Steven DeFroda, MD, is a fellowship-trained sports medicine, shoulder and orthopaedic trauma surgeon who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of sports medicine injuries of the hip, shoulder, knee and elbow, as well as the care of complex fractures. Dr. DeFroda has a passion for athletics — he played catcher for his college baseball team at Stevens Institute of Technology — and his desire to help athletes get back in the game after injuries led him to pursue a career as an orthopaedic surgeon.
Dr. DeFroda has served as an assistant team physician for the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bulls and Chicago Fire. He performs minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures to manage tendon, ligament and labrum injuries and also does open ligament reconstructions, cartilage procedures, shoulder replacements and fracture surgeries.
In his free time, Dr. DeFroda enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife, two sons and dog.
Education & Training
Drexel University College of Medicine
- Rhode Island Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- Brown University School of Medicine
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
- Hip Impingement and Labral tears
- Shoulder Instability
- ACL tears and return to sport
Awards & Honors
- Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Article Award March/April 2017
- Dean’s Excellence in Teaching Award, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 2016-17
- Outstanding Doctoring Community Mentor Award, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, 2016-17
- Health Volunteers Overseas Orthopaedic Traveling Fellowship, May-June 2018
- 2019 Arthroscopy Best Systematic Review/Meta-analysis Research Award
- Rush Fellowship Research Cougar Award 2021. Biomechanical Role of the Superior Capsule in a Rotator Cuff Deficient and Repaired State: A Sequential Sectioning Study. AOSSM/AANA Combined Meeting Nashville TN, 2021.
- DeFroda SF, Kester BS, Clapp IM, Newhouse AC, Nho SJ.
Arthroscopic Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement Using Labral Reconstruction with Capsular Autograft.
Arthrosc Tech. In Press.
- DeFroda SF, Alter TD, Bodendorfer BM, Newhouse AC, Bessa FS, Williams JC, Nho SJ.
Clinically Significant Outcome Improvement After Hip Arthroscopy in Patients with Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome and Severe Femoral Torsion.
Orthop J Sport Med. In Press.
- Bodendorfer BM, Clapp IM, DeFroda SF, Malloy P, Alter TD, Parvaresh K, Chahla J, Nho SJ.
The Natural Course of Recovery following Hip Arthroscopy for Femoroacetabular Impingement According to the International Hip Outcome Tool-12 and Hip Outcome Score Sports Subscale.
Am J Sports Med. In Press.
- DeFroda SF, Perry A, Verma NN.
The “Not” Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Prevention and Management of Common Intra-Operative and Delayed Complications in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Surgical Procedures.
Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review. In Press.
- DeFroda SF, Kester B, Newhouse A, Wichman D, Suppaiksorn S, Nho SJ.
Endoscopic Repair of the Proximal Hamstring.
Video Journal of Sports Med. In Press.
- DeFroda SF, Patel DD, Milner J, Yang DS, Owens BD.
Performance After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in National Basketball Association Players.
Orthop J Sport Med. 2021;9(2). doi:10.1177/2325967120981649.
- DeFroda SF, Perry AK, Bodendorfer BM, Verma NN.
Evolving Concepts in the Management of Shoulder Instability.
Indian J Orthop. 2021;55(2):285-298. doi:10.1007/s43465-020-00348-4
- DeFroda SF, Staffa SJ, Dubuque T, Dien D, Demers C KP.
Effect of a 12-Week Off-Season Strength Training Program on Athletic Performance in Adolescent Baseball Players.
Sport Med Inj Care J. 2020.
- DeFroda SF, Staffa SJ, Keeley T, Kriz PK.
Home Run Derby Participation in Major League Baseball Players: Is There Associated Injury Risk and Impact on Second-Half Performance?
Orthop J Sport Med.
- DeFroda SF, ODonnell RM, Fadale PD, Owens BD, Fleming BC.
The role of magnetic resonance imaging in evaluating postoperative ACL reconstruction healing and graft mechanical properties: a new criterion for return to play?
Phys Sportsmed. 2020. doi:10.1080/00913847.2020.1820846
- DeFroda SF, McGlone P, Levins J, ODonnell R, Cruz AI, Kriz PK.
Shoulder and Elbow Injuries in the Adolescent Throwing Athlete.
R I Med J (2013). 2020;103(7).
- DeFroda SF, Bokshan SL, Yang DS, Daniels AH, Owens BD.
Trends in the Surgical Treatment of Articular Cartilage Lesions in the United States from 2007 to 2016.
J Knee Surg. May 2020. doi:10.1055/s-0040-1712946
- DeFroda SF, Karamchedu NP, Budacki R, et al.
Evaluation of Graft Tensioning Effects in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction between Hamstring and Bone–Patellar Tendon Bone Autografts.
J Knee Surg. January 2020. doi:10.1055/s-0039-3402046.
- Gao B, Dwivedi S, DeFroda S, et al.
The Therapeutic Benefits of Saline Solution Injection for Lateral Epicondylitis: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials Comparing Saline Injections With Nonsurgical Injection Therapies.
Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2019;35(6):1847-1859.e12. doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2019.02.051
- DeFroda SF, Nacca C, Waryasz GR, Owens BD.
Diagnosis and Management of Distal Clavicle Osteolysis.
Orthopedics. December 2016:1-6. doi:10.3928/01477447-20161128-03.