Education & Training
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Washington University School of Medicine
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
Dr. Govindarajan’s research surrounds the development of serological and electrophysiological biomarkers that can be used to monitor therapeutic response in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). He is interested in developing novel therapies and repurposing orphan drugs for treatment ALS. In addition, Dr. Govindarajan's research incorporates the design and development of newer models of clinical trials for ALS which are patient-centered and can provide meaningful answers applied in clinical practice. Dr. Govindarajan founded and serves as the medical director of the ALS Association Center of Excellence clinic at MU Health Care and serves on committees of the northeast ALS research consortium and western ALS research consortium.
- Serological and electrophysiological biomarkers that can be used to monitor therapeutic response in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Development of novel therapies and repurposing orphan drugs for treatment ALS
- Design and development of newer models of clinical trials for ALS which are patient-centered
Areas of Expertise
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Parkinson's disease
Awards & Honors
- 2019: AAN Patient Safety award
- 2018: AANEM President's Dinner invitee
- 2018: AANEM Advocacy award
- 2018: Kaiser Community Service award
- 2018: Muscular Dystrophy Association travel scholarship
- 2018: AAN Annual Report Press Mention
- 2018: Washington University School of Medicine Alumni Association recognition
- 2017: AAN Patient Safety award
- 2018: Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy travel scholarship
- 2018: Peripheral Nerve Society scholarship
- 2017: ACP Young Achiever recognition
- 2016: ANA Travel award
- 2016: Dean's research award
- 2016: Translational and Clinical Research Course scholarship
Grants and Scholarships
Principal Investigator: 2018-2021 Raghav Govindarajan (site PI). Expanded Access Protocol of Idebenone in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
Sub Investigator: 2019-2022 Comprehensive Analysis of Neuroinflammatory Biomarkers in Acute Neurotrauma Patients in US Army Sponsor: LWI (Leonard wood Institute).
Principal Investigator: 2019-2021 Raghav Govindarajan (site PI). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter Phase 3 trial to evaluate the efficacy, safety and tolerability of ARGX-113 in patients with myasthenia gravis having generalized muscle weakness.
Principal Investigator: 2018-2021 Raghav Govindarajan (site PI). A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Effect of Efgartigimod AChR Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis Patients.
Principal Investigator: 2018-2021 Raghav Govindarajan (site PI). Long Term Safety Study of Amifampridine Phosphate in Patients with MuSK Antibody Positive and AChR Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis Patients.
Principal Investigator: 2018-2020 Raghav Govindarajan (site PI). A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Effect of Amifampridine Phosphate in Patients with MuSK Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis, and a Sample of AChR Antibody Positive Myasthenia Gravis Patients.
Principal Investigator: TAME-Phase IIB —Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Memantine Therapy in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (TAME) Sponsor: University of Kansas Medical School (2018-2020).
Principal Investigator: CURE SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy-SMA) Multicenter Cure SMA Clinical Data Registry ($60,000.00, 2018-2020) Sponsor: Cure SMA.
Principal Investigator: BHV0223-401 BHV-0223 Expanded Access Protocol in Patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Sponsor: Biohaven Pharmaceuticals (2018-FDA approval).
Sub Investigator: AbbVie M15-741-Phase III: Open-label, Single-Arm Study to Evaluate Safety and Tolerability of 24-Hour Daily Exposure to ABBV-95 I by Continuous Subcutaneous Infusion Sponsor: AbbVie Inc.
Principle Investigator: AVXS-l0l-RG-001. A Prospective, Long Term Registry of Patients with a Diagnosis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Sponsor: AveXis, Inc.
Principal Investigator: A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Ravulizumab in Complement-Inhibitor-Naïve Adult Patients With Generalized Myasthenia Gravis.
Principal Investigator: An Open-Label, Multicenter Study To Evaluate The Efficacy, Safety, Pharmacokinetics, And Pharmacodynamics Of Eculuzimab In Pediatric Patients with Generalized Myasthenia Gravis.
Principal Investigator: Radicava® (Edaravone) Biomarker Study in Participants with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.
Sub- Investigator: PD-DUAL Study: A Retrospective chat review.
2018-2015 Dinah Sah, Joan Coates, Raghav Govindarajan (Co-I). AAV gene therapy targeting SOD1 for the treatment of ALS. Grant amount: $500,000, Funding organization: ALS Association Effort: 10%.
2016-2018 Raghav Govindarajan (Co-PI), Natalie Kukulka, Zaheer Asgar. Inflammatory biomarkers in predicting onset of dementia in Parkinson’s disease and ALS. Grant amount: $4000. Funding organization: American Academy of Neurology.
2017-2018 Raghav Govindarajan (Co-PI), Karla Washington, Klaudia Kukulka, David Mehr. Integrating palliative care into the multidisciplinary ALS clinic. Grant amount: $10000. Funding organization: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute.
2017-2019 Raghav Govindarajan (PI). MDA Care Center Grant to establish University of Missouri MDA Care Center. Grant amount: $15000. Funding organization: Muscular Dystrophy Association.
2016-2018 Raghav Govindarajan (PI). ALS Association Grant to establish University of Missouri ALSA Recognized Center. Grant amount: $10000 yearly. Funding organization: ALS Association
- 2019: AMWA mentorship award
- 2017: American Medical Association Inspirational award
- 2017: Investiture Marshal at commencement
- 2017: AB Baker teaching award
- 2017: AMWA mentorship award
- 2017: AAN Clerkship Director Teaching award
- 2016: AMSA local chapter award
- 2016: Speaker White Coat Ceremony
- 2016: Leonard Tow Humanism award
- 2016: Outstanding resident teacher award
- 2016: Missouri Student’s Association Best Teacher award
- 2016: Featured in Shadow Me series by AMA wire
- 2016: Investiture Marshal at commencement
- 2016: Outstanding Clinical Faculty Educator Award
- 2016: National Golden apple award presented by AMSA
- 2016: Golden Apple award presented by AMSA nominated by medical students
Patient/Peer Recognition Award
- 2018: Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation Recognized Caregiver
- 2017: Columbia Tribune -Columbia’s Favorite Doctor
- 2016: National Compassionate Caregiver of the year honor roll
- 2016: Team member Daisy award
- 2016, 2015: National Doctor’s day recognition
Leadership Awards and Honor Societies
- 2019: Fellow of American Neurological Association
- 2019: Fellow of American College of Physicians
- 2018: Chancellor's Excellence award, University of Missouri
- 2018: American Medical Association Inspirational Physician award
- 2018: Fellow of American College of Physicians
- 2018: Fellow of Royal Society of Biology
- 2018: Fellow of Royal Society of Public Health
- 2017: Elected member of Central Society for Clinical and Translational Research
- 2017: Elected member Academy of Medical Educators
- 2017: Elected member American Osler Society
- 2017: Elected member of AMA-Academic physician section
- 2016: Fellow College of Physicians of Philadelphia
- 2016: Alpha Omega Alpha
American Academy of Neurology
- 2019-2021 Chair, Neuromuscular Section group
- 2018- Rowland Circle, American Brain Foundation
- 2017-2019 Teleneurology Workgroup co-chair
- 2017- Neuro Learn® Faculty -online continuing medical education platform
- 2017- Resident Lecture Series-Business of Medicine Education Webinar Faculty
- 2017 PALF advisor
- 2017-2021 Undergraduate Education Subcommittee (UES)
- 2017 UES Curriculum Workgroup
- 2017 SIGN Chapter Toolkit Workgroup
- 2017 AAN Research Methodology Topic Work Group
- 2016 Practice, Policy and Ethics Topic Work Group
- 2017, 2016 AAN Annual Meeting Faculty
- 2015-2019 Payment Policy Subcommittee
- Kaur H, Giler G, Kumar K, Yelum A, Kukuklka K, Dubova, L, Thangavel R, Selvakuma PG, Kempuraj K, Ahmed EJ, Raikwar SP, Zaheer A, Govindarajan R, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Enhanced Expression of Glia Maturation Factor in the Substantia Nigra of Parkinson’s Disease Dementia. Neurochemical Research.
- Kukulka K. Washington K, Govindarajan R, Mehr D. Stakeholder Perspectives on the Biopsychosocial and Spiritual Realities of Living with ALS: Implications for Palliative Care Teams. Accepted American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Safideh J, Govindarajan Rxx, Gelb D, Soni M, Core curriculum guidelines for a required clinical neurology experience, accepted in Neurology journal.
- Kempuraj D, Selvakumar GP, Govindarajan R, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Cross-talk Between Glia, Neurons and Mast Cells in Neuroinflammation Associated with Parkinson's Disease. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2018 Mar;13(1):100-112.
- Thangavel R, Bhagavan S, Beladakere S, Govindarajan R, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Co- expression of Glia Maturation Factor and Apolipoprotein E4 in Alzheimer’s Disease Brain. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018;61(2):553-560.
- Horak H, Englander R, Barratt D, Kraakevik J, Soni M, Tiryaki E; UES subcommittee of the AAN. Entrustable professional activities: A useful concept for neurology education. Neurology. 2018 Feb 13;90(7):326-332.
- Katyal N, Hether T, Geiger D, Govindarajan R×. Mentoring, Education and Engagement (M.E.E.)- a Novel Method to Improve Patient Satisfaction and Employee Engagement. New England Journal of Medicine. https://catalyst.nejm.org/mentoring-education-engagement-mee-technique/, accessed on 04/21/2018.
- Safdieh JE, Quick AD, Korb PJ,UES subcommittee. A dozen years of evolution of neurology clerkships in the United States: Looking up. American Academy of Neurology Consortium of Neurology Clerkship Directors 2017 Neurology Clerkship Director Survey Workgroup.Neurology. 2018 Oct 9;91(15):e1440-e1447.
- Kuruvilla-Dugdale M, Custer C, Heidrick H, Barohn R, Govindarajan Rx. A phonetic complexity-based approach to intelligibility and articulatory precision testing: A preliminary study on talkers with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, accepted in Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Surpur S, Govindarajan, R×. Role of “sural sparing” pattern (absent/abnormal median and ulnar SNAPs with present sural SNAP) compared to absent/abnormal median or ulnar SNAPs with normal sural SNAP in AIDP. Front Neurol. 2017 Sep 29; 8:512.
- Govindarajan R, Simpson D AANEM Disciplinary Policies and Procedures 2016
- Neuromuscular Junction Disorders. Authors, Nagarajan E, Govindarajan R. Book: A Comprehensive Review of Neuromuscular Disorders. Editors: Nestor Galvez, John Morren, Alexandra Soriano. Publisher: Springer.
- Identifying Diagnostic Errors in peripheral neuropathy. Author: Govindarajan R. Book Title: CONTINUUM: Lifelong Learning in Neurology. 23(5, Peripheral Nerve and Motor Neuron Disorders):1458-1466. Editor: Kerry Levin, MD. Publisher: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Book title: Patient safety stories and lessons we can learn from them. Editors: Govindarajan R, Kaur H, Yelam A. Publisher: CRC Publishing.