Education & Training
Medical College Baroda
- University College of Medical Sciences & Guru Teg
Orthopedic Spine Surgery
- Boston University Medical Center
- University of Louisville School of Medicine
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Awards & Honors
- Cervical Spine Research Society (CSRS) 2021- Resident/Fellow Research Award 2021
- Neurosurgical Research & Education Foundation (NREF) 2020-21– Clinical Fellowship Grant
- North American Spine Society (NASS) 2018- Best Paper: Value Award
- International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine (ISSLS) 2018- Young Investigator Award
- Lumbar Spine Research Society (LSRS) 2017- Fellow Research Award
- Jain N, Sharma M, Wang D, Ugiliweneza B, Drazin D, Boakye M. Simulated bundled payments for four common surgical approaches to treat degenerative cervical myelopathy: a consideration to break the clinical equipoise. J Neurosurg Spine. 2022 Jan 14:1-8.
- Jain N, Sharma M, Wang D, Ugiliweneza B, Drazin D, Boakye M. The Phenotypes of Anxiety and Depression: Analysis of Combined Comorbidity and Treatment in Patients Undergoing Spinal Fusion. Neurosurgery. 2022 Apr 6.
- Jain N, Sharma M, Wang D, Ugiliweneza B, Drazin D, Boakye M. Burden of preoperative opioid use and its impact on healthcare utilization after primary single level lumbar discectomy. Spine J. 2021 Oct;21(10):1700-1710.
- Jain N, Phillips FM, Malik AT, Khan SN. Preoperative Opioid Weaning Before Major Spinal Fusion: Simulated Data, Real-World Insights. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2021 Jan 15;46(2):80-86.
- Jain N, Labaran L, Phillips FM, Khan SN, Jain A, Kebaish, KM, Hassanzadeh, H. Prevalence of Osteoporosis Treatment and Its Effect on Post-operative Complications, Revision Surgery and Costs After Multi-level Spinal Fusion. Global Spine J. 2020 Dec 17:2192568220976560.
- Jain N, Brock JL, Malik AT, Phillips FM, Khan SN. Prediction of Complications, Readmission, and Revision Surgery Based on Duration of Preoperative Opioid Use: Analysis of Major Joint Replacement and Lumbar Fusion. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Mar 6;101(5):384-391.
- Jain N, Brock JL, Phillips FM, Weaver T, Khan SN. 30-Day Emergency Department Visits After Primary Lumbar Fusion: Incidence, Causes, Risk Factors, and Costs. Clin Spine Surg. 2019 Apr;32(3):113-119.
- Jain N, Crouser N, Yu E. Lumbar Intervertebral Disc Herniation Masquerading as an Epidural Hematoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. JBJS Case Connect. 2018 Jul-Sep;8(3):e59.
- Jain N, Malik AT, Phillips FM, Khan SN, Yu E. Degenerative Adult Cervical Kyphosis With Secondary Diagnosis Codes Are Associated With Higher Cost and Complications After Spinal Fusion: A Medicare Database Study. Int J Spine Surg. 2021;15(1):26-36. Published 2021 Feb 26.
- Jain N, Xie J, Phillips FM, Khan SN, Yu E. Early Patterns of Healthcare Utilization After Primary Lumbar Decompression/Discectomy Predicts Revision Surgery at Two Years. Clin Spine Surg. (Under Review).
- Jain N, Brock JL, Phillips FM, Weaver T, Khan SN. Chronic preoperative opioid use is a risk factor for increased complications, resource use, and costs after cervical fusion. Spine J. 2018 Nov;18(11):1989-1998.
- Jain N, Himed K, Toth JM, Briley KC, Phillips FM, Khan SN. Opioids delay healing of spinal fusion: a rabbit posterolateral lumbar fusion model. Spine J. 2018 Sep;18(9):1659-1668.
- Jain N, Phillips FM, Weaver T, Khan SN. Preoperative Chronic Opioid Therapy: A Risk Factor for Complications, Readmission, Continued Opioid Use and Increased Costs After One- and Two-Level Posterior Lumbar Fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018 Oct 1;43(19):1331-1338.
- Jain N, Phillips FM, Khan SN. Distribution and Determinants of 90-Day Payments for Multilevel Posterior Lumbar Fusion: A Medicare Analysis. Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Apr;31(3):E197-E203.
- Jain N, Phillips FM, Khan SN. Ninety-Day Reimbursements for Primary Single-Level Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion From Commercial and Medicare Data. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018 Feb 1;43(3):193-200.
- Jain N, Phillips FM, Shimer AL, Khan SN. Surgeon Reimbursement Relative to Hospital Payments for Spinal Fusion: Trends From 10-year Medicare Analysis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018 May 15;43(10):720-731.
- Jain N, Yu E. Intraoperative Radiographic Technique for Visualization of Bicortical or Tricortical Anteromedial Sacral Screw Placement. Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Apr;31(3):108-111.
- Jain N, Virk SS, Phillips FM, Yu E, Khan SN. A 90-day Bundled Payment for Primary Single-level Lumbar Discectomy/Decompression: What Does "Big Data" Say? Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Apr;31(3):120-126.
- Jain N and Khan SN. Cellular Bone Allografts in Spinal Fusion: Where are we now? Vertebral Columns. ISASS (Spring 2017) (Available at: https://www.isass.org/news/vertebral-columns-spring-2017/).
- Jain N, Saini NS, Kumar S, Rajagopalan M, Chakraborti KL, Jain AK. Correlation of diffusion tensor imaging parameters with neural status in Pott's spine. SICOT J. 2016 Apr 29;2:21.
- Sharma M, Jain N, Wang D, Ugiliweneza B, Boakye M, Drazin D. Impact of age on mortality and complications in patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis spine fractures. J Clin Neurosci. 2021 Dec 17;95:188-197. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2021.11.035. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34929644.
- Brock JL, Jain N, Phillips FM, Malik AT, Khan SN. Postoperative opioid cessation rates based on preoperative opioid use: Analysis of common orthopaedic procedures. Bone Joint J. 2019 Dec;101-B(12):1570-1577.
- Choo S, Jain N, Malik AT, Gennell T, Yu E. The impact of body mass index on severity of cervical spine fracture: A retrospective cohort study. J Craniovert Jun Spine 2019;10:215-9
- Malik AT, Jain N, Scharschmidt TJ, Glassman AH, Khan SN. Primary hip arthroscopy and conversion to total hip arthroplasty: trends and survival analysis in the Medicare population. Hip Int. 2022 Mar;32(2):239-245.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Frantz TL, Quatman CE, Phieffer LS, Ly TV, Khan SN. Discharge to inpatient care facilities following hip fracture surgery: incidence, risk factors, and 30-day post-discharge outcomes. Hip Int. 2020 Jun 14:1120700020920814. doi: 10.1177/1120700020920814. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32538154.
- McMains MC, Jain N, Malik AT, Cerier E, Litsky AS, Yu E. A Biomechanical Analysis of Lateral Interbody Construct and Supplemental Fixation in Adjacent Segment Disease of The Lumbar Spine. World Neurosurg. 2019 May 3.
- Labaran L, Jain N, Puvanesarajah V, Jain A, Buchholz AL, Hassanzadeh H. A Retrospective Database Review of the Indications, Complications, and Incidence of Subsequent Spine Surgery in 12,297 Spinal Cord Stimulator Patients. Neuromodulation. 2019 Apr 22.
- Cerier E, Jain N, Lenobel S, Niedermeier SR, Stammen K, Yu E. Smoking is Associated With 1-year Suboptimal Patient-reported Outcomes After 2-level Anterior Cervical Fusion. Clin Spine Surg. 2019 Jan 2.
- Adapa N, Jain N, Capek A, Chandawarkar R, Khan SN, Gussous YM, Yu E. Prophylactic muscle flap reconstruction after complex spine surgery for degenerative disease: case series and institutional protocol. J Spine Surg. 2018 Sep;4(3):560-567.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Kim J, Khan SN, Yu E. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is an independent predictor for 30-day readmissions following 1- to 2-level posterior lumbar fusions. J Spine Surg. 2018 Sep;4(3):553-559.
- Zaki O, Jain N, Yu E, Khan SN. 30- and 90-day Unplanned Readmission Rates, Causes, and Risk Factors after Cervical Fusion: A Single Institution Analysis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018 Nov 20.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. Is There a "Sex Effect" in 30-Day Outcomes After Elective Posterior Lumbar Fusions? World Neurosurg. 2018 Dec;120:e428-e433.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Kim J, Yu E, Khan SN. The Impact of Metabolic Syndrome on 30-Day Outcomes Following Elective Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusions. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019 Mar 1;44(5):E282-E287.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. Discharge to skilled-care or rehabilitation following elective anterior cervical discectomy and fusion increases the risk of 30-day re-admissions and post-discharge complications. J Spine Surg. 2018 Jun;4(2):264-273.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Kim J, Yu E, Khan SN. Continued Inpatient Care After Elective 1- to 2-level Posterior Lumbar Fusions Increases 30-day Postdischarge Readmissions and Complications. Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Nov;31(9):E453-E459.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Scharschmidt TJ, Mayerson JL, Khan SN. Factors associated with post-operative sepsis following surgery for spinal tumors: An analysis of the ACS-NSQIP database. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018 Sep;172:1-7.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Scharschmidt TJ, Li M, Glassman AH, Khan SN. Does Surgeon Volume Affect Outcomes Following Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty? A Systematic Review. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Oct;33(10):3329-3342.
- Kohls MR, Jain N, Khan SN. What are the Rates, Reasons, and Risk Factors of 90-day Hospital Readmission After Lumbar Discectomy?: An Institutional Experience. Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Oct;31(8):E375-E380.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Khan SN. The Top 50 Most-Cited Articles on Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. World Neurosurg. 2018 Aug;116:e1168-e1180.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Kim J, Khan SN, Yu E. Sexual activity after spine surgery: a systematic review. Eur Spine J. 2018 Oct;27(10):2395-2426.
- Sharma M, John K, Dietz N, Jain N, Madrigal FC, Wang D, Ugiliweneza B, Drazin D, Boakye M. Impact of preoperative treatment of osteoporosis on re-operations, complications and health care utilization in patients undergoing thoraco-lumbar spine fusions. A 5-year national database analysis. J Clin Neurosci. 2021 Nov;93:122-129. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2021.09.024. Epub 2021 Sep 17. PMID: 34656235.
- Crouser N, Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. Discharge to Inpatient Care Facility After Vertebroplasty/Kyphoplasty: Incidence, Risk Factors, and Postdischarge Outcomes. World Neurosurg. 2018 Oct;118:e483-e488.
- Labaran L, Aryee JNA, Bell J, Jain N, Puvanesarajah V, Raad M, Jain A, Carmouche J, Hassanzadeh H. Opioids and Spinal Cord Stimulators: Pre- and Postoperative Opioid Use Patterns and Predictors of Prolonged Postoperative Opioid Use. Neurospine. 2020 Mar;17(1):246-253.
- Labaran L, Bell J, Puvanesarajah V, Jain N, Aryee JN, Raad M, Jain A, Carmouche J, Hassanzadeh H. Demographic Trends in Paddle Lead Spinal Cord Stimulator Placement: Private Insurance and Medicare Beneficiaries. Neurospine. 2020 Feb 1.
- Malik AT, Quatman CE, Phieffer LS, Ly TV, Jain N, Khan SN. Transfer status in geriatric hip fracture surgery - An independent risk factor associated with 30-day mortality, re-operations and complications. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019 Oct;10(Suppl 1):S65-S70.
- Samade R, Malik AT, Jain N, Scharschmidt TJ, Yu E. Integrated treatment of a lumbar vertebral hemangioma with spinal stenosis and radiculopathy: A case report and a review of the literature. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2019;10(4):259‐262.
- Malik AT, Bishop JY, Neviaser A, Jain N, Khan SN. What are the costs of glenohumeral osteoarthritis in the year prior to a total shoulder arthroplasty (TSA)? Phys Sportsmed. 2019 Jun 19.
- Ryu R, Campbell A, Jain N, Stammen K, Yu E. Development of a Spine Surgical Skills and Written Assessment for Orthopaedic Surgery Residents. J Surg Educ. 2019 Jul - Aug;76(4):1094-1100.
- Malik AT, Bishop JY, Neviaser AS, Beals CT, Jain N, Khan SN. Shoulder Arthroplasty for a Fracture Is Not the Same as Shoulder Arthroplasty for Osteoarthritis: Implications for a Bundled Payment Model. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 Apr 11.
- Malik AT, Scharschmidt TJ, Li M, Jain N, Khan SN. Are Joint Surgeons Being Adequately Compensated for Single-Component versus Double-Component Revision TKA? An Analysis of Relative Value Units. J Knee Surg. 2019 Mar 12.
- Drain JP, Virk SS, Jain N, Yu E. Dropped Head Syndrome: A Systematic Review. Clin Spine Surg. 2019 Mar 5.
- Adkins ZB, Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. Does Hospital Volume Affect Outcomes in Spine Surgeries? A Systematic Review. Clin Spine Surg. 2019 Feb 11.
- Malik AT, Quatman CE, Phieffer LS, Jain N, Khan SN, Ly TV. 30-day adverse events, length of stay and re-admissions following surgical management of pelvic/acetabular fractures. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2019 Feb 12. Available Online. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2019.02.010
- Weaver DJ, Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. The Modified 5-Item Frailty Index: A Concise and Useful Tool for Assessing the Impact of Frailty on Postoperative Morbidity Following Elective Posterior Lumbar Fusions. World Neurosurg. 2019 Jan 11.
- Choo S, Malik AT, Jain N, Yu E, Kim J, Khan SN. 30-day adverse outcomes, re-admissions and mortality following vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018 Nov;174:129-133.
- Malik AT, Barlow JD, Jain N, Khan SN. Incidence, risk factors, and clinical impact of non-home discharge following surgical management of proximal humerus fractures. Shoulder & Elbow. 2018 Nov 12. https://doi.org/10.1177/1758573218809505
- Sud S, Ali M, Stammen K, Yu E, Jain N, Khan SN. Cervical fracture patterns associated with vertebral artery injuries. Current Orthopaedic Practice 2017 Jan/Feb;28(1):48-51.
- Jain N, Shimer AL, Su B, Vaccaro A. Chapter 32: Artificial Disc Replacement. Spine Secrets Plus 3e, 2021, Elsevier.
- Gussous YM, Beckerman D, Jain N, Berven S. Spinal infections and Pseudoarthrosis. Volume 10 Spinal Infection. AO Spine Masters Series. Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Gussous YM, Jain N, Khan SN. Posterior Based Lumbar Interbody Fusion Devices: Static and Expandable Technology. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2018-12-01, Volume 30, Issue 4, Pages 203-206.
- Malik AT, Jain N, Kim J, Khan SN. Cervical Spine Injuries. Video Atlas of Spine Surgery, 2020, Thieme.