Dr. Smith is a shoulder and elbow fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon in mid-Missouri. He grew up in Omaha, Neb., but chose the University of Missouri for residency and his career because of close ties to the area. His mother grew up in Boonville, and he still has family living there.
After his orthopaedic residency, he completed a 1-year shoulder and elbow fellowship at the prestigious Rothman Institute at Jefferson Health in Philadelphia.
Dr. Smith is an associate professor of clinical orthopaedic surgery and the director of outpatient clinics at the Missouri Orthopaedic Institute. He is one of a handful of surgeons in Missouri elected to the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons society and currently serves as the vice president of the Missouri Shoulder and Elbow Society. He enjoys professional activities outside of the university including teaching other surgeons from around the country and designing shoulder and elbow implants and devices for two major orthopaedic device manufacturers.
Education & Training
Creighton University School of Medicine
- University of Missouri School of Medicine GME
- University of Missouri at Columbia
Ortho/Shoulder and Elbow
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
- Arthrex Inc
- Wright Medical/ Tornier
- Universal Research Solutions
- Ignite Orthopedics
- DePuy Orthopedics Inc
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
- Rotator cuff repair, reconstruction and augmentation
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty
- Cartilage transplantation
Areas of Expertise
- Shoulder and Elbow surgery, including joint, ligament and tendon reconstruction from athletic injuries, dislocations, or degeneration.
- Total shoulder replacement surgery including reverse total shoulder as well as advanced arthroscopic (scope) reconstruction and repair
Awards & Honors
- Fellow: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Fellow: American Orthopedic Association
- Associate Member: American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Vice President: Missouri Shoulder and Elbow Society
- Mid American Orthopedic Association
- Mid Central States Orthopedic Society
- Missouri State Orthopedic Association
- Certified Patient Safety Officer
- Harvard Leadership Development In Academic Medicine 2015
- Smith MJ, Loftis CM, Skelley NW. Eccentric reaming for B2 glenoids: History, preoperative planning, surgical technique, and outcome. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty, August 2019. doi.org/10.1177/2471549219870348
- Skelley NW, Smith MJ, Ma R, Cook JL. Three-dimensional printing technology in orthopaedics. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2019. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-18-00746
- Smith MJ, Pfeiffer FM, Cook CR, Kuroki K, Cook JL. “Rotator cuff healing using demineralized cancellous bone matrix sponge interposition compared to standard repair in a preclinical canine model.” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2018 Mar;36(3):906-912.
- Oladeji LO, Stannard JP, Cook CR, Kfuri M, Crist BD, Smith MJ, Cook JL. “Effects of autogenous bone marrow aspirate concentrate on radiographic integration of femoral condylar osteochondral allografts.” American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2017 Oct;45(12):2797-2803.
- Smith MJ, Choma TJ. “Patient satisfaction in musculoskeletal medicine.” Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, 2017 Jun;10(2):207-211.
- Capito NM, Cook JL, Yahuaca B, Capito MD, Sherman SL, Smith MJ. “Safety and efficacy of hyperosmolar irrigation solution in shoulder arthroscopy.” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2017 May;26(5):745-751.
- Capito NM, Owens BD, Sherman SL, Smith MJ. “Osteochondral allografts in shoulder surgical procedures.” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews, 2016 Nov;4(11):1-7.
- Churchill RS, Chuinard C, Wiater JM, Friedman R, Freehill M, Jacobson S, Spencer E Jr, Holloway GB, Wittstein J, Lassiter T, Smith MJ, Blaine T, Nicholson GP. “Clinical and radiographic outcomes of the Simpliciti canal-sparing shoulder arthroplasty system: a prospective two-year multicenter study.” J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2016 Apr;98(7):552-560.
- Smith MJ, Crist BC, Reiter M, Schultz L, Choma TJ. “Improving patient satisfaction through computer-based questionnaires.” Orthopedics, 2016;39(1):e31-e35.
- Capito N, Smith MJ, Stoker AM, Werner NC, Cook JL. “Comparison of hyperosmolar irrigation to standard solution in a canine shoulder arthroscopy model.” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2015 Aug;24(8):1243-1248.
- Ma R, Smith PA, Smith MJ, Sherman SL, Flood D, Li X. “Managing and Recognizing Complications after Treatment of Acromioclavicular Joint Repair and Reconstruction.” Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med, 2015 Mar;8(1):75-82.
- Della Rocca GJ, Dunbar RP, Burgess AR, Smith MJ. “The decade of road safety 2011-2020: from evidence to action.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 2014 June;28:S18-S21.
- Pfeiffer F, Smith MJ, Kuroki K, Cook JL. “Histologic and biomechanical analysis of the two smallest available glenoid anchors for use in labral repairs.” Journal Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2014 Aug;23(8):1156-1161.
- Paisley KC, Kraeutler MJ, Lazarus MD, Ramsey ML, Williams GR, Smith MJ. “Relationship of scapular neck length to scapular notching after reverse total shoulder arthroplasty by use of plain radiographs.” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2014 Jun;23(6):882-887.