Education & Training
University of Kansas Medical Center
- University of Kansas Internal Medicine Residency
- University of CA Davis Medical Center - Medical Staff Office
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
- DePuy Synthes
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc.
- Orthopaedic Implant Company
- AO Foundation
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Dr. Crist focuses on basic, translational and clinical research involving fracture care, including pelvis and acetabular fracture surgery, geriatric fracture care, and fracture nonunion/infection; hip preservation, and total hip arthroplasty, and ankle cartilage procedures.
- Orthopaedic trauma/fracture care including nonunions, malunions, and infection
- Geriatric fracture care,
- Hip and pelvis reconstruction, including total hip arthroplasty and young adult hip disorders/hip preservation including cartilage and soft tissue
- Ankle cartilage procedures
Areas of Expertise
- Fracture care
- Hip preservation procedures including arthrsocopy, osteotomies, and cartilage/soft tissue reconstruction
- Anterior total hip arthroplasty
- Fracture nonunion/malunion/infection
- Limb preservation and deformity
Awards & Honors
- Barry J. Gainor Excellence in Teaching Award 2011 — University of Missouri Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of Missouri Hospital "Service Excellence Hero" Award — April, 2007
- Brett D. Crist, MD, Bradley R. Dart, MD, Peter J. Czuwala, Brad W. Olney, MD, Charles D. Pence, MD. "Using Flexible Nails to Improve Stabilization of Proximal Femur Fractures in Adolescents." The American Journal of Orthopedics. 2006; 35(1):37-41. - 3rd Place The American Journal of Orthopaedics Resident Writer's Award 2006
- George L. Lucas Resident Teacher of the Year Award 2004, University of Kansas-Wichita Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program
- Henry O. Marsh Resident Research Award 2004 - Mid-Central States Annual Meeting
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society 1998-Present
- Dean’s List - KU School of Medicine 1995-1999
- R.M. Gouldner Scholarship 1997-1999
- Daniel K. Roberts OB-GYN Award for Excellence 1999
- Tabor College Honors Award for Excellence in Natural and Mathematical Sciences 1993-1994
- Tabor College Dean’s Scholarship 1991-1994
- Nilsson Leaders for Tomorrow Memorial Scholarship 1990-1991
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, South Dakota State University 1990-1991
Selections from more than 100 peer-reviewed publications:
- Oladeji LO, Dreger TK, Pratte EL, Baumann CA, Stannard JP, Volgas DA, Rocca GJD, Crist BD. Total knee arthroplasty versus osteochondral allograft: prevalance and risk factors following tibial plateau fractures. J Knee Surg 2018 [Epub ahead of print]. Doi:10.1055/s-0038-16411593.
- James CR, Peterson BE, Crim JR, Cook JL, Crist BD. The use of fluoroscopy during direct anterior hip arthroplasty: powerful or misleading? J Arthroplasty 2018;33(6):1775-1779.
- Oladeji LO, Cook JL, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Large fresh osteochondral allografts for the hip: growing the evidence. Hip Int 2017 [Epub ahead of print]. Doi:10.5301/hipint.5000568.
- Lack WD, Crist BD, Seymour RB, Harvin W, Karunakar MA; TXA Study Group. Effect of tranexamic acid on transfusion: a randomized clinical trial in acetabular fracture surgery. J Orthop Trauma 2017;31(10):526-530.
- Harvin WH, Oladeji LO, Della Rocca GJ, Murtha YM, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Working length and proximal screw constructs in plate osteosynthesis of distal femur fractures. Injury 2017;48(11):2597-2601.
- Bodendorfer BM, Cook JL, Robertson DS, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Do 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels correlate with fracture complications? J Orthop Trauma 2016;30(9):e312-317.
- Crist BD, Stoker AM, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Analysis of relevant proteins from bone graft harvested using the reamer irrigator and aspirator system (RIA) versus iliac crest (IC) bone graft and RIA waste water. Injury 2016;47(8):1661-1668.
- Crist BD, Stoker AM, Pfeiffer FM, Kuroki K, Cook CR, Franklin SP, Stannard JP, Cook JL. Optimizing femoral-head osteochondral allograft transplantation in a preclinical model. Journal of Orthopaedic Translation 2016;(5):48-56.
- Crist BD, Ivie CB, Bal S. Total hip replacement with use of a direct anterior approach: a critical analysis review. JBJS Reviews 2014;2(6):e4.
- Uppal HS, Peterson BE, Misfeldt ML, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Murtha YM, Stannard JP, Choma TJ, Crist BD. The viability of cells obtained using the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator system and in bone graft from the iliac crest. Bone Joint J, 2013 Vol. 95-B, No. 9, September 2013
Click here for a complete list of Dr. Crist’s publications.