Education & Training
Osmania Medical College
- Ntr University Of Health Sciences
- Henry Ford Hospital
- Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center - Concourse Division
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2020.
- Intuitive Medical
- UROLOGIC SPECIALISTS LLC
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Cancer of the prostate, kidney, testes and bladder, clinical outcomes and database studies.
Areas of Expertise
- Adrenal surgery
- Bladder cancer
- Bladder disease
- Da Vinci robotic surgery
- Elevated PSA
- Erectile dysfunction
- Genitourinary cancer
- Genitourinary surgery
- Kidney stones
- Prostate cancer
- Renal cancer
- Testicular cancer
Awards & Honors
- 2002 Best Research Fellow Award for the year 2003-2004. Laparoscopic Research Fellow, Colorectal surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
- 1999 Awarded the University Gold Medal in General Surgery
- 1995 Ranked 1st in India in the All India postgraduate entrance examination. (PGIMER)
- 1995 Ranked 4th in India in the All India postgraduate entrance examination of the All India institution of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- 1995 Ranked 7th in the Andhra Pradesh State postgraduate entrance examination
- 1992 First in the state of Andhra Pradesh in the annual regional Psychiatric quiz
- 1992 First in the annual regional Pediatric quiz.
- 1991 Distinction in pharmacology for securing one of the top three scores in the class.
- 1988 Ranked 31st out of 30000 students taking the State entrance examination for selection into medical school.
- 1986 Awarded National merit scholarship for achieving honors and top percentiles at the high school and graduate school level examinations
- 1986 Awarded a certificate of merit in the National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)
- 1985 Awarded a certificate of proficiency in mathematics in the Mathematics Olympiad competition conducted for high schools in the country
- Research Awards
- 2014 Survival outcome in men undergoing salvage prostatectomy after radiation for adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Huynh D, Henderson A, Pokala, N. 2nd Prize in the resident research presentation at SCS-AUA 2014.
- 2011 Comparative Outcome following different treatment modalities for Stage T2 – muscle invasive bladder cancer in Octogenarians. N Pokala, P Sharma, F Penna, Agarwal P, Kiran RP, De S, Kheterpal E, Peabody J, and Menon M.
- Honorable mention- Michigan urological Society meeting, May 2011.
- 2010 Article “Long-term outcomes after local excision and radical surgery for anal melanoma data from a population database, Dis Colon Rectum, 2010 April” selected to the Faculty of 1000 Medicine (www.f1000medicine.com)
- 2010 Kheterpal E, Kaul S, Sammon J, Akshay Bhandari A, Patil N, Pokala N, Rogers C. Heminephrectomy in Horseshoe Kidney: Robotic Assistance to Optimize Vascular Control & Renorrhaphy. Co-author in best video presentation at the European Robotic Urology Symposium, (ERUS) Bordeaux, France
- 2009 Naveen Pokala, Mani Menon. Longterm outcome following no definitive therapy, radiation and surgery for locoregional prostate cancer in patients less than 50 years of age – Analysis of 6906 patients. Top ten research paper in the annual resident research Forum, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit.
- 2009 Kheterpal E, Patel MN, Laungani RG, Pokala N, Menon M, Elder JS. Robotic ureteral mitrofanoff: a minimally invasive alternative to traditional appendicovesicostomy. Best video presentation at the European Robotic urology symposium (ERUS) Vienna.
- 2007 Kiran RP, Pokala N, Dudrick S. Influence of number of lymph nodes retrieved at colectomy for colon cancer survival. Poster of Distinction. Southwestern Surgical society.
- 2007 Pokala N, Kiran PR, Shah AK, Parithivel V. Treatment patterns and outcome following surgery for appendicular carcinoma in octogenarians-A 5-year population based study. Poster of distinction. Southwestern Surgical congress at Palm Springs, California
- 2006 Pokala N, Sadhashivam S, Ehrlich F, Parithivel V. Is Laparoscopic surgery applicable in complicated appendicitis. A comparative study with open appendectomy in a community hospital setting. First Prize Cash Award for Best Research at the annual resident research forum. Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center
- Franklin A, Pokala N, et al. Is the robotic approach feasible for repair of iatrogenic injuries of the lower ureter? World J Urol. 2016. In Press
- Pokala N, Huynh DL, Henderson AA, Johans C. Survival Outcomes in Men Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy After Primary Radiation Treatment for Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2015 Dec 17. pii:S1558-7673(15)00340-7. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2015.12.010. [Epub ahead of print]PubMed PMID: 26774347.
- Pokala N, Trulson JJ, Islam M. Long-term outcome following radicalprostatectomy for Gleason 8-10 prostatic adenocarcinoma. World J Urol. 2014 Feb 9.
- Comparative survival following different treatment modalities for stage T2 bladder cancer in octogenarians. Trulson JJ, Sharma P, Haden T, Kheterpal E, Pokala N. World J Urol. 2013