Dr. Hoernschemeyer is a board-certified pediatric orthopaedic specialist who serves the general orthopaedic needs of young patients. He has a national reputation for treating children with various types of dwarfism, and he is the only surgeon in Missouri who provides a less-invasive scoliosis treatment known as Vertebral Body Tethering.
In addition to these medical specialties, Dr. Hoernschemeyer assisted in the development of a patented plate used in the treatment of pediatric femur fractures. It is now available in 29 countries. He serves as co-director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit for the University of Missouri and is an active member of the Little People of America Medical Advisory Board, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America and the Scoliosis Research Society.
Education & Training
University of Missouri at Kansas City
- University of Missouri School of Medicine - Kansas City
- St Marys Spine Center
- Johns Hopkins University Hospital
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
- Zimmer Biomet
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
204 N. Keene St. #102
Columbia, MO 65201
My research interests include surgical correction of scoliosis using Vertebral Body Tethering, as well as operative and non-operative treatment of achondroplasia and other skeletal dysplasias. In support of my research, I have received grants from various pharmaceutical and medical equipment companies, including Striker Spine, BioMarin Pharmaceuticals and the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America. I have had the honor of presenting my work both nationally and internationally and have publications in the Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, The Spine Journal, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics and the American Journal of Orthopedics. Innovation and technology are critical in offering state-of-the-art care, and I am thankful to be able to use my research to improve the lives of my patients and their families.
- Vertebral Body Tethering
- Operative and non-operative treatment of achondroplasia and other skeletal dysplasias
Areas of Expertise
- Cerebral palsy
- Pediatric skeletal trauma
- Lower extremity deformities and/or misalignment
- Skeletal dysplasia
- Spine deformity correction
Awards & Honors
- 2017 – MU Children’s Hospital Medical Director of OR Operations
- 2017 – BioMarin Pharmaceuticals Advisory Board Member for Mucopolysaccharidosis
- 2017 – Inside Columbia’s Favorite Doctor
- 2016 – Inside Columbia’s Favorite Doctor
- 2015 – Inside Columbia’s Favorite Doctor
- 2011 – Little People of America Medical Advisory Board Member
- 2009 – MU Children’s Hospital Healing Hands Award
- 2008 – OrthoPediatrics Medical Advisory Board Member
- 2007 – MU Children’s Hospital PICU Co-director
- Active Member, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Active Member, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Candidate Fellow, Scoliosis Research Society
- Missouri State Orthopedic Association
- Missouri State Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- 2010-2012 Officer, Boone County Medical Society
- Hoernschemeyer, D. G., Boeyer, M. E., Robertson, M. E., Loftis, C. M., Worley, J. R., Tweedy, N. M., ... & Ramachandran, V. M. (2020). Anterior vertebral body tethering for adolescent scoliosis with growth remaining: a retrospective review of 2 to 5-year postoperative results. JBJS, 102(13), 1169-1176.
Lambrechts MJ, Gray AD, Hoernschemeyer DG, Gupta SK. Hip Impingement after Anterior Inferior Iliac Spine Avulsion Fractures: A Case Report with Review of the Literature. Case Reports in Orthopedics. 2020; Article ID 8893062.
Ravi Savarirayan, Daniel Hoernschmeyer, Jonathan Day, et al. Once-daily, subcutaneous vosoritide therapy in children with Achondroplasia: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial Lancet 2020; 396: 684-92.
Nuelle J, Coe K, Oliver HA, Cook JL, Hoernschemeyer DG, Gupta SK. JPO-15470, entitled "Effect of NSAID Use on Bone Healing in Pediatric Fractures: A Prospective, Randomized, Blinded Study" Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2020 sep;40(8):e683-e689.
Matthew A. Halanski, MD, Meagan Wallace, MD. Contributors: Ernestia Schipani, PhD; Daniel Hoernschemeyer, MD; Wan-Ju Li, PhD, et al. The Physis: Fundamental Knowledge to a Fantastic Future through Research: Proceedings of the 2018 AAOS/ORS Symposium. JPOSNA Vol 2 No 2 (2020): August 2020.
J. E. Gordon, J. T. Anderson, P. L. Schoenecker, M. B. Dobbs, S. J. Luhmann, D. G. Hoernschemeyer. Treatment of Femoral Fractures in Children Aged Two to Six. The Bone & Joint Journal 2020 Aug;102-B(8):1056-1061.
- A Multicenter Comparative analysis of AVBT to PSF in the treatment of Lenke 5 curves. Firoz Miyanji, MD; Baron loner, MD; Ahmet Alanay, MD; Amer F Samdani, MD; Daniel Hoernschemeyer, MD; Laurel Blakemore, MD; Kevin M. Neal, MD; Lawrence L. Lee Haber MD; Peter O. Newton, MD; And the Harms Study Group. IMAST 2021.
- Sanders2 Skeletal Maturity Patients Have the Greatest Rate and Duation of post Anterior Tether Scoliosis Correction. Newton, Lonner, Neal, Hoernschemeyer, Miyanji, Bastrom, HSG Non-Fusion Group. IMAST 2021.
- The “Blinded for Review” Retrospective Comparison Study on Anterior Vertebral body tethering (AVBT) versus posterior Spinal Fusion (PSF) for Primary Thoracic Curves. Peter Newton, Stefan Parent, Firoz Miyanji, Ahmet Alanay, Baron Lonner, Kevin Neal, Daniel Hoernschemeyer, Burt Yaszay, Laurel Blakemore, Suken Shah, Harms Study Group. IMAST 2021.
- Segmental Spinal Growth Modulation after Vertebral Body Tethering (VBT): Hope or Hype? Tyler C. McDonald, Jeffrey Varghese, Kevin Neal, Daniel G. Hoernschemeyer, Baron Lonner, A. Noelle Larson, Stefan Parent, Firoz Miyannji, Burt Yaszay, Peter O. Newton, Harms Study Group, Suken A. Shah. IMAST 2021.