Education & Training
Boston University School of Medicine
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- Palmetto Health
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Dr. Johnson works on projects as part of a mentorship for clinical learners. Her particular interest is in surgical outcomes. These projects help Dr. Johnson maintain her scholarly approach to medicine.
- Surgical Outcomes
Areas of Expertise
- Nearly all aspects of glaucoma care and cataracts
Awards & Honors
- 1996 AAO LEO Award from American Academy of Ophthalmology Lifetime Education for the Ophthalmologist Continuing Education Recognition
- 1997-1999 UNC School of Medicine, Teaching Scholars Program (nominated for this 40 hr. seminar)
- 2002 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2003 UNC School of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination
- 2003 First Annual UNC Opthalmology Residents Teaching Award
- 2004 Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- 2009-2010 Cambridge Who’s Who Registry among Executive and Professional Women
- 2010 University of Virginia Leadership in Academic Matters Fellow Nominated for 48 hour course, and ongoing lectures.
- 2013, 2017 Annual UVA Residents’ Teaching Award
- King GL*, Johnson SM, Jialal I. Processing and Transport of Insulin by Vascular Endothelial Cells: Effects of Sulfonylureas on Insulin Receptors. Am J Med 79(3B):43-7, 1985. Performed many of the experiments and did the cell cultures
- King GL*, Johnson SM. Receptor-Mediated Transport of Insulin Across Endothelial Cells. Science 227:1583-6, 1985. Did all the lab work, researched materials for the membrane used, designed experiments with Dr. King, the originator of the concept
- Johnson SM, Cheng HM, Pineda R, Netland PA*. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cyclodialysis Clefts. Graefe’s Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 1997; 235:468-471.
- Johnson SM. Neurotrophic Corneal Defects After Diode Laser Cycloablation. AJO 126 (5): 725-7, 1998.
- Johnson SM*, Martinez M, Freedman S. Glaucoma in Pregnancy. Survey of Ophthalmology 45 (5):449-52, 2001.
- Johnson SM. Tissue Interactions of Glaucoma Tube Implants. Research Communications in Pharmacology and Toxicology 6:227-237, 2001.
- Meyers TM, Wallace DK*, Johnson SM. Ophthalmic Medications in Pediatric Patients. Comprehensive Ophthalmology Update. 2005; 6: 85-101.
- Reddy AR*, Johnson SM. Iridectomy or iridotomy for angle closure glaucoma. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews 2007, issue 4. (about 40% of the work.)
- Johnson, SM*, Stanley L. Moyamoya in Asociation with Congenital Glaucoma. Clinical Pediatrics 20:1-4, 2008
- Mirza S, Johnson SM. Efficacy and patient tolerability of Travaprost BAK-free solution in patients with open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension. Clinical Ophthalmology 2010
- Johnson, SM, Pike, EC, Feinstein, EG. Complications of inadvertent filtration blebs following cataract extraction. J Cataract Refract Surg 38:539-43, 2012.
- Murphy RK, , Ketzler L,. Rice, RD MD, Johnson SM, Jaccoma EH, MD. Glucosamine as a possible risk factor for glaucoma: Retrospective Case Review. JAMA Ophthalmol 955-7, 2013
- Patel, V, Gupta, A, Nunn J, Johnson, SM. The effect of early post-operative glaucoma medications on hypertensive phase with the Ahmed glaucoma implant. J of Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Surgery.1(2);2015. http://vowscientificquest.com/index.php/VJO/issue/view/15
- Areiter E, Johnson SM. The spectrum of angle closure, uveal effusion syndrome and nanopthalmous: a case report. J of Current Glaucoma Practice. 2016. http://www.jocgp.com/
- Peck T, Aggarwal S, Johnson, SM. Case of dislocated Sommerins ring. Case Reports in Ophthalmology 2018.
- Comparison of glaucoma patch graft materials for glaucoma tub implant surgery. Aggarwal S, Kremer C, Johnson SM. Current Glaucoma Practice: submitted
- A Practical Guide to the Pregnant and Breastfeeding Patient with Glaucoma Belkin, A, Chen T, DeOliveria AR, Johnson, SM, Rammula PY, Buys YM. Ophthal Glau 3;79-89:2020.
- The ingredients and microbiology studies of traditional eye medicine in a teaching hospital in southwest Uganda. Chang J, Aggarwal S, Simon A, Johnson SM. Middle Eastern and African Jrnl Ophtal. Under Review 2020
- Outcomes of phacoemulsification in mature cataracts. Gupta A, Nunn J, Areiter, E, Johnson SM. JCRS 2021: in preparation
- King GL, Johnson SM, Wu G. Modulators Involved in the Pathogenesis of Diabetic Proliferative Retinopathy. In: B Westermark, C Betsholtz, B Hokfelt eds. Growth Factors in Health and Disease. Elsevier Science Publishers BV; 1990:303-17.
- Johnson SM, Bryson PJ, Clark R, Tripathi RC. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Induces A LGlaucoma enticular Myopic Shift Even With Shorter Treatment Protocol: A Preliminary Report. IN: Weisse I et al. eds. Ocular Toxicology. New York: Plenum Press;1995:235- 40.
- Johnson SM. Glaucoma..In: Greganti A, editor. Netter Textbook of Internal Medicine. ICON; 2003: 215-9. Invited
- Johnson, SM. Glaucoma. In: Greganti A and Runge M editors. Netter’s Internal Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia:WB Saunders; 2007.:1136-41. Invited
- Johnson SM. Combined Cataract and Trabeculectomy Surgery. In: Johnson SM editor. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009: 59-72.
- Johnson SM. Cataract Induced Glaucoma. In Johnson SM ed. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009:207-12.
- Ghodasra D, Johnson SM. Cataract Surgery in the Hypotonous Eye. In: Johnson SM, editor. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009:227-32.
- Johnson SM. Encapsulated Filtering Blebs after Glaucoma Shunt Surgery. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York: Springer; 2010: 824-6.
- Chaudhary O, Johnson SM. Laboratory testing for Uveitis in the Glaucoma Patient. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York: Springer;2010: 533-5.
- Khalifa Y, Johnson SM. Intravitreal Steroids and Glaucoma. In: Schacknow PN, Samples JR eds. The Glaucoma Book. New York; Springer; 2010: 671-2.
- Johnson, SM, Areiter, E. Teaching and Learning Cataract Surgery. In: Didier Navarro ed. Cataracts and Cataract Surgery: Types, Rick Factors, and Treatment Options, Nova Science Publications, Hauppauge, NY; 2013:137-44.
- Manns, J, Johnson SM, Netland P. Cataract in the Glaucoma Patient. IN: Bonnie Henderson Ed. Essentials of Cataract Surgery. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ
- Walsh J, Johnson SM. Ocular Genetics. IN: Jan Ledford Ed. Principles and Practice in Ophthalmic Assisting: A text for study and application. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ. 2017
- Areiter E, Johnson SM. Glaucoma. IN: Jan Ledford, Ed. Principles and Practice in Ophthalmic Assisting: A text for study and application. Slack, Thoroughfare, NJ. 2017
- Page R, Johnson SM. MIGS and cataract surgery. IN: Cataract Surgery. AVID Science, ebook, 2016.
- Johnson SM. Cataract Surgery in the Glaucoma Patient. New York: Springer; 2009. 248 pages. Invited - Second Edition in process 2020.
- Johnson SM, Bell C. The Case of the Cherry Red Eye. Eye Net. April 2003. 35-36.
- Johnson SM. Diabetes and the Eye. UNC Clinical Update, July, 2003.
- Johnson, SM. Surgery in Eyes with Pseudoexfoliation. Glaucoma Today. 2005;48-53.
- Johnson, SM. Surgical Intervention for Phacomorphic Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. 2006;37-39
- Johnson, SM, Mian S, Connor C. Unusual Secondary Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. 2008;31-33.
- Baumrind B, Johnson, SM. Glaucoma Secondary to Traumatic Hyphema. Glaucoma Today, April 2009.
- Johnson, SM. Book Review of Glaucoma, Saunders. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 29:371-2, 2009.
- Cantor LB, Durcan J, Elmallah M, Johnson SM. Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Devices in Filtering Surgery. Glaucoma Today, April 2010.
- Johnson, SM. Zaffos, J. Trabeculectomy following failed primary tube shunt. Glaucoma Today 8(4):69-72, fall 2010.
- Johnson SM, Farber NC. Surgery for POAG in an eye with prior conjunctival problems. Glaucoma Today 11(1):24-6. January/February 2013.
- Johnson, SM. Combined Glaucoma and Cataract Surgery: One surgeon’s tips and techniques. Glaucoma Today. March/April 2013.
- Johnson, SM. Steroid-Induced Glaucoma. Glaucoma Today. June 2013.
- Johnson, SM, Josh Nunn. Formation of a Pupillary Membrane after Trauma. Glaucoma Today. 2014
- Johnson SM, Areiter E. Managing a Failed Trabeculectomy. Glaucoma Today, May/June 2016.
- Johnson SM, Khalil, S. Failing Trabeculectomy. Glaucoma Today Submission. 2020.