Dr. Camilo Gomez, a vascular and interventional neurologist, treats patients who suffer from complex brain injuries and blood flow conditions such as stroke and rare brain diseases. He sees patients who need immediate emergency medical attention as well as those who require medical management for chronic neurologic diseases. Dr. Gomez performs common neurological procedures such as angioplasty and cerebral artery bypass surgery. He also treats aneurysms related to cerebrovascular diseases.
Dr. Gomez has been a physician for more than four decades and has published hundreds of research articles, founded multiple stroke centers at various institutions, including Saint Louis University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He is credited with coining the phrase “Time is Brain!” to highlight how fast treatment is crucial to reduce brain damage in stroke patients.
Education & Training
Universidad Central De Caribe School Of Medicine
- St. Louis University School of Medicine/Medical Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
In the News
- Computational Models for Acute Ischemia Assessment
- Computational Models for Stroke Risk Assessment
- Development of Neuroendovascular Devices & Techniques
- Theoretical Analysis of Procedural Risk
Areas of Expertise
- Neuroendovascular Rescue for Acute Stroke
- Neuroendovascular Treatment of Aneurysms
- Neuroendovascular Treatment of Intracranial Stenosis
- Carotid & Vertebral Artery Stenting
- Acute & Critical Care of Stroke
- Neurovascular Imaging in Stroke Diagnosis
- Vascular & Interventional Neurology
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow, American Heart Association
- Fellow, American Neurological Association
- 2017: Named in "Who is Who in Hispanic Chicago" by Negocios Now Publications.
Bulwa Z, Gomez CR, Morales-Vidal S, and Biller J. Blood Pressure Management After Acute Ischemic Stroke. Practical Neurology. March/April 2019: 2-8.
Gomez CR: Time is Brain: The Stroke Theory of Relativity. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2018; 27 (8): 2214-2217.
Morales-Vidal S, Gomez CR, Block HS, and Biller J: Cardiac catheterization: Neurologic Complications. Available at www.medlink.com. Last updated: March 5, 2018.
Ruland S, Gomez CR, and Biller J: Basilar artery stroke. Available at www.medlink.com. Last updated: October 3rd, 2018.
Joyce C, Gomez CR: Reimagining ARUBA: Theoretical Optimization of the Treatment of Unruptured Brain Arteriovenous Malformations. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2018; 27 (11): 3100-3107.
Orjuela KD, Gomez CR. Stroke syndromes and their anatomic localization. In: Greenamyre JT, editor-in-chief. MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. Available at www.medlink.com. Last updated: April 27, 2017.
Gomez CR, Schneck MJ and Biller J. Recent advances in the management of transient ischemic attacks [version 1; referees: 2 approved]. F1000 Research 2017, 6 (F1000 Faculty Rev):1893.
Heiferman DM, Reynolds MR, Serrone JC, Biller J, Gomez CR. Cerebral revascularization: Surgical and endovascular approaches. In: Greenamyre JT, editor-in-chief. MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. Available at www.medlink.com. Last updated: November 9, 2017.