Dr. Johnson is a board-certified ophthalmologist, and specializes in patients diagnosed with cataracts and glaucoma. She treats patients all ages with a range of conditions from routine cases of family history of glaucoma to complex surgeries. Dr Johnson is skilled in the medical, laser and surgical treatment of glaucoma.
Education & Training
Boston University School of Medicine
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center-Internal Medicine GME
- Palmetto Health Graduate Medical Education
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Dr. Johnson specializes in nearly all aspects of glaucoma and cataracts, and continues to be involved with academic priorities. She participates as an invited lecturer for didactic courses and national meetings, as well as has edited a textbook, Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. Previously, she was the director of medical students' ophthalmic education and has been an ophthalmology residency director. Dr. Johnson has also taught internationally in nine countries, predominantly in Africa, training other ophthalmologists surgical techniques to treat glaucoma.
Dr. Johnson works on projects as part of a mentorship for clinical learners and has participated in the training of 10 glaucoma fellows. Her particular interest is in surgical outcomes. These projects help Dr. Johnson maintain her scholarly approach to medicine.
- Surgical Outcomes
Areas of Expertise
- Nearly all aspects of glaucoma care and cataracts
Awards & Honors
- 1996 AAO LEO Award from American Academy of Ophthalmology Lifetime Education for the Ophthalmologist Continuing Education Recognition
- 1997-1999 UNC School of Medicine, Teaching Scholars Program (nominated for this 40 hr. seminar)
- 2002 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2003 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination
- 2003 First Annual UNC Opthalmology Residents Teaching Award
- 2004 Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- 2009-2010 Cambridge Who’s Who Registry among Executive and Professional Women
- 2010 University of Virginia Leadership in Academic Matters Fellow Nominated for 48 hour course, and ongoing lectures.
- 2013, 2017 Annual UVA Residents’ Teaching Award
- Gupta A, Nunn J, Areiter, E, Johnson SM.
Outcomes of phacoemulsification in mature cataracts.
JCRS 2021: in preparation
- Aggarwal S, Kremer C, Johnson SM.
Comparison of glaucoma patch graft materials for glaucoma tub implant surgery.
Current Glaucoma Practice: submitted
- Belkin, A, Chen T, DeOliveria AR, Johnson, SM, Rammula PY, Buys YM.
A Practical Guide to the Pregnant and Breastfeeding Patient with Glaucoma
Ophthal Glau 3;79-89:2020.
- Chang J, Aggarwal S, Simon A, Johnson SM.
The ingredients and microbiology studies of traditional eye medicine in a teaching hospital in southwest Uganda.
Middle Eastern and African Jrnl Ophtal. Under Review 2020
- Johnson SM.
Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009. 248 pages.
Invited - Second Edition in process 2020.
- Shruti Aggarwal, Candice Kremer, Stephanie Engelhard, Sandra Johnson
Comparison of Locally Sourced Pericardium and Other Convetional Patch Graft Materials in a Glaucoma Drainage Device Surgery [Pages No:14-18]
Journal of Current Glaucoma Practices
- Johnson SM, Khalil, S.
Glaucoma Today Submission. 2020.