Education & Training
University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicin
Commercial Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member or a member of his or her immediate family has a working relationship, such as providing consulting, research, or educational services, with the companies listed below. These relationships have been reported to the University of Missouri and, if appropriate, plans have been established to address potential conflicts. The following relationships were reported as of July 2017.
Synthes USA, INC
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
Wheeler Heart and Vascular Center at CoxHealth
3800 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65807
- Clinical and basic science research into role of inflammatory mediators in multi-trauma patients
- Clinical and basic research into assessment of soft tissue injury and its role in fracture healing
- Clinical research into incidence, identification and treatment of depression in orthopaedic trauma patients
- Clinical research in periarticular fractures of the shoulder and ankle
Areas of Expertise
- Ankle and foot surgery
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Bone and joint diseases
- Knee surgery
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Musculoskeletal infections
- Reconstructive surgery
- Shoulder surgery
Awards & Honors
Honors & Awards
- 2009-2010 Best Doctors in America
- Kurt M.W. Niemann, M.D. Faculty Teaching Award, UAB Orthopaedic Residency, 2001
- President, Honor Council, UT School of Medicine, 1986-1987
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, AO North America
- Member, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Member, Academic Orthopaedic Society
- Member at Large, Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Jefferson County Medical Society
- Member, American Organization for Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Member, Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- Member, AO North America
- Member, Health Information and Management System Society (2007-Present)
Selections from 50 peer-reviewed publications:
- Steeby SF, Harvin WH, Worley JR, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Use of the dedicated orthopaedic trauma room for open tibia and femur fractures: does it make a difference? J Orthop Trauma 2018;32(8):377-380.
- Crist BD, Oladeji LO, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Greenberg DD. Evaluating the duration of prophylactic post-operative antibiotic agents after open reduction internal fixation for closed fractures. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018;19(5):535-540.
- Patel D, Worley JR, Volgas DA, Crist BD. The effectiveness of osteoporosis screening and treatment in the Midwest. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2018. 9: 2151459318765844.
- Hood MA, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Stannard JP, Volgas DA, Crist BD. Prevalence of low vitamin D levels in patients with orthopaedic trauma. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016;45(7):E522-E526.
- Bodendorfer BM, Cook JL, Robertson DS, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Do 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels correlate with fracture complications? J Orthop Trauma. 2016;30(9):e312-e317.
- Della Rocca GJ, Uppal HS, Copeland ME, Volgas DA, Crist BD. Geriatric patients with fractures below the hip are medically similar to geriatric hip fracture patients. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2015;6(1):28-32.
- Robertson DS, Jenkins T, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Effectiveness of Vitamin D therapy in orthopaedic trauma patients. J Orthop Trauma, 2015;29(11):e451-e453.
- Stannard JP, Nuelle CW, McGwin G, Volgas DA. Hinged external fixation in the treatment of knee dislocations: a prospective randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014;96(3):184-191.
- Ponce BA, Thompson KJ, Raghava P, Eberhardt AW, Tate JP, Volgas DA, Stannard JP. The role of medial comminution and calcar restoration in varus collapse of proximal humeral fractures treated with locking plates. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(16):e113(1-7).
- Stannard JP, Bankston L, Futch LA, McGwin G, Volgas DA. Functional outcome following intramedullary nailing of the femur: a prospective randomized comparison of piriformis fossa and greater trochanteric entry portals. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93(15):1385-1391.