1 cup experience + 1 cup caring

= a winning recipe to get Columbia baker Jeanne Plumley back to business

Photo of Rebecca Miller and Jeann Plumley baking pies.
Rebecca Miller and her mom, Jeanne Plumley, are back to baking pies after Plumley experienced a health scare that sent her to the Emergency Department.

As the owner of Peggy Jean’s Pies, Jeanne Plumley is used to having a lot on her plate. In June 2017, she and her husband were selling their 30-acre retreat at the Lake of the Ozarks and moving into a new home in Columbia. Jeanne was managing her home life while still working 12- to 14-hour days running her store and baking pies. So, when she spent a full day staining her deck, she wasn’t surprised when she didn’t feel well that night.

“I figured that I had just overdone it again,” Jeanne said. “I am a workhorse. I tend to just keep going no matter what.”

But she didn’t bounce back after a good night’s rest. In fact, a few days later, she couldn’t breathe and could barely move.

“It was incredibly scary,” Jeanne said. “I couldn’t walk more than a step without getting completely out of breath. I knew something was really wrong.”

Jeanne’s husband took her to the emergency room at University Hospital. Jeanne’s care team, led by Betsy Borsheski, DO, emergency physician at MU Health Care, checked her heart to rule out a possible heart attack. 

“When I got that personal phone call from the ER doctor, it showed me just how much her doctor cared.” - Rebecca Miller, Jeanne’s daughter

Borsheski then ordered tests to determine the cause of Jeanne’s severe symptoms. A CAT scan revealed that Jeanne had multiple blood clots in the arteries in her lungs. These blood clots can be life-threatening if not treated quickly. Jeanne was admitted to University Hospital and transferred to the intensive care unit to get the more advanced care she needed. 

“Dr. Borsheski actually called me personally that morning,” said Rebecca Miller, Jeanne’s daughter. “I was so surprised and happy. Dr. Borsheski asked how my mom was doing and also asked if I was holding up all right. We were already so pleased with how everyone cared for my mom. But when I got that personal phone call from the ER doctor, it showed me just how much her doctor cared.”

Jeanne made a full recovery after a 10-day hospital stay. Both Jeanne and Rebecca say what started out as a health scare actually turned out to be a blessing. And after a lifetime of smoking, Jeanne says she left the hospital with more than her health.

“I haven’t had one cigarette since I left the hospital,” Jeanne said. “I can’t tell you how many times I tried to quit. After 10 days in the hospital, I am completely smoke-free. I’m so thankful — it’s a double miracle.”

Read more stories like this