide elicits an anti-inflammatory phenotype in postischemic murine small intestine: Role of heme oxygenase-1. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2011;301:H888-H894. PMCID: 21666111.