Education & Training
Government Medical College
Anatomical & Clin. Pathology
- University of Kansas Medical Center
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
MU Health Care participates with most major managed care organizations. To find out whether MU Health Care is a participating provider in your insurance plan or network, or for information on co-payments and deductibles, please contact your insurance carrier directly.
The main focus of my research deals with various aspects of gastroenterology and gastrointestinal, pancreatobiliary and hepatic pathology, and pathology informatics.
- Pathology with clinical correlations of gastrointestinal tumors
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors
- Liver pathology
- Appendiceal mucinous neoplasms
- Barrett’s esophagus and IBD related dysplasia
- Molecular markers of gastrointestinal tumors
- Pathology Informatics
Areas of Expertise
- Pathologic diagnosis and classification of gastrointestinal tumors, both adult and pediatric
- Pathological diagnosis of non-neoplastic gastrointestinal diseases in biopsy and surgical specimens
- Pathological diagnosis of medical liver and transplant liver pathology
- Pathologic diagnosis and classification of liver tumors
- Pathological diagnosis of pancreatobiliary tumors
Awards & Honors
- ASCP subspecialty grant award – 2016
- USCAP Ambassador 2016- 2018
- ASCP resident representative – 2015-2016
- University of Kansas Pathology Research Forum Award - 2016
- Dr. Ivan Damjanov Outstanding Resident Researcher Award – 2015
- Bill Pfeiffer and Mary Mcfee Outstanding Researcher Award – 2013
- Graduate Assistance Fellowship Scholarship Award, UMKC Women’s Council – 2013
- Yarlagadda DV, Rao P, RaoD - MitosisNet: A Deep Learning Network for Mitosis Detection in Breast Cancer Histopathology Images. In the 2017 IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI 2017), Orlando, FL, 2017 (In Press).
- Rao D, Kimler BF, Nothnick WB, Davis MK, Fan F, Tawfik O.Transgelin : a potentially useful diagnostic marker differentially expressed in triple-negative and non-triple-negative breast cancers.Hum Pathol. 2015 Jun;46(6):876-83. Epub 2015 Mar 10. PMID: 25841305
- Rao D, Nothnick W, Graham A, Fan F, Tawfik O; Transgelin, a Novel Marker That Effectively Distinguishes Endometrial Stromal Tumors from Uterine Smooth Muscle Tumors; The United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology 2014 Annual Meeting, Mod Pathol 27: 304; doi:10.1038/modpathol.2014.15.
- Katib A, Rao D, Rao PR, Williams KB, Grant J, A Prototype of a Low-Cost Cell Phone Application for Tracking the Vaccination Coverage of Children in Rural Communities; Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine; September 2015; CMPB-D-15-00111R1
- Rao D, Kimler BF, Nothnick WB, Davis MK, Fan F, Tawfik O.Transgelin : a potentially useful diagnostic marker differentially expressed in triple-negative and non-triple-negative breast cancers.
- Hum Pathol. 2015 Jun;46(6):876-83. Epub 2015 Mar 10. PMID: 25841305
- Powers B, Persons D, Rao D, Woodroof J, Lin TL. High-Risk Microgranular Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia with a Five-Way Complex Translocation Involving PML-RARA.Case Rep Hematol. 2015;2015:343854. Epub 2015 Jan 26. PMID: 25692052
- Sinh P, Gupta N, Rao DS, Wani S, Sharma P, Bansal A, Allen J, Ketover SR, Rastogi A. Community gastroenterologists can learn diminutive colon polyp histology characterization with narrow band imaging by a computer-based teaching module. Dig Endosc. 2015 Mar;27(3):374-80. Epub 2014 Dec 8. PMID: 25382541
Chalifoux SL, Rao DS, Wani SB, Sharma P, Bansal A, Gupta N, Rastogi A. Trainee participation and adenoma detection rates during screening colonoscopies. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Jul;48(6):524-9. PMID: 24440932
Rastogi A, Rao DS, Gupta N, Grisolano SW, Buckles DC, Sidorenko E, Bonino J, Matsuda T, Dekker E, Kaltenbach T, Singh R, Wani S, Sharma P, Olyaee MS, Bansal A, East JE. Impact of a computer-based teaching module on characterization of diminutive colon polyps by using narrow-band imaging by non-experts in academic and community practice: a video-based study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Mar;79(3):390-8. Epub 2013 Sep 8.PMID: 24021492