Education & Training
- Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Washington University School of Medicine
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
- Flexion Therapeutics
- Johnson and Johnson
- Depuy Synthes (Medical Device Business Services, Inc)
- Advance Medical Inc
- Heron Phamaceuticals
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
Dr. Keeney has participated in clinical research encompassing a broad number of topics in adult hip and knee reconstruction over the past 15 years. The major substantive areas of contribution have focused on three major topical areas: 1) The assessment of patient demographic risk factors on complication and readmission risks following total hip and knee replacement surgery, 2) defining the balanced risks of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis approaches and wound related complications after hip and knee replacement surgery, and 3) assessing the impact of patient demographic features, including young age and obesity on the outcome of primary and revision hip and knee replacement surgery.
- Assessment of clinical outcomes for patients undergoing hip and knee arthroplasty surgery
- Prevention of perioperative complications
- Medical optimization for joint replacement surgery
- Impact of patient care initiatives on health economics
- Performance of joint replacement implants and techniques
Areas of Expertise
- Hip replacement
- Knee Replacement
- Clinical Outcomes
- Patient Demographic Characteristics and Joint Replacement Outcomes
- Decreasing Perioperative Complications in Joint Replacement
Awards & Honors
- 1989 - Distinguished Graduate, United States Air Force Academy
- 2013 - OREF/CCJR Clinical Practice Award for “Readmission Following Total Knee Arthroplasty: Venous Thromboembolism as a ‘Never Event’ Is a Counterproductive Misnomer”
- 2014 - Top Reviewer for Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- 2015 - Top Reviewer for Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- 2016 - Elite Reviewer for Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- 2017 - Exemplary Reviewer for Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- 2018 - Top Reviewer for Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
Major Committee Assignments:
- 2006-2010 - AAOS Extremity War Injury Symposium/Disaster Preparedness Work Group
- 2006-2015 - Board of Directors, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2008-2009 - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Leadership Fellows Program
- 2008-2010 - Defense Medical Training and Readiness Institute Combat Trauma Surgical Committee
- 2008-2011 - AAOS Practice Management Committee
- 2008-2014 - AAOS Anatomy-Imaging Subcommittee
- 2010-2015 - AAOS-Board of Specialty Societies, Health Policy Representative (SOMOS Board)
- 2012- 2015 - AAHKS-Total Knee Arthroplasty Work Group
- 2013- 2014 - SMOAK- Clinical Practice Guidelines Work Group
- 2014-2016 - AAHKS- Quality Measures for Hip Arthroplasty Work Group
- 2015-2016 - AAOS Board of Councilors, BOC Committee on State Legislative and Regulatory Issues
- 2015-present - Missouri State Orthopaedic Association Board of Directors
- 2015-2018 - AAOS Performance Measure Workgroup on OA: Pain and Function Assessment
- 2016-present - AAOS Adult Reconstruction Knee Program Committee
- 2016-present - AOA Finance Committee
- 2016-present - MAOA Membership Committee
- 2016-2018 - AAHKS Leadership Development Committee, Vice Chairman
- 2017-present - AAOS Board of Councilors, BOC Committee on Economic Issues
- 2017-present - AAOS Board of Councilors, Advocacy Resources Committee
- 2018-present - AAHKS Education Committee
- 2018-present - MAOA Membership Committee, Chair
Memberships in Professional Societies:
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Fellow, American Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association (MAOA)
- Southern Orthopaedic Association (SOA)
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS)
- Missouri State Orthopaedic Association (MSOA)
- Journal of Hip Surgery, Associate Editor
- Journal of Knee Surgery, Associate Editor
- Orthopedics, Editorial Board Member
- Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Journal of Arthroplasty
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
- Journal of Hip Surgery
- Journal of Knee Surgery
Selected from more than 50 peer-reviewed publications:
- Keeney JA, Cook JL, Clawson SW, Aggarwal A, Stannard JP. Incisional negative pressure wound therapy devices improve short-term wound complications, but not long-term infection rate following hip and knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2018. pii: S0883-5403(18)31209-9.
- Oladeji LO, Ponce BA, Worley JR, Keeney JA. Mentorship in orthopedics: A national survey of orthopedic surgery residents. J Surg Educ. 2018;75(6):1606-1614.
- Burger JR, Hansen BJ, Leary EV, Aggarwal A, Keeney JA. Dual-agent antibiotic prophylaxis using a single preoperative vancomycin dose effectively reduces prosthetic joint infection rates with minimal renal toxicity risk. J Arthroplasty. 2018;33(7S):S213-S218.
- Stambough JB, Nam D, Warren DK, Keeney JA, Clohisy JC, Barrack RL, Nunley RM. Decreased hospital costs and surgical site infection incidence with a universal decolonization protocol in primary total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2017;32(3):728-734.
- Keeney JA. Innovations in total knee arthroplasty: improved technical precision, but unclear clinical benefits. Orthopedics. 2016;39(4):217-220.
- Nam D, Nunley RM, Johnson SR, Keeney JA, Clohisy JC, Barrack RL. The effectiveness of a risk stratification protocol for thromboembolism prophylaxis after hip and knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31(6):1299-1306.
- Skelley NW, Keeney JA, Nunley RM. The importance of resident engagement in health policy. Orthopedics. 2015;38(8):472-474.
- Keeney JA, Nam D, Johnson SR, Nunley RM, Clohisy JC, Barrack RL. Socioeconomically disadvantaged CMS beneficiaries do not benefit from the readmission reduction initiatives. J Arthroplasty. 2015;30(12):2082-2085.
- Keeney JA, Martell JM, Pashos G, Nelson CJ, Maloney WJ, Clohisy JC. Highly cross-linked polyethylene improves wear and mid-term failure rates for young total hip arthroplasty patients. Hip Int. 2015;25(5):435-441.
- Keeney JA, Nunley RM, Baca G, Clohisy JC. Are younger patients undergoing THAs appropriately characterized as active? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015;473(3):1083-1092.