Dr. Johnson is a board-certified ophthalmologist, and specializes in patients diagnosed with cataracts and glaucoma. She treats patients all ages with a range of conditions from routine cases of family history of glaucoma to complex surgeries. Dr Johnson is skilled in the medical, laser and surgical treatment of glaucoma.
Education & Training
Boston University School of Medicine
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- Palmetto Health
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Dr. Johnson specializes in nearly all aspects of glaucoma and cataracts, and continues to be involved with academic priorities. She participates as an invited lecturer for didactic courses and national meetings, as well as has edited a textbook, Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. Previously, she was the director of medical students' ophthalmic education and has been an ophthalmology residency director. Dr. Johnson has also taught internationally in nine countries, predominantly in Africa, training other ophthalmologists surgical techniques to treat glaucoma.
Dr. Johnson works on projects as part of a mentorship for clinical learners and has participated in the training of 10 glaucoma fellows. Her particular interest is in surgical outcomes. These projects help Dr. Johnson maintain her scholarly approach to medicine.
- Surgical Outcomes
Areas of Expertise
- Nearly all aspects of glaucoma care and cataracts
Awards & Honors
- 1996 AAO LEO Award from American Academy of Ophthalmology Lifetime Education for the Ophthalmologist Continuing Education Recognition
- 1997-1999 UNC School of Medicine, Teaching Scholars Program (nominated for this 40 hr. seminar)
- 2002 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2003 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination
- 2003 First Annual UNC Opthalmology Residents Teaching Award
- 2004 Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- 2009-2010 Cambridge Who’s Who Registry among Executive and Professional Women
- 2010 University of Virginia Leadership in Academic Matters Fellow Nominated for 48 hour course, and ongoing lectures.
- 2013, 2017 Annual UVA Residents’ Teaching Award
- King GL*, Johnson SM, Jialal I. Processing and Transport of Insulin by Vascular Endothelial Cells: Effects of Sulfonylureas on Insulin Receptors. Am J Med 79(3B):43-7, 1985. Performed many of the experiments and did the cell cultures
- King GL*, Johnson SM. Receptor-Mediated Transport of Insulin Across Endothelial Cells. Science 227:1583-6, 1985. Did all the lab work, researched materials for the membrane used, designed experiments with Dr. King, the originator of the concept
- Johnson SM, Cheng HM, Pineda R, Netland PA*. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cyclodialysis Clefts. Graefe’s Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 1997; 235:468-471.
- Johnson SM. Neurotrophic Corneal Defects After Diode Laser Cycloablation. AJO 126 (5): 725-7, 1998.
- Johnson SM*, Martinez M, Freedman S. Glaucoma in Pregnancy. Survey of Ophthalmology 45 (5):449-52, 2001.
- Johnson SM. Tissue Interactions of Glaucoma Tube Implants. Research Communications in Pharmacology and Toxicology 6:227-237, 2001.
- Meyers TM, Wallace DK*, Johnson SM. Ophthalmic Medications in Pediatric Patients. Comprehensive Ophthalmology Update. 2005; 6: 85-101.
- Reddy AR*, Johnson SM. Iridectomy or iridotomy for angle closure glaucoma. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews 2007, issue 4. (about 40% of the work.)
- Johnson, SM*, Stanley L. Moyamoya in Asociation with Congenital Glaucoma. Clinical Pediatrics 20:1-4, 2008
- Mirza S, Johnson SM. Efficacy and patient tolerability of Travaprost BAK-free solution in patients with open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Clinical Ophthalmology 2010
- Johnson, SM, Pike, EC, Feinstein, EG. Complications of inadvertent filtration blebs following cataract extraction. J Cataract Refract Surg 38:539-43, 2012.
- Murphy RK, , Ketzler L,. Rice, RD MD, Johnson SM, Jaccoma EH, MD. Glucosamine as a possible risk factor for glaucoma: Retrospective Case Review. JAMA Ophthalmol 955-7, 2013
- Patel, V, Gupta, A, Nunn J, Johnson, SM. The effect of early post-operative glaucoma medications on hypertensive phase with the Ahmed glaucoma implant. J of Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Surgery.1(2);2015. http://vowscientificquest.com/index.php/VJO/issue/view/15
- Areiter E, Johnson SM. The spectrum of angle closure, uveal effusion syndrome and nanopthalmous: a case report. J of Current Glaucoma Practice. 2016. http://www.jocgp.com/
- Peck T, Aggarwal S, Johnson, SM. Case of dislocated Sommerins ring. Case Reports in Ophthalmology 2018.
- Comparison of glaucoma patch graft materials for glaucoma tub implant surgery. Aggarwal S, Kremer C, Johnson SM. Current Glaucoma Practice: submitted
- A Practical Guide to the Pregnant and Breastfeeding Patient with Glaucoma Belkin, A, Chen T, DeOliveria AR, Johnson, SM, Rammula PY, Buys YM. Ophthal Glau 3;79-89:2020.
- The ingredients and microbiology studies of traditional eye medicine in a teaching hospital in southwest Uganda. Chang J, Aggarwal S, Simon A, Johnson SM. Middle Eastern and African Jrnl Ophtal. Under Review 2020
- Outcomes of phacoemulsification in mature cataracts. Gupta A, Nunn J, Areiter, E, Johnson SM. JCRS 2021: in preparation
- King GL, Johnson SM, Wu G. Modulators Involved in the Pathogenesis of Diabetic Proliferative Retinopathy. In: B Westermark, C Betsholtz, B Hokfelt eds. Growth Factors in Health and Disease. Elsevier Science Publishers BV; 1990:303-17.
- Johnson SM, Bryson PJ, Clark R, Tripathi RC. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Induces A LGlaucoma enticular Myopic Shift Even With Shorter Treatment Protocol: A Preliminary Report. IN: Weisse I et al. eds. Ocular Toxicology. New York: Plenum Press;1995:235- 40.
- Johnson SM. Glaucoma..In: Greganti A, editor. Netter Textbook of Internal Medicine. ICON; 2003: 215-9. Invited
- Johnson, SM. Glaucoma. In: Greganti A and Runge M editors. Netter’s Internal Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia:WB Saunders; 2007.:1136-41. Invited
- Johnson SM. Combined Cataract and Trabeculectomy Surgery. In: Johnson SM editor. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009: 59-72.
- Johnson SM. Cataract Induced Glaucoma. In Johnson SM ed. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009:207-12.
- Ghodasra D, Johnson SM. Cataract Surgery in the Hypotonous Eye. In: Johnson SM, editor. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009:227-32.
- Johnson SM. Encapsulated Filtering Blebs after Glaucoma Shunt Surgery. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York: Springer; 2010: 824-6.
- Chaudhary O, Johnson SM. Laboratory testing for Uveitis in the Glaucoma Patient. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York: Springer;2010: 533-5.
- Khalifa Y, Johnson SM. Intravitreal Steroids and Glaucoma. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York; Springer; 2010: 671-2.
- Johnson, SM, Areiter, E. Teaching and Learning Cataract Surgery. In: Didier Navarro ed. Cataracts and Cataract Surgery: Types, Rick Factors, and Treatment Options, Nova Science Publications, Hauppauge, NY; 2013:137-44.
- Manns, J, Johnson SM, Netland P. Cataract in the Glaucoma Patient. IN: Bonnie Henderson Ed. Essentials of Cataract Surgery. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ
- Walsh J, Johnson SM. Ocular Genetics. IN: Jan Ledford Ed. Principles and Practice in Ophthalmic Assisting: A text for study and application. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ. 2017
- Areiter E, Johnson SM. Glaucoma. IN: Jan Ledford, Ed. Principles and Practice in Ophthalmic Assisting: A text for study and application. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ. 2017
- Page R, Johnson SM. MIGS and cataract surgery. IN: Cataract Surgery. AVID Science, ebook, 2016.
- Johnson SM. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009. 248 pages. Invited - Second Edition in process 2020.
- Johnson SM, Bell C. The Case of the Cherry Red Eye. Eye Net. April 2003. 35-36.
- Johnson SM. Diabetes and the Eye. UNC Clinical Update, July, 2003.
- Johnson, SM. Surgery in Eyes with Pseudoexfoliation. Glaucoma Today. 2005;48-53.
- Johnson, SM. Surgical Intervention for Phacomorphic Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. 2006;37-39
- Johnson, SM, Mian S, Connor C. Unusual Secondary Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. 2008;31-33.
- Baumrind B, Johnson, SM. Glaucoma Secondary to Traumatic Hyphema. Glaucoma Today, April 2009.
- Johnson, SM. Book Review of Glaucoma, Saunders. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 29:371-2, 2009.
- Cantor LB, Durcan J, Elmallah M, Johnson SM. Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Devices in Filtering Surgery. Glaucoma Today, April 2010.
- Johnson, SM. Zaffos, J. Trabeculectomy following failed primary tube shunt. Glaucoma Today 8(4):69-72, fall 2010.
- Johnson SM, Farber NC. Surgery for POAG in an eye with prior conjunctival problems. Glaucoma Today 11(1):24-6. January/February 2013.
- Johnson, SM. Combined Glaucoma and Cataract Surgery: One surgeon’s tips and techniques. Glaucoma Today. March/April 2013.
- Johnson, SM. Steroid-Induced Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. June 2013.
- Johnson, SM, Josh Nunn. Formation of a Pupillary Membrane after Trauma. Glaucoma Today. 2014
- Johnson SM, Areiter E. Managing a Failed Trabeculectomy. Glaucoma Today, May/June 2016.
- Johnson SM, Khalil, S. Failing Trabeculectomy. Glaucoma Today Submission. 2020.