Education & Training
Hunan Medical University
Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center
Aurora Health Care, University of Minnesota at Minneapolis
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
My research has been focused on bone marrow stem cells (BMSCs), their differentiation into endothelial cell and cardiomyocytes and related mechanisms, especially the role of nitric oxide, ERK1/2, Akt and STAT-3 pathways.
Currently, our efforts have been largely directed to investigating the effect of cardiovascular risk factors, including hyperlipidemia and diabetes mellitus (DM) as well as environmental factors, especially air pollution on BMSCs and their differentiation. My ongoing projects have been focused on investigating the effect of oxidized LDL on BMSC differentiation and the survival of transplanted BMSCs and related mechanisms, especially oxidative stress.
Another major active project in my lab is to study the effect of air pollution and ambient fine particulate matter (PM) exposure on BMSCs and their differentiation and related mechanisms.
We are also very active on investigating cardiovascular regeneration using BMSCs and novel biomaterials, as well as the in vivo survival of BMSCs and related mechanisms.
- Bone marrow stem cell (BMSC) biology, BMSC differentiation and mechanisms
- Vascular biology
- Effect of cardiovascular risk factors, including hyperlipidemia and diabetes mellitus, as well as environmental factors, especially air pollution on BMSCs and differentiation.
- Oxidative stress and atherosclerosis
- Cardiovascular regeneration and novel biomaterials
- Anti-arrhythmic therapy
Areas of Expertise
- Evaluation and management of arrhythmia, especially atrial fibrillation and SVT
- Evaluation and management of syncope
- Device (including pacemaker and defibrillator) implantation and management
- Cardiac electrophysiological study and ablation
- Stem cell biology
- Vascular biology and physiology
- Oxidative stress
Awards & Honors
- 2016 James Hay and Ruth Jansson Wilson Professor in Cardiology, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University Medical Center
- 2016 Associate Director for Research, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, The Ohio State University Medical Center
- 2017 Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award, College of Engineering, the Ohio State University
- 2016 Poster Professor, Stem and Progenitor Cells II, AHA Scientific Session 2016, New Orleans
- 2013 Dedicated Service Award in the College of Medicine Educational Program (Ambulatory Care), College of Medicine, the Ohio State University Medical Center
- 2006 ASCI/AAP Travel Award
- 2002 Finalist for American Heart Association Melvin L. Marcus Young Investigator Award in Cardiovascular Science
- 2002 American College of Cardiology Travel Award
- 2002 Lillehei Scholar, University of Minnesota Medical School
- 2001-02 American Heart Association Cardiology Fellows Forum of Excellence
- 1993-95 Studentship, Medical Research Council of Canada
- 1993-94 Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Ontario, Canada (declined)
- 1994 Conference Award, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- 1991-92 Graduate Award, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- 1991-92 Eldon Boyd Fellowship, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- 1990-91 Dean’s Award, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- 1984 First Academic Award, Hunan Medical University, Changsha, China
- Jiang L, Han X, Wang J, Wang C, Sun X, Xie J, Wu G, Phan H, Liu Z, Zhang C, Zhao M, and Kang X. (2018) SHP-1 regulates hematopoietic stem cell quiescence by coordinating TGFβ signaling. JEM (in press).
- Zhu Q, Zhou S, Liu Z. (2018) Fondaparinux and direct oral anticoagulants: two promising therapeutics for management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. JACC (Letter to the Editor, in press)
- Wang H, Gao Z, Liu X, Agarwal P, Zhao S, Conroy DW, Yu J, Jaroniec CP, Liu Z, Lu X, Li X, and He X. (2018) Targeted production of reactive oxygen species in mitochondria to overcome cancer drug resistance. Nature Communications2018 Feb 8. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-02915-8.
- Afzal MR, Mehta D, Evenson C, Pinkhas D, Badin A, Patel D, Essandoh MK, Godara H, Tyler J, Houmsse M, Liu Z, Kalbfleisch SJ, Hummel JD, Augostini R, Weiss R, Daoud EG, Okabe T. (2017) Perioperative management of oral anticoagulation in patients undergoing implantation of subcutaneous implantable defibrillator. Heart Rhythm. 2017 Nov 13. pii: S1547-5271(17)31329-2. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2017.11.010. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29146276
- Gao X, Guha A, Buck B, Patel D, Snider MJ, Boyd M, Afzal M, Badin A, Godara H, Liu Z, Tyler J, Weiss R, Kalbfleisch S, Hummel J, Augostini R, Houmsse M, Daoud EG. (2017) Initiation and outcomes with Class Ic antiarrhythmic drug therapy. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2017 Dec 7. pii: S0972-6292(17)30192-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ipej.2017.12.001. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 29225010
- Fan Z, Fu M, Xu Z, Zhang B, Li Z, Li H, Zhou X, Liu X, Duan Y, Lin PH, Duann P, Xie X, Ma J, Liu Z, Guan J. (2017) Sustained Release of a Peptide-based Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 Inhibitor to Attenuate Adverse Cardiac Remodeling and Improve Cardiac Function Following Myocardial Infarction. Biomacromolecules 18(9):2820-2829. PMID: 28731675.
- Wang H, Agarwal P, Xiao Y, Peng H, Zhao S, Liu X, Zhou S, Li J, Liu Z*, and He X*. (2017) A Nano-In-Micro System for Enhanced Stem Cell Therapy of Ischemic Diseases. ACS Central Science 3(8):875-885. PMID: 28852702
- Agarwal P, Wang H, Sun M, Xu J, Zhao S, Liu Z, Gooch KJ, Zhao Y, Lu X, He X. (2017) Microfluidics Enabled Bottom-Up Engineering of 3D Vascularized Tumor for Drug Discovery. ACS Nano. 11(7):6691-6702, 2017. doi: 10.1021/acsnano.7b00824. PMID: 28614653
- Long Y, Yan J, Luo S, Liu Z, Xia Y. (2017) Measurement of O-GlcNAcylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase by using 2’5’-ADP-Sepharose pull-down assay. Anal Biochem 537:8-12, 2017. PMID: 28844813
- Jiang B, Liu Y, Liang P, Li Y, Liu Z, Tong Z, Lv Q, Liu M, Xiao X. (2017) MicroRNA-126-5p Enhances Myocardial Ischemia-reperfusion Injury through Suppressing Hspb8 Expression. Oncotarget 8(55):94172-94187. PMID: 29212219
- Zhu QY, Tai S, Tang L, Peng W, Zhou SH, Liu ZG, HuXQ. (2017) ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction could be the primary presentation of acute aortic dissection. Am J Emerg Med. 35(11):1713-1717. PMID:28511806
- Kander M, Cui Y, Liu Z. (2017) Gender difference in oxidative stress: a new look at the mechanisms for cardiovascular diseases. J Cel Mol Med 21(5):1024-1032. PMID: 27957792.
- Zhao S, Xu Z, Wang H, Reese BE, Gushchina L, Jiang M, Agarwal P, Xu J, Zhang M, Shen R, Liu Z*, Weisleder N*, He X*. (2016) Bioengineering of injectable encapsulated aggregates of pluripotent stem cells for therapy of myocardial infarction. Nat Commun. 2016 Oct 27; 7:13306. PMID:27786170. (*co-corresponding authors).
- Li Z, Fan Z, Xu Y, Niu H, Xie X, Liu Z, Guan J. (2016) Thermosensitive and highly flexible hydrogels capable of stimulating cardiac differentiation of cardiosphere-derived cells under static and dynamic mechanical training conditions. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 8(25):15948-57.
- Krishnamurthy K, Glaser S, Alpini G, Cardounel AJ, Liu Z, Ilangovan G. (2016) Heat shock factor-1 knockout enhances cholesterol 7α hydroxylase (CYP7A1) and multidrug transporter (MDR1) gene expressions to attenuate atherosclerosis. Cardiovasc Res 111(1):74-83.
- Zhang Q, Chen L, Si Z, Bu H, Narasimhulu CA, Song X, Cui MY, Liu H, Lu T, He G, Parthasarathy S, Cui L, MD, Liu Z*, Cui Y*. (2016) Probucol protects endothelial progenitor cells against oxidized low-density lipoprotein via suppression of reactive oxygen species formation in vivo.Cell Physiol Biochem. 39(1):89-101. (*senior and co-corresponding authors).
- Liang P, Lei S, Jiang B, Long J, Yang X, Liu Z, Huang X. (2016) Bone morphogenetic protein 2 is involved in the proliferation and collagen synthesis of human hyperplastic scar fibroblasts. Int J Clin Exp Med (in press).
- Cui Y, Sun Q, Liu Z. (2016) Ambient particulate matter exposure and cardiovascular diseases: a focus on progenitor and stem cells. J Cel Mol Med 20(5):782-93. PMID:26988063
- Zhao X, Zhu Y, Mei X, Zhang J, Hu J, Lu W, Guo X, Dai L, Shi K, Liu Z. (2016) Radial-Linear Ablation in Peri-pulmonary Vein Area Prevents Inducible Atrial Fibrillation in Dogs. Int J Clin Cardiol 3:73-8.
- Xu Y, Fu M, Li Z, Fan Z, Li X, Liu Y, Anderson PM, Xie X, Liu Z, Guan J. (2016) A prosurvival and proangiogenic stem cell delivery system to promote ischemic limb regeneration. Acta Biomaterialia 31:99-113. PMID:26689466.
- Cui Y, Narasimhulu CA, Liu L, Zhang Q, Liu PZ, Li X, Xiao Y, Zhang J, Hao H, Xie X, He G, Cui L, Parthasarathy S, Liu Z. (2015) N-acetylcysteine inhibits in vivo oxidation of native low-density lipoprotein. Sci Rep. 5:16339. PMID:26536834.
- Guo W, Pan B, Liu L, Huang X, Liu Z, Tian J. (2015) Alcohol exposure increases the expression of cardiac transcription factors through ERK1/2-mediated histone3 hyperacetylation in H9c2 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 466(4):670-5.
- Jiang B, Li Y, Liang P, Liu Y, Huang X, Tong Z, Zhang P, Huang X, Liu Y, Liu Z. (2015) Nucleolin Enhances the Proliferation and Migration of Heat-denatured Human Dermal Fibroblasts. Wound Repair Regen.23(6):807-18.
- Xu Y, Li Z, Li X, Fan Z, Liu Z, Xie X, Guan J. (2015) Regulating Myogenic Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Using Thermosensitive Hydrogels. Acta Biomater. 26:23-33.
- Bai Y, Shang Y, Liu Z, Lu B, and Sun Q. (2015) Pre-exposure to Fine Particulate Matters may Induce Endotoxin Tolerance in a Mouse Model. Austin J Environ Toxicol. 1(2): 1006.
- Cui Y, Narasimhulu CA, Liu L, Li X, Xiao Y, Zhang J, Xie X, Hao H, Liu JZ, He G, Cowan PJ, Cui L, Zhu H, Parthasarathy S, Liu Z. (2015) Oxidized low-density lipoprotein alters endothelial progenitor cell populations. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 20:975-88.
- Cui Y, Jia F, He J, Xie X, Li Z, Fu M, Hao H, Liu Y, Liu DZ, Cowan PJ, Zhu H, Sun Q, Liu Z. (2015) Ambient fine particulate matter suppresses in vivo proliferation of bone marrow stem cells through reactive oxygen species formation. Plos One 10(6):e0127309. PMID: 26058063
- Zhu H, Hou J, Roe JL, Park KH, Tan T, Zheng Y, Li L, Zhang C, Liu J, Liu Z, Ma J, Walters TJ. (2015) Amelioration of ischemia-reperfusion induced muscle injury by the recombinant human MG53 protein. Muscle Nerve. 52(5):852-8.
- Cui Y, Xie X, Jia F, He J, Li Z, Fu M, Hao H, Liu Y, Liu JZ, Cowan PJ, Zhu H, Sun Q, Liu Z. (2015) Ambient fine particulate matter induces apoptosis of endothelial progenitor cells through reactive oxygen species formation. Cell Physiol Biochem 35(1):353-63.
- Liu J, Zhu H, Zheng Y, Xu Z, Li L, Tan T, Park KH, Hou J, Zhang C, Li D, Li R, Liu Z, Weisleder N, Zhu D, Lin P, Ma J. (2015) Cardioprotection of recombinant human MG53 protein in a porcine model of ischemia and reperfusion injury. J Mol Cel Cardiol. 80:10-9. PMID: 25533937.
- Chen L, Wei H, Tan J, Chen H , Liu Z*, Chen Y. (2015) Bone morphogenetic protein 9 and 13 induce C3H10T1/2 cell differentiation to cardiomyocyte-like cell in vitro. Cell Transplant. 24(5):909-20. (*senior and co-corresponding authors).
- Zhu L, Fang N, Gao P, Jin X, Wang H, Liu Z. (2015) Differential ERK1/2 signaling and hypertrophic response to endothelin-1 in cardiomyocytes from SHR and Wistar-Kyoto rats: a potential target for combination therapy of hypertension. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 13(4):467-74.