Education & Training
Aga Khan University Medical School
- Harry S Truman VA Hospital
- University of Missouri at Columbia
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
The endocrine system influences almost every part of the body, producing hormones that regulate metabolism, growth and development, reproduction, sleep, mood and other bodily functions. Disorders can range from mild hormonal imbalances to life-threatening diseases such as diabetes and thyroid cancer.
Khan is working to understand and treat endocrine disorders and related conditions. Her specialties include diabetes, lipid disorders and cardiovascular issues, metabolic and hormonal imbalances, osteoporosis and thyroid disorders, including thyroid cancer. As a researcher and a clinician, she has been in practice for more than 20 years. Much of her research focuses on understanding diabetes, including cardiovascular risk factors faced by diabetic patients.
Additionally, Khan was one of a group of researchers who conducted clinical trials to evaluate a thyroid cancer medicine used for cancers that have not responded to other treatments. Based on data from the trials conducted by Khan and other scientists, the Federal Drug Administration approved the drug for widespread use. She is involved with teaching medical students and residents and serves as director of the Fellowship Program in the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
Dr. Uzma Khan is an associate professor of clinical medicine in the School of Medicine.
Areas of Expertise
- Lipid disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Endocrine disorders
Awards & Honors
- American College of Physicians, Fellow 2011
- American Diabetes Association
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American thyroid Association
- The Endocrine Society
- Ambulatory Clinical Experience (ACE) student preceptor
- Resident lectures:
- Thyroid Disorders
- Adrenal Disorders: February 2005
- Endocrine Syndromes: August 30, 2007
- Endocrine Emergencies: September 6, 2006, September 5, 2007
- Pituitary Disorders: August 27, 2008
- Student lectures:
- Thyroid and Lipid disorders—delivered to M3 students during Internal Medicine rotation
- Endocrine changes in Pregnancy
- Endocrine Tumors
- Thyroiditis—Case wrap up for Problem-Based-Learning for M2s
- Hypothalamus and the neuroendocrine system – M1 lecture