James Stevermer, MD, is medical director of Callaway Physicians, a residency training site in Fulton, Missouri. He is also the medical director of Mid-Missouri AHEC, which oversees rural training for University of Missouri medical students.
Education & Training
Washington University School of Medicine
- University of Missouri Health Care
Post Graduate School
Master of Science in Public Health, University of Missouri
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
One Hospital Drive
MA303 Medical Sciences Building, DC032.00
Columbia, MO 65212
James Stevermer, MD, MSPH, regularly teaches in the Introduction to Patient Care portion of the first year curriculum, and he serves on the Curriculum Board for the MU School of Medicine. He chairs the Pre-professional Scholars Committee, which oversees one of six rural pre-admissions programs in the country. Dr. Stevermer is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians Commission on Health of the Public and Science, and he serves as their liaison to the Women’s Preventive Services Initiative and the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases. He is also a member of the Rabies Working Group for the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Dr. Stevermer has written and edited for the Family Physicians Inquiries Network since its inception. His hobbies include music, board games and reading.
- Medical Education
- Medical Ethics
- Rural Health Care
- Chronic Disease
- Evidence-Based Medicine
Awards & Honors
Family Medicine Teacher of the Year, University of Missouri Family and Community Medicine
- Depression following acute coronary syndrome events: Screening and treatment guidelines from the AAFP.
American Family Physician. 2019;99(12):786A-786J.
Frost J, Rich Jr RL, Robbins CW, Stevermer JJ, Chow RT, Leon KK, Bird MD.
- Lay advisor interventions in rural populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2019;57(1):117-126.
Patil SJ, Lewis M, Tallon EM, Wareg NK, Murray KS, Elliott SG, Stevermer JJ, Kruse RL, Mehr DR.
- Authors' response.
Journal of Family Practice. 2019;68(1):E2-E2.
Stevermer JJ, Hayes A.
- Characterization of licensees during the first year of Missouri's Assistant Physician Licensure Program.
JAMA. 2018;320(16):1706-1707.Hoekzema GS, Stevermer JJ.
- Should you reassess your patient's asthma diagnosis?
Journal of Family Practice. 2018;67(11):704-707.
Stevermer JJ, Hayes A.
- Counseling patients about prostate cancer screening.
American Family Physician. 2018;98(8):478-483.
Stevermer JJ, Fink KS.
- Does preventive dental education for pregnant women help prevent early childhood caries in their children?
Evidence-Based Practice. 2018;21(8):45.
Patel P, Stevermer JJ.
- PURLs: Let low-risk moms eat during labor?Journal of Family Practice. 2018;67(6):379-380.
Phelps K, Deavers J, Seehusen DA, Stevermer JJ.
- Time to switch to nonsterile gloves for these procedures?
Journal of Family Practice. 2018;67(8):507-508.
Castelli G, Friedlander MP, Stevermer JJ.
- Need an add-on to metformin? Consider this.
Journal of Family Practice. 2017;66(1):42-44.
Wyncott D, Lyon C, Mounsey A, Stevermer JJ.
- PURLs: The benefits–and limits–of PPIs with warfarin regimens.
Journal of Family Practice. 2017;66(11):694-696.
Ludden-Schlatter A, Stevermer JJ.
- Treatments for nocturnal leg cramps.
American Family Physician. 2017;96(7):Online.
Herzberg J, Stevermer J.
- Aneuploidy screening: newer noninvasive test gains traction.
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(1):49-52.
Nickolich S, Farahi N, Jones K, Mounsey A, Stevermer JJ.
- Deliver or wait with late preterm membrane rupture?
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(11):820-822.
Bergeson K, Prasad S, Stevermer JJ.
- “Go low” or say “No” to aggressive systolic BP goals?
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(5):342-344.
Day M, Stevermer JJ.
- More isn’t better with acute low back pain treatment.
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(6):404-406.
Frazer K, Stevermer JJ.
- Notice of retraction.
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(11):754.
Stephens L, Stevermer JJ.
- PURLs: A more palatable alternative to oral rehydration therapy for kids.
Journal of Family Practice. 2016;65(12):924-926.
Reust CE, Stevermer JJ, Jarrett JB.