Dr. Sohl is a pediatrician with extensive experience in medical diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of children with a concern of autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders. She is an expert in quality and process improvement for comprehensive autism diagnostic and longitudinal services.
Dr. Sohl is the site principal investigator for the Autism Intervention Research for Physical Health/Autism Treatment Network (AIRP/ATN) and serves in national leadership roles with each program. She is also founder of ECHO Autism, an innovative framework to increase community capacity to care for children with autism and other developmental/behavioral concerns. ECHO Autism is considered a national model for expanding autism diagnosis and treatment to underserved and rural populations. Her team has established partnerships with health care entities in more than 15 states and five countries.
Dr. Sohl’s research focuses on systems change to improve health care and services for individuals with autism and also focuses on understanding underlying medical conditions in individuals with autism.
Education & Training
University of Missouri School of Medicine
- University of Missouri Health Care
- University of Missouri Health Care
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
205 Portland Street
Columbia, MO 65211
Principal Investigator (in kind), Community Pediatrics Partnerships for Missouri Child Health and Well-Being. Funding Agency: American Academy of Pediatrics/Missouri Foundation for Health (10/1/15-3/31/18). Total Award: $60,000 Principal Investigator (28% FTE), ECHO Autism, Signature Research 10 site replication. Funding Agency: Autism Intervention Research Network for Physical Health,HRSA (9/1/15 – 8/31/20). Total Award: $1,400,000. Principal Investigator (5% FTE), Autism Intervention Research Network for Physical Health. Funding Agency: Autism Speaks/HRSA (9/1/15 – 8/31/20). Total Award: $150,000. Principal Investigator (15% FTE), Autism Treatment Network: Cooperative Multi-Center Program for Comprehensive Care and Treatment of Autism. Funding Agency: Autism Speaks (1/4/2013-8/31/2017). Total Award: $420,000. Principle Investigator (5% FTE), Comprehensive Medical Care for Children and Adults with Autism. Funding Agency: Missouri Department of Mental Health (7/1/94-6/30/17). Total Award: 215,442. Assumed PI role 7/1/2011 Principal Investigator(5% FTE), ECHO Autism Pilot Funding Agency: Autism Intervention Research Network for Physical Health, HRSA (1/1/15 – 8/31/15). Total Award: $25,000. Principal Investigator (in kind), ECHO Autism Pilot. Funding Agency: Sears Family Trust (1/1/15-3/1/15). Total Award: $10,000. Principal Investigator (10% FTE), ECHO Autism Pilot. Funding Agency: Comprehensive Health Management, Inc (12/1/14-6/30/16). Total Award: $90,000. Medical Director/Core Faculty, Training in Interdisciplinary Partnerships and Services (TIPS) for Kids training grant, a Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (LEND) program, (PI, Tracy Stroud; PI, Kay Conklin; PI, Micah Mazurek). Funding Agency: Health Resources and Services Administration Award #6 T73 MC00022 (7/1/11-6/30/21). Total Award: $628,027. Joined grant July 2014
- Autism, telehealth/telementoring
- Rural health care delivery
- Health disparities/inequalities
- Family-centered care
Areas of Expertise
- quality improvement
- patient safety
- child health advocacy
- family-centered care
- health disparities across cultures
Awards & Honors
- 2011 American Academy of Pediatrics Special Achievement Award
- 2010 Tiger Honor Roll of Teaching
- 2006 Service Excellence Monthly Hero Award April, 2006, University of Missouri Health Care recognition for service excellence, nominated by patient’s family
- 2005 Excellence in Neurology, Medical student award from American Academy of Neurology for outstanding achievement in neurology
- 2004 Integrated Resident (Competitive application process to earn early acceptance into University of Missouri Residency)
- 1997 Conley Scholar Award (Competitive honor for high school seniors to receive early medical school acceptance)
- Beversdorf DQ, Wang P, Barnes G, Weisskopf M, Hardan A, Hu V, Mazurek MO, Talebedizah Z, Goldberg W, Jones KL, Campbell DB, Feliciano P, Spence S, Muller RA, Brown RMA, Kanne SM, Sohl K, Smith DG, London E, Bauman ML, Amaral DG. (2016). Phenotyping, etiological factors, and biomarkers: toward precision medicine in autism spectrum disorder. J Dev Behav Pediatr: Oct 2016; 37 (8): 659–673
- Mazurek MO, Engelhardt CR, Hilgard J, Sohl K. Bedtime Electronic Media Use and Sleep in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Dev Behav Pediatr. September 2016. 37(7):525-531
- Mazurek, M.O., Brown, R., Curran, A. & Sohl, K. ECHO Autism: A new model for training primary care providers in best-practice care for children with autism. Clinical Pediatrics 2016 May; 1-10.
- Mazurek, M.O. & Sohl, K. Sleep and behavioral problems in children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 46(6), 1906-1915
- Javarao, M., Sohl, K., Tanaka, T. Chiari Malformation I and Autism Spectrum Disorder: An Underrecogized Coexistence. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2015 Jan; 15(1): 96-100
- Engelhardt, C., Mazurek, M.O. and Sohl, K. Media Use and Sleep Among Boys With Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, or Typical Development. PEDIATRICS Volume 132, Number 6, December 2013
- 2014 Understanding Autism. Pediatric Update: Washington University Professionally produced audio session and transcript for CME
- G.P. Cejas, E. Anbalagan, G. Singh, R. Brown, K. Sohl. Sleep Disturbance and Aggression in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: An Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network Analysis. University of Missouri Health Sciences Research Day. Columbia, Missouri. November 2014.
- K.S. Kwedar, C.R. Engelhardt, N.C. Cheak-Zamora, M.O. Mazurek, K.Sohl. Bridging the Gap: Primary Care Physician Self-Efficacy in Assessing and Treating Sleep Problems in Children with ASD. University of Missouri Health Sciences Research Day. Columbia, Missouri. November 2014.