Education & Training
Medical College of Wisconsin
Surgery (General Surgery)
- University of Utah Medical Center
Surgical Critical Care
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Dr. Liepert's research interests include multidisciplinary and surgical management of severe and necrotizing pancreatitis, surgical health policy advocacy engagement, and healthcare worker violence prevention. Her work has appeared in medical and research publications, including the American Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery, Surgery, JAMASurgery, and the Journal of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Liepert has presented on surgical health policy advocacy, trauma system consequences of the raised Southern border wall and subsequent injuries, and the effects of duplicated CT scans on transferred trauma patients. She has also published on the development of a fully automated EHR based registry for Emergency General Surgery.
- Multidisciplinary and surgical management of severe and necrotizing pancreatitis
- Surgical health policy advocacy engagement
- Healthcare worker violence prevention
Areas of Expertise
- General Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care
Awards & Honors
- 2022 Recipient of Resolution of CA Legislature Joint Members Resolution No. 420
- 2022 Runner up, 2022 Clinical Congress Advocate of the Year Award ACS Clinical Congress
- Finalist Excellence in Advocacy Awards - Women in Government Relations
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) where she currently serves on the Surgeons PAC Board and has completed two terms on the Health Policy Advocacy Group
- Member of the American Medical Association
- Member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Member of The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Member of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Blumenfeld A, Velic A, Bingman EK, Liepert, AE et al.
A mastery learning module on sterile technique to prepare graduating medical students for internship
- Lin S, Johnson C, Opelka F, Liepert A.
Trauma System Funding: Implications for the Surgeon Health Policy Advocate
Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open: 2020 Nov 30;5(1):e000615. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2020-000615.
- Doucet JJ, Godat LN, Kobayashi L, Berndtson AE, Liepert AE, Raschke E, Denny JW, Weaver J, Smith A, Costantini T.
Enhancing Trauma Registries by Integrating Traffic Records and Geospatial Analysis to Improve Bicyclist Safety
J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2021 Apr. PMID: 33443983
- Liepert, A, Sarah Beilke, BS; Glen Leverson, PhD; Ann Sheehy, MD MS.
Health Policy Advocacy Engagement: A Physician Survey
WI Medical Journal. April 2021;120(1):29-33 PMID: 33974762
- Liepert AE, Berndtson AE, Hill LL, et al.
Association of 30-ft US-Mexico Border Wall in San Diego With Increased Migrant Deaths, Trauma Center Admissions, and Injury Severity
JAMA Surg. 2022 Jul 1;157(7):633-635 PMID: 35486395 Published online April 29, 2022. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2022.1885
- Mou, Zongyang MD; Sitapati, Amy M. MD; Ramachandran, Mokhshan; Doucet, Jay J. MD; Liepert, Amy E. MD
Development and Implementation of an Automated Electronic Health Record-linked Registry for Emergency General Surgery
J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2022 Aug 1;93(2):273-279. doi: 10.1097/TA.0000000000003582. Epub 2022 Feb 22. PMID: 35195091
- L'Huillier, Joseph; Kalbfell, Elle; Lemahieu, Matthew; Stafford, Noah; Williams, Kyle; Liepert, Amy E.
Severe Pancreatitis Multidisciplinary Working Group: Exploratory Analysis to Optimize Care and Cost
J Surg Res. 2022 Sep;277:244-253. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2022.04.010. Epub 2022 Apr 30. PMID: 35504152
- Doucet, Jay J. MD; Godat, Laura N. MD; Berndtson, Allison E. MD; Liepert, Amy E. MD; Weaver, Jessica L. MD, PhD; Smith, Alan PhD; Kobayashi, Leslie MD1; Biffl, Walter L. MD; Costantini, Todd MD
Youth violence prevention can be enhanced by geospatial analysis of trauma registry data
Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery: March 28, 2022 - Volume - Issue - 10.1097/TA.0000000000003609 doi: 10.1097/TA.0000000000003609
- Ulrich SM, L'Huillier JC, Jung SA, Krecko LK, Rosser AA, Schulze AK, Liepert AE, O'Rourke AP
Simulation-Based Medical Education: Development of an Assessment Tool for Novice Use
WMJ. 2022 Dec;121(4):316-322.PMID: 36637846
- Liepert AE, Ventro G, Weaver JL, Berndtson AE, Godat LN, Adams LM, Santorelli J, Costantini TW, Doucet JJ.
Decreasing use of pancreatic necrosectomy and NSQIP predictors of complications and mortality
World J Emerg Surg. 2022 Dec 12;17(1):60. doi: 10.1186/s13017-022-00462-8. PMID: 36503680
- Hwang F, Crandall M, Smith A, Parry N, Liepert AE.
Small bowel obstruction in older patients: challenges in surgical management
Surg Endosc. 2023 Jan;37(1):638-644. doi: 10.1007/s00464-022-09428-y. Epub 2022 Aug 2.PMID: 35918548
- Liepert AE, Doucet J. (2021)
The Acute Care Surgeon in Pandemics: Lessons from COVID-19. In: Pikoulis E., Doucet J. (eds) Emergency Medicine, Trauma and Disaster Management. Hot Topics in Acute Care Surgery and Trauma. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-34116-9_32
- Warshaw A, Bailey P, Opelka F, Liepert AE, Shalgian C, Timmerman G, ACS
Optimal Resources for Surgical Education and Training American College of Surgeons Chapter 11: The Surgeon as Advocate 2021