Education & Training
- University of Florida College of Medicine
- University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Dr. McCrae is a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry in the School of Medicine at the University of Missouri where she directs the Mizzou Sleep Research Lab. She is a licensed psychologist who is board certified in Behavioral Sleep Medicine (CBSM) through the American Board of Sleep Medicine. Dr. McCrae received a bachelor’s degree with highest honors in psychology from the Pennsylvania State University and her master’s and doctoral degrees in clinical psychology from Washington University in St. Louis. She competed a postdoctoral fellowship in behavioral sleep medicine at the University of Memphis. Dr. McCrae has been continuously funded by NIH since 2003. Dr. McCrae has served (or is currently serving) on various review panels (i.e., NIH, American Sleep Medicine Foundation). Currently, she is an Associate Editor for two journals, Behavioral Sleep Medicine and Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
- Chronic insomnia
- Chronic pain
- Heart disease
Areas of Expertise
- Behavioral sleep medicine
- Sleep assessment
- Mechanistic randomized clinical trials involving behavioral interventions
- Insomnia and related comorbid conditions
- Day-to-day variability in sleep and related behaviors
- Mentoring clinical scientists
- Boissoneault, J., Vatthauer*, K., O’Shea, A., Craggs, J., Robinson, M., Staud, R., Berry, R.B., Perlstein, W., Waxenberg, L., & McCrae, C.S. (in press). Low-to-moderate alcohol consumption is associated with hippocampal volume in fibromyalgia and insomnia. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- Graef, D. M., Janicke, D. M., & McCrae, C. S. (in press). Sleep patterns of a primarily obese sample of treatment-seeking children. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
- Krietsch*, K. N., Armstrong, B., McCrae, C., & Janicke, D. (in press). Temporal associations between sleep and physical activity among overweight/obese youth. Journal of Pediatric Psychology.
- Krietsch*, K. N., Lawless, C., Fedele, D. A., McCrae, C. S., & Janicke, D. M. (in press). Influence of asthma status on sleep variability in overweight/obese youth. Journal of Asthma.
- McCrae, C. S., Dzierzewski*, J., McNamara*, J. P. H., Vatthauer, K. E., Roth, A. J., & Rowe, M. A. (in press). Changes in sleep predict changes in affect in older caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s dementia: A multilevel model approach. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences.
- McCrae, C. S., Roth*, A. J., Ford, J., Crew, E. C., Conti, J. B., Berry, R. B., & Sears, S. F. (in press). Differences in psychological adjustment, daytime functioning, and device specific adjustment in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) as a function of sleep disorder diagnosis. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- McNamara*, J. P. H., Wang, J., Holiday, D., Young, J., Paradoa, M., Balkhi, A. M., Fernandez-Baca, J., & McCrae, C. S. (in press). Sleep disturbances associated with cigarette smoking: Results from the 2005-06 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Psychology, Health, & Medicine.
- Mundt*, J. M., Crew*, E. C., Krietsch*, K., Roth*, A., Vatthauer*, K., Robinson, M. E., Staud, R., Berry, R. B., & McCrae, C. S. (in press). Measuring treatment outcomes in comorbid insomnia and fibromyalgia: Concordance of subjective and objective assessments. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
- Shoji, K., Tighe, C., Dautovich*, N.D., & McCrae, C.S. (in press). Beyond mean values: Quantifying intraindividual variability in pre-sleep arousal and sleep in younger and older community-dwelling adults. Sleep Science.
- Shoji, K. D., M.A., Tighe, C. A., Imel, J. L., Dautovich*, N. D., & McCrae, C. S. (in press). Napping in older and younger adults: Forbidden territory? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Tighe, C. A., McCrae, C. S., & Dautovich*, N. D. (in press). Daily social contact in relation to sleep: The role of age. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- Vatthauer*, K. E., Craggs, J. G., Robinson, M. E., Staud, R., Berry, R. B., Perlstein, W. M., & McCrae, C. S. (2015). Sleep is associated with task negative brain activity in fibromyalgia participants with chronic insomnia. Journal of Pain Research, 8, 819-827.
- Williams*, J.M., McCrae, C.S., Rodrigue, J. & Patton, P. (in press). A novel application of a Biopsychosocial Theory in the understanding of disturbed sleep before and after kidney transplantation. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
- Dautovich*, N. D., Shoji, K. D., & McCrae, C. S. (2015). Variety is the spice of life: A microlongitudinal study examining age differences in intraindividual variability in daily activities in relation to sleep outcomes. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences. 70(4), 581-90. PMID: 24326078. Public Access Compliance: Not applicable. Supported by American Psychological Association Science Directorate.
- Floegel, T., Giacobbi, P. R., Jr., Dzierzewski*, J. D., Aiken-Morgan, A, Roberts, B., Marsiske, M., McCrae, C. & Buman, M. (2015). Intervention markers of physical activity maintenance in older adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 39, 487-499.
- McCrae, C. S., O’Shea, A. M., Boissoneault, J., Vatthauer*, K., Robinson, M. E., Staud, R., Perlstein, W. M., & Craggs, J. G. (2015). Fibromyalgia patients have reduced hippocampal volume compared to healthy controls. Journal of Pain Research, 8, 47-52. PMID: pending, PMCID: pending, NIHMSID: pending, (PIF=X.XX)
- Simor, P., Krietsch*, K.N., Koteles, F., & McCrae, C. S. (2015 online). Day to Day Variation of Subjective Sleep Quality and Emotional States – A One-Week Prospective Study. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, DOI 10.1007/s12529-015-9464-4.