1. Missouri Orthopaedic Institute
Education & Training
University of Virginia School of Medicine
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Hospital for Special Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
Areas of Expertise
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Bone and joint diseases
- Elbow surgery
- Knee surgery
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Orthopaedic trauma surgery
- Shoulder surgery
- Sports medicine
Awards & Honors
- 2018 - Dorsett L. Spurgeon MD Distinguished Medical Research Award
- 2017 — Sports Medicine Australia ASICS Award Presentation for Best New Investigator, Injury Prevention
- 2016 — National Operating Committee on Standards of Athletic Equipment Grant Award
- 2016 — Hospital for Special Surgery Institute of Sports Medicine Research Grant Award
- 2016 — Inside Columbia Magazine's Favorite Doctors
- 2015 — Swiss Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology Annual Meeting Best Poster Award
- 2015 — Inside Columbia Magazine's Favorite Doctors
- 2014 — American Orthopaedic Society of Sports Medicine Aircast Basic Science Award
- 2013 — Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident/Fellow Training Award
- 2012 — National Football League Medical Charities Grant Award
- 2012 — Orthopaedic Research Education Foundation (OREF) Young Investigator Grant Award
- 2012 — AAOS/OREF/ORS Clinician Scholar Development Program
- 2010 — American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leaders Program
- 2010 — American Orthopaedic Association/Zimmer/OREF Resident Leadership Forum
- 2010 — Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Award for highest score in orthopaedic in-training exam
- 2009 — Alan Levine Scholars in Orthopaedic Graduate Medical Education Scholarship, 1 of 2 orthopaedic residents selected nationally to attend the 2009 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Course for Orthopaedic Educator
- 2009 — Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma Best Orthopaedic Teaching Resident Award
- 2009 — Virginia Area OREF Resident Research Symposium First Place Poster Presentation Prize
- 2009 — Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Award for highest score in orthopaedic in-training exam
- 2007 — Best Paper Award, Virginia Orthopaedic Society 60th Annual Meeting
- 2007 — OREF Resident Clinician Scientist Training Grant Award
- 2007 — Cervical Spine Research Society Resident/Fellow Research Grant Award
- 2004 — Raven Society, University of Virginia's oldest and most prestigious honorary society
- 2001 — Norfolk Foundation Florence L. Smith Medical Scholarship, four-year medical scholarship
- 2001 — Commonwealth of Virginia Governor's Fellow
- 2000 — Phi Beta Kappa, University of Virginia Chapter
- 1998 — University of Virginia Intermediate Honors
- 1997 — Ethyl Scholar, four-year full academic scholarship to the University of Virginia
- Ma R, Schär M, Chen T, Wang H, Wada S, Ju X, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. Use of Human Placenta-Derived Cells in a Preclinical Model of Tendon Injury. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019;101(13):e61.
- Ma R, Stasiak M, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. A Preclinical Model to Study the Influence of Graft Force on the Healing of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Graft. J Knee Surg. 2019;32:441-447.
- Ma R, Schär M, Chen T, Sisto M, Nguyen J, Voigt C, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. Effect of Dynamic Changes in Anterior Cruciate Ligament In Situ Graft Force on the Biological Healing Response of the Graft-Tunnel Interface. Am J Sports Med. 2018;46:915-923.
- Ma R, Brimmo OA, Li X, Colbert, L. Current Concepts in Shoulder Rehabilitation Following Traumatic Anterior Instability. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017;10(4):499-506.
- Zong JC, Ma R, Wang H, Cong GT, Lebaschi A, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. The Effect of Graft Pretensioning on Bone Tunnel Diameter and Bone Formation after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in a Rat Model: Evaluation with Micro-Computed Tomography. Am J Sports Med. 2017;45(6):1349-1358.
- Ma R, Lopez V, Weinstein MG, Chen JL, Black CM, Gupta AT, Harbst JD, Victoria C, Allen AA. Injury Profile of American Wormen’s Rugby-7s. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016;48(10):1957-1966.
- Lopez V, Ma R, Weinstein MG, Cantu RC, Myers LSD, Nadkar NS, Victoria C, Allen AA. Concussive Injuries in Rugby 7s: An American Experience and Current Review. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016;48(7):1320-1330.
- Rodeo SA, Voigt C, Ma R, Solic J, Stasiak M, Ju X, El-Amin S, Deng XH. Use of a New Model Allowing Controlled Uniaxial Loading to Evaluate Tendon Healing in a Bone Tunnel. J Orthop Res. 2016;34(5):852-859.
- Ma R, Ju X, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. A Novel Small Animal Model of Differential Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Graft Strain. J Knee Surg. 2015;28(6):489-495.
- Ma R, Schaer M, Chen T, Sisto M, Voigt C, Nguyen J, Ying L, Deng XH, Rodeo SA. Aircast Award for Basic Science – The Effect of Dynamic Changes in ACL Graft Force on Soft Tissue ACL Graft-Tunnel Incorporation. Orthop J Sports Med. 2014;2:DOI:10.1177/2325967114S00087
Books and Chapters
- Kang RW, Ma R, Pais DA, Williams III RJ. Techniques in Cartilage Repair Surgery. Shetty AA, Kim SJ, Nakamura N, Brittberg M, editors. Heidelberg: Springer; 2014. Chapter 7, TruFit®; p.69-80
- Ma R, Hogan MV, Schaer M, Demange M, Rodeo SA. DeLee and Drez’s Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. 4th ed. Miller MD, Thompson SR, editors. Philadephia, PA: Elsevier; 2014. Chapter 5, The Use of Orthobiologics in Sports Medicine: The Clinical Application of Platelet-rich Plasma and Stem Cell Therapy; p.55-65.