Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Education & Training
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Walter Reed Military Medical Center
Walter Reed Military Medical Center
Twin Cities Spine Center
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1100 Virginia Ave.
Columbia, MO 65212
- Biomechanics of spinal fixation
- Aging spine issues
- Complications in spine deformity surgery
- Patient-based outcomes measures
Areas of Expertise
- Adult spinal deformity
- Degenerative spinal conditions
- Spine Trauma
Awards & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, medical honor society inducted 1992
- US Army, Europe Command, Flight Surgeon of the year, 1994
- Named, “10 Spine Surgeon Leaders of Academic Medical Centers to Know,” by Becker’s Orthopaedic and Spine Review, Feb, 2011
- Named, “20 Spine & Neurosurgeon Leaders at Large Academic Medical Centers,” by Becker’s Spine Review, Apr, 2012
- Co- recipient, Louis A. Goldstein Award for best clinical poster presentation, Scoliosis Research Society, Lyon, France, 2013.
- AOSpine Excellence in Education Award, North America Regional Faculty, Dec, 2014
- Certificate of Recognition for an Entrepreneurial Spirit. University of Missouri, 2014.
- Co-recipient, Vice Chancellor’s Award for UMHS Innovation and Improvement Sharing Days, 2014.
Selections from more than 50 peer-reviewed publications:
- Goldstein CL, Pashuck TD, Ingalls KL, Billings LL, Agha MT, Drymalski MW, Choma TJ, Jeffries JT, James CR. Dispersal pattern of injectate after cervical epidural steroid injection evaluated with magnetic resonance imaging. Global Spine J. 2019. DOI: 10.1177/2192568218811141
- Bateman AH, Larouche J, Goldstein CL, Sciubba DM, Choma TJ, Lawrence B, Cheng J, Fehlings MG, Paquette SJ, Yee AJM. The importance of determining trainee perspectives on procedural competencies during spine surgery clinical fellowship. Global Spine J. 2019;9(1):18-24.
- Choma TJ. What’s new in spine surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018;100(12):1071-1074.
- Choma TJ, Mroz TE, Goldstein CL, Arnold P, Shamji MF. Emerging techniques in thoracic and lumbar spine surgery. Neurosurgery. 2017;80(3S):S55-S60.
- Smith MJ, Choma TJ. Patient satisfaction in musculoskeletal medicine. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017;10(2):207-211.
- Stannard JT, Edamura K, Stoker AM, O’Connell GD, Kuroki K, Hung CT, Choma TJ, Jeffries JT, Reinsel T, Cook JL. Development of a whole organ culture for Intervertebral Disc Disease. J Orthop Translat (2016) 5, 1-8.
- Choma TJ, Rechtine GR, McGuire RA, Brodke DS. Treating the aging spine. Instr Course Lect. 2016; 65:269-79.
- Smith MJ, Reiter MJ, Crist BD, Schultz L, Choma TJ. Improving patient satisfaction through computer-based questionnaires. Orthopedics. 2016;39(1):e31-5.
- Fehlings MG, Tetrault L, Nater A, Choma T, Harrop J, Mroz T, Santaguida C, Smith JS. The Aging of the global population: The changing epidemiology of disease and spinal disorders. Neurosurgery 77Suppl4:S1-5, Oct 2015.
- Pfeiffer, F, Choma T, Kueny R. Finite element analysis of pedicle screw in artificial bone samples with and without supplemental cement augmentation. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin. 2015;18(13):1459-1467.