Aaron Gray, MD, is a sports medicine physician at MU Health Care. He is board certified in family medicine and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in sports medicine. Dr. Gray specializes in youth and adult sports medicine and
non‐operative treatment of musculoskeletal injuries. His specific areas of interest include stress fractures, overuse injuries, pitching and throwing injuries and soccer medicine. Dr. Gray also is medical director of Human Performance Institute.
Dr. Gray completed a primary care sports medicine fellowship at the University of California-Los Angeles, and while there, he was the team physician for men's soccer, baseball, men's volleyball, women's golf and assistant team physician for football. Dr. Gray also has traveled internationally with U.S. Soccer Youth National Teams as a team physician, and he previously was a team physician for Mizzou Baseball and Women's Volleyball. He is currently the medical director of the Integrated Healthcare Team in the University of Missouri Athletic Department.
Education & Training
University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center
- University of Missouri Health Care
- Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
Dr. Gray's research focuses on prevention of youth sports injuries through movement analysis and injury prevention exercises. He founded the multi-disciplinary research group Functional Assessment Screening Team. He has published research involving soccer injuries in NCAA athletes, youth baseball pitching mechanics, and video game technology for motion analysis.
- Early Single Sport Specialization in a High-Achieving US Athlete Population: Comparing National Collegiate Athletic Association Student-Athletes and Undergraduate Students. Journal of Athletic Training. 2019;54(10):1050-1054. DiFiori JP, Quitiquit C, Gray A, Kimlin EJ, Baker R.
- Do neoprene sleeves and prophylactic knee braces affect neuromuscular control and cutting agility? Phys Ther Sport. 2019;39: 23-31. Bodendorfer BM, Arnold NR, Shu HT, Leary EV, Cook JL, Gray AD, Guess TM, Sherman SL.
- DiFiori JP, Quitiquit C, Gray A, Kimlin EJ, Baker R. Early single sport specialization in a high-achieving US athlete population: comparing National Collegiate Athletic Association student-athletes and undergraduate students. J Athl Train. 2019;54(10):1050-1054.
- Bodendorfer BM, Arnold NR, Shu HT, Leary EV, Cook JL, Gray AD, Guess TM, Sherman SL. Do neoprene sleeves and prophylactic knee braces affect neuromuscular control and cutting agility? Phys Ther Sport. 2019;39:23-31.
- Willis BW, Hocker K, Razu S, Gray AD, Skubic M, Sherman SL, Kurkowski G, Guess TM. Relationship between 2-dimensional frontal plane measures and the knee abduction angle during the drop vertical jump. J Sport Rehabil. 2019;28(4):399-402.
- Sherman SL, Gulbrandsen TR, Lewis HA, Gregory MH, Capito NM, Gray AD, Bal BS. Overuse of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and treatment of moderate to severe osteoarthritis. Iowa Orthop J. 2018;38:33-37.
- Thompson SF, Guess TM, Plackis AC, Sherman SL, Gray AD. Youth baseball pitching mechanics: A systematic review. Sports Health. 2018;10(2):133-140.
- Gray AD, Willis BW, Skubic M, Huo Z, Razu S, Sherman SL, Guess TM, Jahandar A, Gulbrandsen TR, Miller S, Siesener NJ. Development and validation of a portable and inexpensive tool to measure the drop vertical jump using the Microsoft Kinect V2. Sport Health. 2017;9(6):537-544.
- Kay MC, Register-Mihalik JK, Gray AD, Djoko A, Dompier TP, Kerr ZY. The epidemiology of severe injuries sustained by National Collegiate Athletic Association student-athletes, 2009-2020 through 2014-2015. J Athl Train. 2017;52(2):117-128.
- Robertson MW, Galloway SJ, Crist BD, Gray AD. Not as straight(forward) as an arrow: Ultrasound use to detect a carbon-fiber foreign body: A case report. JBJS Case Connect. 2016;6(2):e29.
- Gray AD, Cook JL. Return to pitching after Tommy John surgery: letter to the editor. Am J Sports Med. 2014;42(12):NP54.