Education & Training
- University of Hamburg
- University of Hamburg
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Kaifi specializes in the thorax: the area of the body between the neck and the abdomen. He has expertise in malignant and benign conditions relating to the lung, esophagus and chest wall as well as certain membranes found in this region.
Kaifi, who has been in practice for more than 15 years, has a broad background in translational cancer research. He has developed innovative detection techniques in patients, including the analysis of liquid biomarkers. These telltale signs of disease can be detected through the minimally invasive technology of liquid biopsy. Additionally, Kaifi published an influential study on the spread of cancer cells to bone marrow and the lymph nodes, and he has contributed significantly to research on genetic alterations that may occur with certain cancers. More recently, he has made inroads into a new technique to isolate tumor cells that have found their way into the bloodstream.
In addition to his research and clinical practice, Kaifi has a record of service in the field. For several years, he served as deputy treasurer of the Association for Academic Surgery. He is also a member of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Network.
Dr. Jussuf Kaifi is an assistant professor of surgery and chief of thoracic surgery in the School of Medicine.
- Translational cancer research
- Liquid biomarkers (circulating tumor cells)
- Clinical trials
Areas of Expertise
- General thoracic surgery (adults and pediatric)
- Malignant and benign conditions of the lung, esophagus, chest wall, mediastinum and pleura
- Robotically-assisted and minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Airway and upper GI endoscopy
- Qi X, Lam SS, Liu D, Kim DY, Ma L, Alleruzzo L, Chen W, Hode T, Henry CJ, Kaifi J, Kimchi ET, Li G, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Development of inCVAX, In situ Cancer Vaccine, and Its Immune Response in Mice with Hepatocellular Cancer. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2016 Aug;7(4).
- Li G, Liu D, Cooper TK, Kimchi ET, Qi X, Avella DM, Li N, Yang QX, Kester M, Rountree CB, Kaifi JT, Cole DJ, Rockey DC, Schell TD, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Successful chemoimmunotherapy against hepatocellular cancer in a novel murine model. J Hepatol. 2016 Aug 9.
- Wachowiak R, Mayer S, Kaifi J, Gebauer F, Izbicki JR, Lacher M, Bockhorn M, Tachezy M. Prognostic Impact of Activated Leucocyte Cell Adhesion Molecule (ALCAM/CD166) in Infantile Neuroblastoma. Anticancer Res. 2016 Aug;36(8):3991-5.
- Schmid S, Csanadi A, Aicher M, Passlick B, Kaifi JT. Significance of the resection margin in bronchopulmonary carcinoids. J Surg Res. 2016 Mar;201(1):53-8
- Avella DM, Toth JW, Reed MF, Gusani NJ, Kimchi ET, Mahraj EP, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Kaifi JT. Pleural space infections after image-guided percutaneous drainage of infected intraabdominal fluid collections: a retrospective single institution analysis. BMC Surg. 2015 Apr 11;15:42.
- Kaifi JT, Kunkel M, Das A, Harouaka RA, Dicker DT, Li G, Zhu J, Clawson GA, Yang Z, Reed MF, Gusani NJ, Kimchi ET, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Zheng SY, El-Deiry WS..Circulating tumor cell isolation during resection of colorectal cancer lung and liver metastases: a prospective trial with different detection techniques. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015;16(5):699-708.
- Das A, Kunkel M, Joude J, Dicker DT, Scicchitano A, Allen JE, Sarwani N, Yang Z, Kaifi JT, Zhu J, Liao J, El-Deiry WS. Clinico-pathological correlation of serial measurement of circulating tumor cells in 24 metastatic colorectal cancer patients receiving chemotherapy reveals interpatient heterogeneity correlated with CEA levels but independent of KRAS and BRAF mutation. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015;16(5):709-13.
- Kaifi JT, Kunkel M, Dicker DT, Joude J, Allen J, Zhu J, Yang Z. Sarwani NE, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, El-Deiry ES. Circulating tumor cell levels are elevated in colorectal cancer patients with high tumor burden in the liver. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015;16(5):690-8.
- Schmid S, Csanadi A, Kaifi JT, Kübler M, Haager B, Kayser G, Passlick B, Wiesemann S. Prognostic factors in solitary fibrous tumors of the pleura. J Surg Res. 2015 May 15;195(2):580-7.
- Kulaylat AN, Schubart JR, Stokes AL, Bhayani NH, Wong J, Kimchi ET, Staveley-O´Carroll KF, Kaifi JT, Gusani NJ. Overall survival by pattern of recurrence following curative intent surgery for colorectal liver metastasis. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Dec;110(8):1011-5
- Kulaylat AN, Bhayani NH, Stokes AL, Schubart JR, Wong J, Kimchi ET, Staveley-O´Carroll KF, Kaifi JT, Gusani NJ. Determinants of repeat curative intent surgery in colorectal liver metastasis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Nov;18(11): 1894-901
- Jiang Y, Mackley HB, Kimchi ET, Zhu J, Gusani N, Kaifi J, Staveley-O´Carroll KF, Belani CP. Phase I dose escalation study of capecitabine and erlotinib concurrent with radiation in locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacolog. 2014 Jul;74(1):205-10