Education & Training
University of Washington
- Mayo Clinic
- Mayo Clinic
- National Institutes of Health
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Bladeless laser cataract surgery
- LASIK and refractive surgery
- New technology lens implants
Areas of Expertise
- Femtosecond Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery and adjustment of intraocular pressure to prevent complications of surgery.
- Dietary high dose riboflavin and natural UV light exposure in prevention and treatment of keratoconus. Dietary high dose riboflavin in treatment of migraine variants.
- New technology lens implants for correction of myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
Awards & Honors
- 1987 Outstanding and Effective Teacher Award, Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN, Surgical Instrument Co (ASICO)
- 1994 Lecturer’s Medal, University of Indonesia School of Medicine
- 1995 Sister Dora Award for Coast Efficiency in Cataract Surgery, St. Francis Hospital
- 1999–2002 Executive Committee, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- 2000–2001 Washington State Medical Association Interspecialty Council
- 2000–2001 Past President, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- 2001 King County Council (Seattle Metro) Commendation for International Humanitarian Work
- 2001 Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons Humanitarian of the Year
- 2002 Outstanding Intellectuals of the Twenty First Century, IBC Cambidge England
- 2005–2006 Chief of Medical Staff, St. Francis Hospital
- 2006 Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine (Ophthalmology), United Kingdom
- 2006–2011 Judicial Council, Washington State Medical Association
- 2011 Top 15 Nationwide Leaders in Laser Eye Surgery, Newsweek
- 2012 U.S. Navy Commendation, Outstanding Civilian Volunteer Surgeon, USNS Mercy (US Navy Hospital Ship) SE Asia deployment
- 2014 Honorary Professor / Faculty Jacket, University of Indonesia, Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 1994–2016 Who’s Who Among Business and Health Professionals
- 2002–2016 America’s top Ophthalmologists, Consumer Research Council
- 2014–present Board of Governors, Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Yakima, WA
- 2015–present Chairman, Development Committee, Pacific Northwest University, Yakima, WA
- Visiting Professorships
- 1993, 94, 96 University of Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe, Africa
- 1994, 94, 2001, 03, 07, 09, 11, 12, 14,16 University of Indonesia Department of Ophthalmology
- 1996 University of Nigeria, Lagos Review Course
- 2001, 2016 Fatima Medical College Department of Ophthalmology, Manila
- 2001 University of Philippines Department of Ophthalmology
- 2006 Cairo, Egypt
- 2011, 12 Rajin, North Korea
- 2012, 13, 14, 15 Sam Ratulangi University, Kandor Eye Hospital
- 2014 Instituto Oftamolgico Nacionale de Angola, Luanda, Angola
- 2014 University of Missouri, Mason Eye institution, Columbia
- 2015 University of South Carolina, Columbia
- 2015, 2016 Corazon Montebelino District Hospital & Medical School, Bacolod, Philippines
- *World Eye Doctor Slalom Ski Champion, Cortina, Italy, 2007*
- Jarstad JS, Jarstad AR, Day LE - Prevention of Cystoid Macular Edema by Immediate Post-op Intraocular Pressure Adjustment Following Micro-incision Cataract Surgery." Accepted for publication. Korean J Oph. 2016.
- Jarstad JS, Chung GW, Tester RA – “Robotic FemtoSecond Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery – Everything You Need to Know.” Optometric Physician Education Seminar. Experience Music Project Lecture. Seattle. November 2013
- Jarstad, JS – Lecture Series - Grand Rounds, Ophthalmic Plastic, Reconstructive and Phaco Surgery. Sam Ratulangi University Kandor Eye Unit. June 7-14, 2013.
- Jarstad AR, Jarstad JS – “Does Anybody Really Know What the Immediate Post-op Intraocular Pressure Is?” Poster AAO, Chicago IL November 2012.
- Jarstad JS – Orbital Tumors and Hemi-facial Reconstruction in SE Asia Population Treated Aboard USNS Mercy 2012. Grand Rounds USNS Mercy Hospital Ship. Pacific Partnership 2012 (Vinh Vietnam, Sihanoukville Cambodia) August 2012.
- Jarstad AR, Jarstad JS, “Immediate Adjustment of Intraocular Pressure and the Effect on Cystoid Macular Edema Following Uncomplicated Small Incision Cataract Surgery.” Submitted for Publication JCRS 2011.
- Jarstad, JS, “Alaska to Zimbabwe, North Korea to North Africa: LDS Medical Missions,” Leadership Lecture, Southern Virginia University, November 16, 2011.
- Jarstad JS - "The Four True Eye Emergencies (Acute Angle Closure Glaucoma, Sudden Vision Loss, Alkali Burn, Penetrating Trauma)." Lecture to Medical Students, Pacific NW University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Yakima, WA April 24, 2009
- Jarstad JS - "Advances in Glaucoma and Dry Eye Treatment." Allergan Lecture Series. Pacific Coast Optometry Dinner Lecture, Richland, WA April 23, 2009
- Jarstad JS, Jarstad AR, Tester, RA, Chung GW, Day LE - "Immediate Post-operative Intra-ocular Pressure Adjustment and Effect on Cystoid Macular Edema in Uncomplicated Cataract Surgery." Lead paper Retina and CME complications of Cataract Surgery Symposium, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons - Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA April 5, 2009.
- Jarstad JS, "Complications of Iris Hooks and Pupil Expansion Rings." Finalist in Video Competition, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons - Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA 2009
- Jarstad JS "Update on the Crystalens Accommodative IOL and the Visian ICL." Instructional Course, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA March 27, 2009
- Jarstad, JS, "Azasite - The First FDA Approved Azithromycin Ophthalmic Eye drop." Inspire Pharmaceutical Presentation, Wild Ginger, Seattle WA November 16, 2007.
- Jarstad, JS, "Treatment of Complications of Cataract and Refractive Surgery." Keynote address. Indonesian Ophthalmology Association 33rd Annual Meeting, Jakarta Indonesia June 16, 2007
- Jarstad, JS, Tester, RA, Chung GW, Multifocal vs. Accommodative New Technology Intraocular Lens Implants - A Single Site 3 year Review of Results. Indonesian Ophthalmology 33rd Annual Meeting, Jakarta Indonesia, June 18, 2007.
- Jarstad, JS, “New Technology May Eliminate Bi-focals.” Radius Magazine, Vol 3 January, 2007.
- Jarstad, JS, “Dry Eyes Can Increase With Age.” Radius Magazine, Vol 2 December 2006.
- Jarstad, JS, “Ask Your Eye Surgeon – Dandruff of the Eyelids” Radius Magazine, Vol 1 Summer 2006.
- Jarstad JS, “Cataract Surgery Efficiency.” Ophthalmology Management April 15, 2003
- Jarstad JS, “Secure Business E-Mail, Encryption & Privacy. New E-Mail Initiative Helps Physician Offer Secure and Private Communication. Ophthalmology Management. June 11, 2003.
- Boudreau RA, Jarstad JS, “Practice Management Pearls in Ophthalmology” Invited Lecture. Tenth National Congress & 29th Annual Meeting of Indonesian Ophthalmologists Association. June 7, 2003 Jogykarta Indonesia
- Jarstad JS, “18 years of Cataract Pearls” Cataract & Refractive Surgery Symposia, Tenth National Congress & 29th Annual Meeting –I.O.A. June 9th 2003
- Jarstad JS “Refractive Surgery Pearls” Cataract & Refractive Surgery Symposia, Tenth National Congress & 29th Annual Meeting I O A June 9th 2003.
- Jarstad JS “Treatment of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Complications” Keynote Address. Tenth National Congress & 29th Annual Meeting – Indonesian Ophthalmologists Association, June 10th 2003, Jogykarta, Indonesia.
- Purba D, Gunawan W, Harmani B, Jarstad JS, Sudjarno, Djonggi P, Lee HM, Sudarman S, “Posterior Segment Complications in Cataract Surgery (CME, Endophthalmitis, Dropped Nucleus, Posterior Uveitis, Retinal Detachment, Phaco Post Vitrectomy), Symposium on Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Tenth National Congress & 29th Annual Meeting I.O.A. June 10th, 2003, Jogykarta, Indonesia.
- Gondhowiardjo TD, Jarstad JS, Boudreau RA, “Performance Standards in Cataract Surgery – A Computerized and Predicted Approach.” Indonesian Journal of Ophthalmology (submitted for publication 11/12/2003).
- Jarstad, JS “Attendees Share What They Learn at AAO.” Ophthalmology Management January 2002.
- Jarstad JS, Jarstad JR, “Top Ten List for Improving O.R. Efficiency in Cataract Surgery,” University of Philippines Department of Ophthalmology Grand Rounds Invited Speaker, June 10th 2001.
- Jarstad JS, Jarstad JR, “Ophthalmic Emergencies” Fatima Medical College Department of Ophthalmology, Grand Rounds Invited Speaker, Manila Philippines, June 9th 2001.
- Jarstad, JS, “Saturation-Dosing” for Dry Eye / NTIOL’s = Higher Reimbursement.” Ophthalmology Management October 2000
- Jarstad JS, Boudreau RA et al. Bringing the ASC Mindset to the Hospital, Ophthalmology Management, Vol 4 pp 74 2001
- McDonald M, Foulkes RB, Hogan NR, Jarstad JS, Wilson SE, “Dialogue-Can ablated corneal tissue be harmful to refractive surgeons?” EyeWorld Vol 6, Number 6 2001.
- Beirne MN, Jarstad JS, “Getting Started – New Options in Punctal Occlusion” Review of Ophthalmology. August 2001.
- Almallah OF, Hill WE, Jarstad JS, Shugar JK, Woodhams JT, “Complicated Cases: IOL Implantation in Patients at High Risk for Retinal Detachment.” EyeWorld ASCRS 2. 2000.
- Jarstad JS, “Should Patenting of Surgical Procedures and Other Medical Techniques by Physicians Be Banned?” Letter to the Editor - Ocular Surgery News, December 1, 1994
- Jarstad JS, “The Excimer’s New Clothes.” Letter to the Editor – Ocular Surgery News, August 15, 1994.
- Jarstad JS, Hardwig PW, “Swan Syndrome – Intraocular Hemorrhage from Wound Neovascularization Months to Years after Anterior Segment Surgery.” Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol 22:271-275 (August 1987).
- Jarstad JS, “Optimization of Surgical Technique with the Array Multifocal IOL using a New Marker for Refractive Cataract Surgery.” Abstracts – American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeon’s 1999 Annual Meeting.
- Jarstad JS, Boudreau RA, Stuart LR, “Twenty Five Cataracts, 1 O.R., 8 Hours – How we did it!” Instructional Course - American Society of Ophthalmic Administrators Annual Meeting 1999.
- Jarstad JS “Smart Scheduling,” Ophthalmology Management, April 6, 1999.
- Jarstad JS, “Need More Days in the Week?” Ophthalmology Management, June 2, 1999
- Jarstad JS, Weingeist AP, “Reusable or Disposable? Ophthalmology Management, October 19, 1999.
- Jarstad JS, Weingeist AP, “A 5-year Prospective Randomized Study of Reusable vs. Disposable Supplies in Cataract Surgery.” Abstract – ASCRS Annual Meeting 1999.
- Jarstad JS, “Ophthalmologist’s seeing Stars.” Puget Sound Business Journal. March 3, 1997.
- Happy RA, Jarstad JS, “Gift of Sight Restored to Thousands” Tacoma News Tribune April 2, 1998.
- Jarstad JS, Shetlar DJ, Bourne WM, Marcoux JP, Borrmann L, Lue J, Duzman E, Leon J, Welsh PW, “Evaluation of Two Mast Cell Stabilizers for Ragweed Conjunctivitis with Graded Ragweed Provocation Testing.” Suppl to Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Vol 28, No 3 p. 38. 1987.
- Hassan K, Jarstad JS “Review of Oculoplastic Surgery – Blepharoptosis” Lagos Review Course, University of Nigeria Department of Ophthalmology, Lagos Nigeria November 9, 1996.
- Jarstad JS, Eye to Eye - Memoirs of a Mayo Trained Medical Missionary, Blitzprint Publishing, Calgary AB, Canada, 2006. Amazon.com.