Erik Grossmann, MD, has more than two decades of experience as a surgeon who focuses on patients with intestinal problems. These issues can include conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases and colorectal cancers. When he meets new patients, his first goal is to make them feel comfortable and let them know MU Health Care has a team of experts that can help them get better. His favorite part of the job is visiting with people five years after their cancer surgery and telling them they are cured.
Dr. Grossmann grew up in St. Louis and got interested in medicine as a boy, when he used the knowledge he learned in a Cub Scouts first-aid class to help his mom when she cut her hand in the kitchen. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, cooking, camping and playing guitar in a garage rock band.
Education & Training
University of Missouri School of Medicine
Surgery (General Surgery)
- St. Louis University School of Medicine/Medical Center
Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Louisiana State University Medical Center-Shreveport
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Johnson FE, Longo WE, Ode K, Shariff US, Papettas T, McGarry AE, Gammon SR, Lee PA, Audisio RA, Grossmann EM, Virgo KS.
“Patient surveillance after curative-intent surgery for rectal cancer.”
Int J Oncol. 2005 Sep;27(3):815-22.
- West JR, Mohiuddin SA, Hand WR, Grossmann EM, Virgo KS, Johnson FE.
“Surgery for constipation in patients with prior spinal cord injury: the Department of Veterans Affairs experience.”
J Spinal Cord Med. 2013 May;36(3):207-12.
- Margenthaler JA, Longo WE, Virgo KS, Johnson FE, Grossmann EM, Schifftner TL, Henderson WG, Khuri SF.
“Risk factors for adverse outcomes following surgery for small bowel obstruction.”
Ann Surg. 2006 Apr;243(4):456-64.
- Grossmann EM, Johnson FE, Virgo KS, Longo WE, Fossati R.
“Follow-up of colorectal cancer patients after resection with curative intent-the GILDA trial.”
Surg Oncol. 2004 Aug-Nov;13(2-3):119-24.
- Grossmann EM, Longo WE, Virgo KS, Johnson FE, Oprian CA, Henderson W, Daley J, Khuri SF.
“Morbidity and mortality of gastrectomy for cancer in Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers.”
Surgery. 2002 May;131(5):484-90.
- Singh RK, Dharmasena D, Virgo KS, Tyson SE, Grossmann EM, Johnson FE.
“Proctectomy for rectal cancer in patients with prior spinal cord injury.” Surg Oncol. 2008 Dec;17(4):313-6.