Education & Training
University of Missouri School of Medicine
- University of Missouri at Columbia
- University of Missouri School of Medicine GME
- The Children's Hospital at Medical College of Wisconsin
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
1 Hospital Dr
Columbia, MO 65212
Kari Martin, MD , is interested in adult and pediatric allergic contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, hidradenitis suppurativa, infantile hemangiomas and other vascular anomalies and new therapeutics in pediatric dermatology diseases.
- Inflammatory skin disease including atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis and psoriasis
- Pediatric allergic contact dermatitis registry
- Best practices of educating patients, families, primary care providers, residents and medical students, and the public around general dermatology and pediatric dermatology diseases.
Areas of Expertise
- General pediatric dermatology: acne, eczema, psoriasis, warts, molluscum
- Pediatric dermatology surgery: moles, benign and malignant tumors, cysts
- General adult dermatology
- Birthmarks both vascular and pigmented
- Laser treatments in children and adults (pulsed dye laser for vascular conditions)
- Inflammatory skin disease: atopic dermatitis (eczema), allergic contact dermatitis, hidradenitis suppurativa
Awards & Honors
- 2020: University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine Alumni Association Outstanding Young Physician Award
- 2020: American Academy of Dermatology "Patient Care Hero" award
- 2017:Association of American Medical Colleges Early Career Women Faculty Leadership Development Seminar, selected participant
- 2017: Women in Medicine and Medical Sciences (WIMMS) travel award recipient for the AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Development Seminar
- 2016-2017: American Academy of Dermatology, Academic Dermatology Leadership Program (ADLP), selected participant
- 2014: University of Missouri School of Medicine Curriculum Board’s Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2013: American Academy of Dermatology Leadership Forum, selected participant
- Collis RW, Tam I, Snyder A, Plante J, Grisham E, Onate A, Chen JK, Liszewski WJ, Goldminz AM, Cotton C, Hunt R, Martin KL, Sheinbein D, Yu J.
Evaluating the inclusiveness of common allergens in expanded series patch tests for children in the pediatric allergic contact dermatitis registry.
J Am Acad Dermatol. S0190-9622(21)02176-9. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2021.07.029. Epub ahead of print. July 2021.
- Tam I, Gole H, Martin KL, Goldminz AM, Yu
J. Cross-sectional evaluation of the pediatric baseline series in detection of contact sensitization in children.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 84(4):1123-1126. Apr 2021.
- Sindle A, Martin KL. Art of Prevention: Essential oils – Natural products not necessarily safe. Int J of Women’s Derm. 7(3):304-308. Nov 2020.
- Bridges C, Reed Shenk ME, Martin KL, Launhardt A.
Cutaneous manifestations of childhood eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (cEGPA): a case-based review.
Pediatr Dermatol. 37(4): 604-612. Jul/Aug 2020.
- Sindle A, Jacob S, Martin KL.
Common allergens and considerations when performing pediatric patch testing.
Dermatology Clinics. 38:321-327. July 2020.
- Yu J, Atwater A, Brod B, et al.
Pediatric baseline patch test series: Pediatric Contact Dermatitis Workgroup.
Dermatitis. 29(4):206-12. Jul/Aug 2018.
- Vale SM, Koenig K, Ailor SK, Martin KL.
Knowledge of dermatologic abbreviations: A survey of patients and physicians who are not dermatologists.
J Am Acad. 76(2): 362-4. Feb 2017.
- Williams A, Snitzer L, Martin KL.
An unusual case of incontinentia pigmenti presenting with papules and plaques.
Clin Pediatr Dermatol. 2:2. 2016.
- Allmon A, Deane K, Martin KL.
Common skin rashes in children. Am Fam Physician. 1;92(3):211-6. Aug 2015.
- Martin KL, Arvedson J, Drolet B, Siegel S, Chun R.
Risk of dysphagia and speech and language delay in PHACE syndrome.
Pediatr Dermatol. 32(1):64-9. 2015.
- Martin KL, Lyon V, Chiu Y, Holland K.
An unusual cluster of circumscribed juvenile pityriasis rubra pilaris cases.
Pediatr Dermatol. 31(2):138-45. Mar-Apr 2014.
- Kwon EM, Basel D, Seigel D, Martin KL.
A review of next-generation genetic testing for the dermatologist.
Pediatr Dermatol. 30(4):401-8, July-Aug 2013.
- Drolet BA, Frommelt PC, Chamlin SL, et al.
Initiation and use of propranolol for infantile hemangioma: report of a consensus conference.
Pediatrics. 131(1):128-40. Jan 2013.
- Martin KL, Blei F, Chamlin SL, et al.
Propranolol treatment of infantile hemangiomas: anticipatory guidance for parents and caretakers.
Pediatr Dermatol. 30(1):155-9. Jan-Feb 2013
- Edison K, Chance L, Martin KL, Braudis K, Whited JD.
Users and nonusers of university-based dermatology services following a teledermatology encounter: a retrospective descriptive analysis.
Telemedicine and e-Health. 17(1):14-8 1 Jan 2011.
- Martin KL. “Other systemic diseases.” Chapter 11.6 in: Schachner and Hansen’s Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology, 5th ed. Final publication in process.
- Gloss CC, Grisham E, Rosenfeld A, Martin KL. “Project ECHO: Improving rural dermatology through digital primary care education.” Chapter 15 in Dermatology in Rural Settings: Organizational, Clinical, and Socioeconomic Perspectives. Springer. 2022.
- Martin KL, Kruse L, Sindle A, Sink J. “Integumentary Disorders.” Chapter 21 in Primary Care Pediatrics for Nurse Practitioners. Springer. 2022.
- Long KA, Martin KL. “Dermatologic Diseases of the neonate.” Chapter 666 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Abidi NY, Martin KL. “Cutaneous defects.” Chapter 667 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Abidi NY, Martin KL. “Ectodermal dysplasias.” Chapter 668 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Martin KL. “Vascular disorders.” Chapter 669 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- McClean ME, Martin KL. “Cutaneous nevi.” Chapter 670 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Martin KL, Ken KM. “Disorders of the sweat glands.” Chapter 681 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Ken KM, Martin KL. “Disorders of the hair.” Chapter 682 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Ken KM, Martin KL. “Disorders of the nails.” Chapter 683 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.
- Hirner JP, Martin KL. “Tumors of the skin.” Chapter 690 in: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 21st ed. Elsevier. 2020.